My Employee to Me: "You must have no life!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

smhbbag

Puritan Board Senior
So, I was shooting the breeze with one of my employees during a slow time, and I mentioned something about a funny clip I had seen of some t.v. show. The conversation went something like this:

Her: "It's a great show. I watch it every night."
Me: "Sure seems like it, though that clip is all I've ever seen of it."
Her: "You should make time to watch it. Promise you it's worthwhile."
Me: "Oh, I mean I don't get the station it's on. I don't have cable."
Her: "And your satellite doesn't get it?"
Me: "I don't have satellite either."

(At this point she is dazed and confused)...

Her (incredulously): "You just have basic?"
Me: "Yeah, only basic....the few times we actually turn it on, which is mainly for Jeopardy a few times a week."
Her: "Wow, you must have no life!"
Me: "Actually, I'm pretty sure it's the folks stuck in front of t.v.'s all day that have no life." (Just realized how blunt that was after the words came out of my mouth).

There were a few seconds of silence, and her live-in boyfriend (also an employee) sheepishly said, "You know, maybe he has a point." :lol:

I almost died laughing (inside, of course).

Life is in Christ, not the "boob tube"!

We don't even have basic. I get surprised looks at that too.

The TV is a huge distraction. I like some shows, particularly ones that are educational, practical, etc., but most of the stuff that is on day in and day out is simply a waste of life. I wish my family would get rid of ours :(

-----Added 12/25/2008 at 12:16:23 EST-----

Oh yeah and I want to be clear that I actually do have a life. Instead of wasting my time watching TV, I browse the PB and refresh my email and Foxnews for hours. I'm glad I don't have a TV problem! :)

Ours was a wedding present, which is nice for watching dvd's. And my wife is far too addicted to Jeopardy even to think of giving that up.

She hates t.v., but Rain Man's love of The People's Court is but a passing crush compared to my wife's lifelong obsession with Alex Trebek.

Oh yeah and I want to be clear that I actually do have a life. Instead of wasting my time watching TV, I browse the PB and refresh my email and Foxnews for hours. I'm glad I don't have a TV problem! :)

:confused:

:think:

:book2:

:gpl:

:eek:

:lol:

:p

Oh, the irony!

-----Added 12/25/2008 at 12:27:55 EST-----

Ours was a wedding present, which is nice for watching dvd's. And my wife is far too addicted to Jeopardy even to think of giving that up.

She hates t.v., but Rain Man's love of The People's Court is but a passing crush compared to my wife's lifelong obsession with Alex Trebek.

When I have the opportunity I watch Jeopardy. Excellent program.

The TV is a huge distraction. I like some shows, particularly ones that are educational, practical, etc., but most of the stuff that is on day in and day out is simply a waste of life. I wish my family would get rid of ours :(

-----Added 12/25/2008 at 12:16:23 EST-----

I am even wondering about Foxnews here lately...they seem so sensational and their content seems to be bordering on the tasteless here this past week. "Fair and Balanced" seems to have turned into faulty opinions, scintillation and focusing on the inane, and trivial. Guess what! Some actress was seen without a bra....let's devote more space to that than the global AIDS crisis, or the war in Africa! Call me brainwashed, but I am becoming an Al-Jazeera fan myself!

Well done!

-----Added 12/25/2008 at 01:25:15 EST-----

Pergy, you're not brainwashed. You're gathering intel.

I am even wondering about Foxnews here lately...they seem so sensational and their content seems to be bordering on the tasteless here this past week. "Fair and Balanced" seems to have turned into faulty opinions, scintillation and focusing on the inane, and trivial. Guess what! Some actress was seen without a bra....let's devote more space to that than the global AIDS crisis, or the war in Africa! Call me brainwashed, but I am becoming an Al-Jazeera fan myself!

I've been feeling the same thing, actually! (Well, minus the Al-Jazeera bit; I've never seen their content.) I like Fox and even CNN when they cover real news. Unfortunately, it seems like they are constantly becoming more about entertainment than information. (Sorry O'Reilly, but I don't care that Ellen Degeneres asked Miley Cyrus about her supposed boyfriend!)

Last edited:
I almost never watch TV. My wife is usually watching Korean soap operas or Japanese TV which don't particularly interest me--bet most of you don't have those channels on your TV!! However, I can sure waste a lot of time surfing the internet.

Of course, if I weren't surfing the internet, I never would have found the Puritan Board!! :lol:

Also, I must admit I have been feeling a little more guilty the last day or so, because I have reading something by Jonathan Edwards where he keeps on insisting we must redeem the time because it is short! :think:

Our tv is slowly but surely dying and we have disided not to get a new one when it finally breaks, so know we just hope that we will be able to live with that choice:lol:

I enjoy TV, even if it's not...(GASP!) educational!!! I try to moderate it so it's not an idol in my life but I think TV today is pretty enjoyable if one is selective.

What's Al-Jazeera? Honestly, that brought up :confused:

We haven't had cable in years. I haven't even hooked up rabbit ears here. Maybe I will some day. But for now we simply use our telly for a movie now and then and for Bible study, when we use a DVD.

Your statements were excellent Jeremy. I have a friend who's a missionary that had someone tell him that he's feels sorry for him because he doesn't get to go to movies, or the amusement park or... a whole list of entertainments and amusements. He withheld response because of the nature of it, but wrote out his thoughts. I'll see if I can get it from him. What it came down to is, "I don't get to go to movies, but I do get to watch people moved by the Word of God daily. I don't get to go to amusement parks, but I am thrilled to see more of Christ." His response probably would have come across as proud and elitist if directed at the man who said these things. But it was full of rich thoughts that help us to focus on the eternal more consistently and less on the temporal pleasures/distractions of life.

I am even wondering about Foxnews here lately...they seem so sensational and their content seems to be bordering on the tasteless here this past week. "Fair and Balanced" seems to have turned into faulty opinions, scintillation and focusing on the inane, and trivial. Guess what! Some actress was seen without a bra....let's devote more space to that than the global AIDS crisis, or the war in Africa!

Haven't they always been like that? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back