My Pulpit Sermon - Looking Unto Jesus as the Author and Finisher of Our Faith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puritanhead

Puritan Board Professor
Greetings in the name of Jesus Christ:

Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
"”Hebrews 12:2
Here is one of my pulpit sermons posted on my blog... and attached is an Adobe Acrobat PDF file of it as well, which is much easier to read on the eyes....

Extra-Biblical Illustrations
I admittedly wrestle sometimes over the use of extra-Biblical illustrations such as those that I used within. i.e., D-Day and V-Day, invoking history as analogy. But I'm sticking with this... I will wrestle with it, after I deliver it. I might contemplate pruning extraneous materials such as the Great Crusade speech at the end, though I memorized that in college. It's no big deal to recall. I've updated this sermon and I have used it before... perhaps I will add audio soon, but I would prefer to use audio from the forthcoming updated version rather than the previous one I used beforehand. The old version was 27 minutes... and this updated version times out at about 37-40 minutes... After I get comfortable in my hopefully up coming paralegal job, I'm going to different churches as guest speaker perhaps, and I will make a run with this one before I go back to drawing board and contemplate another one.

The Ordo Salutis (Order of Salvation)
FYI Ordo Salutis

James White's The God Who Justifies is a good overview of the doctrine of justification by faith alone. John Murray's book Redemption Accomplished and Applied is a nice introduction to the ordo salutis by the way, though it is too technical or theological in-depth to cite or make mention of in a sermon. Granted, one could do an elaborate freestanding sermon on each and every doctrine covered herein. This sermon illustrates how God works in redemptive history, as well as the life of the believer.

I welcome Constructive Criticism
Any constructive criticism is welcome, such as critiques of grammar/syntax, transitions, doctrine, etc.... I'm a big boy, you won't hurt my feelings. Though, I prefer that you U2U me about anything doctrinal or about my illustrations. I think it is prudent not to dialogue or debate publicly directly about one's sermon over the Internet, I trust you the reader will respect this courtesy that I ask for.

Anyway, thanks for your attention.

:pilgrim: Puritanhead

[Edited on 6-18-2006 by Puritanhead]

Was this 24 page document turned in for a class? Or do you actually take this whole thing up to the pulpit?

It sort of breaks up the rhythm to not have a phase to ascribe to adoption. Where do you address conversion?

Originally posted by SolaScriptura
Was this 24 page document turned in for a class? Or do you actually take this whole thing up to the pulpit?
I've been out of college since spring '04, and never was a seminarian, but a pre-law and law student, though I was set to be a joint law and divinity student in 2003 with divinity put off until after law... Unfortunately, I could afford neither. FYI I've taken no more than 15 credit hours of Bible and theology classes-- equivalent of minor, but that was long before I wrote the sermon. All things considered, that sorta precludes me from using it for a class.

So, the answer is NO.
:)

This sermon has been delivered before minus the doctrine of adoption, and with less materials on justification by faith alone (i.e. confessional readings), and was somewhat shorter, for a delivery time of 27 minutes.

Originally posted by SolaScriptura
It sort of breaks up the rhythm to not have a phase to ascribe to adoption. Where do you address conversion?

I agree. I thought about calling it the familial phase, but I cannot think of anything.

I do think that the ordo can be presented without certain doctrines, such as adoption and conversion for example. Some might disagree.

[Edited on 5-15-2006 by Puritanhead]

[Edited on 5-15-2006 by Puritanhead]

**BUMP**

I revised this sermon again and correcting the links above, and I'm still wanting to tweak the Justification part, because it is pivotal. I had some typos made because I was transcribing it from paper to a computer again before. I only caught them afterwards.

Thanks to R.V.B. for pointing out some syntax, phrasing problems, and critiquing it.

I am constrained by time somewhat, and want to keep in under forty minutes. I don't feel satisfied fully with it, but I'm still tweaking it.

Here is the updated Adobe Acrobat file

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back