My Roman Catholic mom...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpavich

Puritan Board Freshman
I believe that this is a good thing but I'm not certain...

My mom is almost 80 now and she's got all her facilities for someone her age...yes, I hear the same stories a lot but generally, she's in good shape.

While I was visiting last week (we live on opposite coasts) we got to talking about my older sister and her anger at God and her rebellion. My mom; not wanting to ever think that my sister would go to Hell, said that she is sure that God wouldn't send her to hell, that's not right.

My other sister piped up and point blank asked my mother; "so how do you think someone gets to heaven?"

I've asked my mother before and got a bit of a muddled answer, but my mom said simply; "That we believe that Christ died for our sins, he's the only way."

And I said "so...nothing else? nothing that we do helps?"

She said "no..."

so I left it at that.

Now my mother has been catholic all her life, she still attends every Sunday. I'm sure if you asked her about confessing to a priest, she'd say yes, that's necessary to be forgiven, etc.

So on the one hand she obviously gave the right answer; Jesus is sufficient, but she's "muddled" in that I"m sure that she'd say other contradictory things also, not realizing that what she's saying is in direct conflict with the other statements.

I THINK that she understands the gospel, but I'm never sure...

I guess there is no question here....just venting.

Robert, I hope you don't mind this... :hug:Praying for yours and for all of our family members who remain in the Catholic Church.

Margaret

I think I know how you feel Robert - I grew up Roman Catholic and most of my family is RC. But there's a big range in beliefs, and some people, like my Dad, I have no doubt that they are born again believers, but other people I'm pretty sure they haven't "gotten it." I sure didn't despite growing up in a devote Catholic home and attending Catholic school. But I was still saved while attending Catholic church, and I believe others are too. There's just a lot more to distract you from the simple Gospel there.

We carry a heavy burden, we who love the "maybe"-saved - but the Lord Jesus Christ is with us, Robert, and He's always interceding for us!

Margaret

Robert, I would never doubt God's goodness in a situation like this one. I am very sure that there are many Catholics who have legitimately turned to Christ, in a saving way, in spite of the Catholic influences in their lives.

Robert, my mother is the exact same way and age and mental condition. I've presented the Gospel, given her sermons on CD, books, a Bible, etc. She's even "walked the aisle" at a Billy Graham crusade that my sister took her to. Then she returned to her Catholic church and her rituals. She rattles her rosary beads, goes to mass, is told by her "priest" that she's a Christian, and when she dies the RC's will hold a "mass of Christian burial" for her. Like you, I don't know what else to do that would get the message across. The most powerful thing we can do is pray, perhaps the only thing.

Praying for your mother. :pray2:

thank you everyone for your prayers and support...it really means a lot to me.

God bless,
bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back