My New Puppy

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANT

Puritan Board Junior
I picked up a new puppy over the weekend while I was in South Florida. I have wanted a dog like this for a long time. She is an American Bulldog / Pit Bull mix. (Her daddy was the American Bulldog - about 95 lbs, her momma was the Pit Bull - about 80 lbs. Needless to say she is going to be a big dog. She is now 15 weeks old.

Here are a couple pics.

f4389f56.jpg

f4389f50.jpg

My family loves her already and she is great company for my other dog (German Shephard / Chow mix.)

Where are the pics?

andreas:candle:

Ah ,i can see them now.They are great.

[Edited on 5-6-2005 by andreas]

She looks so sweet - I don't think I could handle the snoring, though. They all snore, don't they?

The dog maybe sweet now but horribly mean later... that's a bad combination... it's going to be huge and have the temperment of a pit bull. My cousin has an American bulldog that is really good dog, but won't breed it with a neighboring pit bull.

Pitbulls are fine if raised right - she must go to obedience school and be evaluated for aggression toward dogs & people, also not be around small children unsupervised. But I know she won't be trained to be mean or used in staged fights or fed gunpowder so she'll probably be fine. I've met these dogs - they're high-maintenance but usually sweet. It's all about the owner.

[Edited on 5-10-2005 by turmeric]

Everyone is a Pit Bull expert it seems without ever actually owning one. They get bad raps because of idoit owners, poor breeding practices, puppy peddlers, and of course the wonderful news media. There are also alot of mutts that are labeled "pit bulls" and passed off as them. Don't believe the hype people. Pit bull attacks make a good news flash headline and it seems its ben the popular "breed" to exploit for the last decade. Bottom line is that the APBT is one of the most wonderful, smart, diverse, and smartest breeds around. The American Bulldogs are fine dogs as well but tend to be more human aggressive and better guard dogs. I would never ever encourage the cross breeding of an APBT with any breed because honestly it is asking for trouble. When you take a dog that has never been "historically" human aggressive and mix it with another breed that is..... you just need to be careful. APBT's are breed to be the ultimate fighting dog and they are hands down the best at what they do. This is not to be confused with human aggression and it is a big difference. Human aggression should never be tolerated by a Pit Bull and it should never be trained for or in this area. Its taking them out of there element and once again its asking for trouble.

Genetics are the determining factor in dogs and NOT the owner or the tired phrase "it's all in how you raise them" Training and raising your dog right does help and it is highly encourage. Be responsible, honest and cautious with ALL dogs and animals. Dont ever put youself or you dog in a potentially bad situation. Also dont be suprised if one day you two dogs don't get along with each other. Spay and or nueter both ASAP. And most of all ENJOY your dog and realize that pets are a gift from God!!!!! What a wonderful creator!:cool:

[Edited on 5-10-2005 by Caka]

Travis,
I must respectfully disagree, although at the same time I DO agree with all of the nice things you wrote about the pits.

A couple years back, I owned a red pit. He was the cutest, sweetest, best-trained, most awesome dog that I've ever seen in my life. In fact, he was the love of my life. Every morning when I got up I'd immediately go to where he was sleeping (on my couch) and I'd hug and kiss 'em for 15 minutes! He was just so adorable I couldn't get enough of him!

He had no problem being around strangers, kids, etc. Even if the UPS man, etc. would come to the door, I'd open it up and my dog would be real friendly toward them. Well one day he wanted to go out back and as usual I just opened the glass sliding door for him. For some reason, he saw my neighbor out in his back yard spraying some weeds and he just charged him! He went full bore snarling, growling, etc. in all-out assault mode. And he made it to him in about 3 seconds!

Well, because of that, and for the reason that I would NEVER be able to trust him again (we had elderly and kids living nearby), I had to have him put to sleep. (In fact, I did it myself out in the woods). Losing him was the most traumatic, painful experience that I've ever had to go through and to this day I miss him terribly!

He was neutered and had a 7-year track record of good behavior. He never did ONE thing wrong. NEVER went to the bathroom in the house, not even once. He was a perfect little angel. Except, of course, for his last, ultimate "bad deed".

:tombstone:

New dog

As far as kids go, I don't trust any dog fully (including mine) around my kids. Dogs are animals, and with kids we need to be carful, but this is especially true around powerful dogs.

As a fun side note: My buddy had a pit bull, it was the coolest, sweetest dog, one of those dogs that obeyed every command, hopped in the front seat with his owner, went everywhere with him (occasionally he would cut lose on another dog, so that was not good) Anyway, we lived in AZ and this dog was nuts for going in the pool. We noticed that when the bone that sank would miss the shallow steps, the dog would fully submerge its head to get it. Well next thing you know, that dog could dive to the bottom of the deep end to get that bone. I would'nt believe it without seeing it. But that muscle bound heavy body allowed that dog to swim down 8 feet. Pretty amazing. He'd come up happy as a clam and ready to go again.

I'm not condoning this, who knows, maybe it's bad for the dog, but it was pretty cool to see.

Nice! I just got a '99 Ford Expedition about 3 weeks ago. What a great ride. The best feature (since I have 5 kids) is that it can sit 8 people comfortably, and everyone can control their own AC (no more complaining that it's too hot in the back seat.) :up:

Yeah,I feel we got a pretty good deal on it.It is a 98 and has 125,000 miles.Bought it for around 4,000.It even has a DVD player too.

[Edited on 5-12-2005 by Average Joey]

Originally posted by Joseph Ringling

I heard those "pups" are always playing dead.:bigsmile:

J/K

I really do hope your are just kidding.Joey paranoid and will be going to disneyworld in two weeks.God willing.

It's a Ford. I wouldn't own one unless divine influence intervened. I have seen to many head gaskets blown on Fords.

Originally posted by puritancovenanter
It's a Ford. I wouldn't own one unless divine influence intervened. I have seen to many head gaskets blown on Fords.

I am blessed however with a brother who is a great mechanic and he said that explorers are okay.Even if something goes wrong it is very easy to find the parts to fix it and inexpensive.

Hey Anthony...

haven't seen you in a while..good to hear some of the Lord's blessings in your life. I myself just recently adopted a Pit Bull/Labrador mix. Her name is Maya and she is the absolute sweetest dog I have ever had...and I have owned a lot of dogs. But she and my chow/labrador mix cannot be in the same room. They want to kill each other. In fact the only time I have ever seen any of my dogs show aggressive behavior is towards each other...and man it is intense! I mean they hate each other!

Melody (chow mix) is a lot bigger than Maya...but both are very calm and well trained. Any advice for getting them to get along?

Hey John,
Not too much advice ...
I would have to weigh all the facts ...
age ... sex ... breed ... do behavior testing to find out the differing personalities ... etc.
Some dogs, no matter what you do, will not tolerate any other dogs of a cerain sex, and sometimes will not toletate any dogs at all.
Personally, I would never keep 2 dogs at my house who hated each other. That will do nothing but stress them out and lead to more problems.
On the other hand ... you could always try obedience training ... taking them both to work together with a trainer.
Just my :2cents:

cool...I will try the obedience training thing...they have been trained seperately, but not together. Melody...the chow mix, just moved back into my parents house with my sister. I am trying to get Maya to stay with me, but right now my landlords aren't allowing me to have a dog. But I will more than likely get a mortgage on the house I am renting soon and will then have Maya with me(pit mix). God bless you brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back