My children grieving their dog

Status
Not open for further replies.

newcreature

Puritan Board Freshman
We had two dogs at home: a 3-lb Yorkie-Poo that my husband paid top dollar for at a pet shop as an alternative to a baby, and a 65-lb boxer/ hound mix country dog that we adopted from a family on a farm to be a playmate for the children. Since my husband left in March, our house was foreclosed and I have moved twice with my children.

In the house, we had a back yard and Max had plenty of room to run and jump. He is very active and requires lots of play and exercise. We now live in an apartment and have had to crate train him. He has gone through behavioral issues of using the bathroom in the apartment. Recently, he has been busting out of the crate and destroying things around the apartment. He has caused a lot of damage that I can't afford to pay for. Furthermore, trying to keep up with the vet care for two dogs has been a losing battle. They are both behind on vaccines and routine care. Max seems particularly prone to "stomach bugs" which I can't always follow the recommended treatment plans due to the cost, and have cut corners, foregoing lab work and X-rays. Furthermore, I have lupus and can't always contribute my fair share to walking and exercising him. Sometimes the kids will barely take him out to potty and then bring him back. We were unable to care for this dog.

I have tried to find this dog a home. I posted him online, had people come to the house to meet him, tried rescue agencies, and even posted on Facebook. The children and I have not been able to find a home for this dog. I have been trying since March to no avail.

Today I took him to the pound. It hurt me to do it, but it hurt my kids much more. My 8-year-old son is very upset because he knows that dogs don't go to heaven but he can't seem to understand that they don't go to hell either, they just stop living. My 16-year-old daughter hasn't eaten today and doesn't want to talk about it.

The dog will most likely be euthanized. The children and I were well aware of this. What I really want them to understand is that being a good steward and having dominion means that we would not keep an animal restrained in our apartment that we are unable to properly care for. I want them to grieve, because it is a healthy process. But I want them to get over it well and quickly and realize that this was the best choice for Max and the right thing to do. The dog was unhealthy and unhappy in his current living situation. We still have the little dog, as she is much less of a burden. I know she can't replace the lost dog, but I am prayerful that they will be satisfied to still have a pet at home. Ideally I would have waited until the children were both understanding and accepting before making such a choice, but the dog was breaking out of the crate every single day and destroying the apartment. At the rate he was going we might have been evicted in a month for destroying the property.

Has anyone else out there had to make a choice like this one? How did you handle it? How did you deal with your children?

Angela, certainly needing to be able to keep your children in a stable and safe home is very important. I think that with all the instability (the family breakup, the moves) it is only natural that your children will greatly grieve this animal. Perhaps the best thing you can do is simply to allow for that and be sympathetic to them, and try to do things together as a family that will help to take their minds off of it, and help the home not to feel so empty to them without their beloved pet. Perhaps just empathise and assure them of your love, and that this is what you all still have to hang onto. I will pray for them.

It was a comfort to me when a kitten I loved got smashed in the closing car door of a guest one evening and died in my arms that not a sparrow falls to the ground without our heavenly Father. God cares tenderly for all His creatures, and our delight and love is small reflection of the Father's creative love and care for all His works.

It was a comfort to me when a kitten I loved got smashed in the closing car door of a guest one evening and died in my arms that not a sparrow falls to the ground without our heavenly Father. God cares tenderly for all His creatures, and our delight and love is small reflection of the Father's creative love and care for all His works.

When my beloved cat died, I reminded myself that as God cares for the birds, he obviously cares for the bird eaters!

Angela, being an animal lover, I fully understand the pain. Can someone in your church help find the dog a good home?

dogs don't go to heaven

Well, Angela, I'll give my view. The new earth and heaven (they will be combined when God dwells with us in the final state) will have animals in it. Are they just to be randomly created animals? I have had to put animals to sleep that were dearly loved by my daughter and/or myself. I think it perfectly within all the word of God to be of the mind that when I am on the new earth, if I desire to have a former pet (or pets) of mine there with me, and I ask it of the Lord, He will grant it – i.e., He will bring that one back into being.

Though I am not sure it will be appropriate, as I do not know what our lives will be like there, save for bare glimpses of the glory, wonder, and love that await us. Perhaps I shall not want to – but then again I may. I think it is certainly an option. I would tell my daughter when she was little, Just make sure you are there; and then you may ask your God what you will.

God has given us animals as comforts in a world that is often cold and cruel. He knows how we may love them.

Psalm 84:11 For the LORD God is a sun and shield: the LORD will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly.

Romans 8:32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all
things?

God has given us animals as comforts in a world that is often cold and cruel. He knows how we may love them.

Agreed. For those of us with Autism - with oddball personalities - many in the general public may treat us as such, but pets such as cats and dogs love unconditionally.

I find that generally people most worth knowing have oddball personalities, Stephen :). In some sense, I don't think a person exists who isn't an oddball. God delights in that variety and created us so, just as He delights in the animals.

Thanks guys. I will take all of this to heart. And Stephen, I know how cruel people can be towards others who are not like us. It is not fair. But this may be your opportunity to witness to those mean spirits? Even if not with words, your humble spirit will show them that God's love is everlasting and unconditional.

Just for an update, the children are seeming to come along just fine. They have been enjoying good memories of Max. They both seem to understand that we could not keep him cooped up in that crate, that we did everything in our power to keep him at home and happy, and we diligently looked for a home for him, and that he is in God's care and will not suffer any more. I have gently urged them to talk about their feelings, there has certainly been much to talk about lately. God has blessed us with a wonderful support system in our family and church and we are doing well. Your prayers are appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back