My Summer Reading Stack

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamistThomist

Puritanboard Clerk
img_20190531_184921.jpg

How long will it take you to read those (how long per book with page count)?

Do you take requests? I have some stuff I’d like to see a review of.

With all that reading, when are you going to have time to split and stack the firewood you’ll need to survive the winter?

Lewis, Selected Essays
Plutarch
Herodotus
Edmund Spenser
Jane Austen, Mansfield Park
Boswell's Life of Johnson

I predict that you'll love James Boswell's Life of Samuel Johnson, in which case, here's two more you should read:

Samuel Johnson, edited by David Womersley; 21st-Century Oxford Authors series (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2018). This is a 1,294-page anthology of Johnson's writings, covering his entire life as a writer. The selections are arranged chronologically, not by genre, so you get a sense of his growth and development as a writer.

The Club: Johnson, Boswell, and the Friends Who Shaped an Age by Leo Damrosch (New Haven: Yale University Press, 2019). It's a volume of biographies of Johnson and the friends of his who were members of The Literary Club, founded by Johnson and Sir Joshua Reynolds in 1763. Some of the most brilliant intellectuals and writers of the 18th century were members. There's lot of fascinating details about the London Johnson knew.

Is the point to impress us? I see these kinds of posts on social media and they usually strike me as somewhat braggadocious.

Is the point to impress us? I see these kinds of posts on social media and they usually strike me as somewhat braggadocious.

No. I think this is the only picture I have posted on PB. I have nothing to impress. I know who I am. People always ask me what I am reading, so I posted it.

No. I think this is the only picture I have posted on PB. I have nothing to impress. I know who I am. People always ask me what I am reading, so I posted it.
Though I am sure it wasn't your intention, these kinds of things just strike me as vain displays of erudition. Godly individuals indulging in such behavior online is sadly very common.

My various reading has helped people. I woke up this morning to a message from a PhD candidate asking me for advice. I don't do this for myself (Or only a little bit). If I wanted to be vain and boastful, I would have posted all of the books I am reading. I didn't do that because my Wal Mart flip phone doesn't really take pictures and I really didn't know how to work my daughter's kindle fire.

My various reading has helped people. I woke up this morning to a message from a PhD candidate asking me for advice. I don't do this for myself (Or only a little bit). If I wanted to be vain and boastful, I would have posted all of the books I am reading. I didn't do that because my Wal Mart flip phone doesn't really take pictures and I really didn't know how to work my daughter's kindle fire.
Brother, you misread me. Admitting it was "wasn't your intention" to be vain or boastful while at the same time explaining my initial post on the grounds that many are, is not mutually exclusive. I do sincerely accept your explanation. I was only explaining my initial response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back