My Church's Purpose/Vision/Etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dekybo

Puritan Board Freshman
I just wanted to hear your thoughts on my church's purpose, vision, strategies, and focus for the new year. I am a part of a local Southern Baptist Church with about 400-500 members.

Here are the notes from this past Sunday's "State of the church address" "sermon".

I. Mission of the church:
1. The Great Commission (Matthew 28:18-20, Acts 1:8)
2. The Great Commandment (Matthew 22:34-40)

II. The Vision of the church:
- Love God, connect with people, change the world

III. The Strategies of our church:
- Acts 2:41-47

1. Love God: through worship and discipleship
2. Connect with people: through fellowship and ministry (the majority of this is done through programs and events like Awana, Youth camps, Sportsman banquet, etc.)
3. Change the world: through evangelism and missions

IV. The Focus of our church for 2019
1. Building completion and dedication (We have added a new sanctuary that should be finished in the spring)
2. Ministry recruitment team (A group of lay-people who are in charge of filling spots in committees, ministries, teaching, etc. as well as encouraging members to step up and participate in the church.)
3. Children's ministry (Hiring a new Children's director)
4. Strengthen the fellowship (mainly through care, biblical accountability, and fellowship; all this provided through small groups)

I wanted to share this with you all because I value all of your wisdom as the PuritanBoard. I tend to be critical of things though I love my church and my leaders. My church is not strong in doctrine or theology. All matters are directed to the Baptist Faith and Message 2000 with so much emphasis on activity I wonder if the truth gets pushed aside. Does all of this seem to be superficial and shallow or am I just being arrogant.

It seems too simplified to me and the Scripture references to the church never make it past Acts.

I have met with our pastor many times, but I have never had the courage to express my concerns. I don't want to complain.

While I am generally skeptical about the usefulness of such statements, the purpose is to inspire without being unduly restrictive; therefore, you have to expect broad strokes and brief suggestions vs. detailed plans.

Given what you say, you could probably ask leadership specifically about discipleship: is there room in their thinking for a "Deeper Doctrine" class or something like that?

You can get all of that at the local YMCA. Find a good church in your area or move to an area that has one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back