My Help Cometh From the Lord

Status
Not open for further replies.

JM

Puritan Board Doctor
My Help Cometh From the Lord

"I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth. He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber. Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep. The LORD is thy keeper: the LORD is thy shade upon thy right hand. The sun shall not smite thee by day, nor the moon by night. The LORD shall preserve thee from all evil: he shall preserve thy soul. The LORD shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore." (Psa 121:1-8)​

"How beautiful, how truly beautiful and soul-refreshing are these words, if considered, first, as spoken by God our Father to the person of his dear Son, as the Mediator and Head of the church; and then as spoken to all his people in him.

Reader! do let me entreat you to pause over this beautiful Psalm, and see whether, under the divine teaching of the Holy Ghost, it doth not correspond to the general analogy of faith, to read it with reference to the ever blessed Jesus. And if so, what a most delightful scripture is it, to behold the sacred persons of the Godhead (as in other scriptures) thus addressing each other: Isa_42:25; Isa_42:25, etc. Ps 89. Jesus having taken our nature into union with the Godhead for the purposes of redemption; now in that nature looks up for the promised help, to carry him safely and honorably through it. And God our Father, beholding with inexpressible complacency his dear Son as the sinner’s surety, thus speaking to him in such a divine way of blessing, keeping, preserving, and conducting him, amidst the sun’s heat, and the moon’s influences, from every danger safely through the whole.

Oh! for grace to look up and bless the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, for this unequalled gift of his dear Son. Oh! for grace to adore the holy and eternal Spirit, both for having brought poor sinners acquainted with this love, and for giving us hearts to believe the record God hath given of his dear Son. And oh! for grace to be ever looking unto thee, thou dear Emmanuel, who though thou wast rich, yet for our sakes didst become poor, that we through thy poverty might be made rich. Reader! while thus making Jesus the sum and substance of this divine Psalm, forget not that it is as the head of his church and people, that he thus appears.

All the promises here made to him, are in him made to his people also. God in Christ is the keeper, the shade, the helper, the stay of all his redeemed. He will keep the feet of his saints, and the wicked shall be silent in darkness before him, 1Sa_2:9. In all the exercises of his faithful, in going out or coming home, Jesus will go before them, and the God of Israel will be their reward.

Oh! the blessedness of the Israel of God; oh! the glory, grace, and love of the God of Israel."

Robert Hawker, Poor Man's Commentary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back