My Two-Cents on Windows Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archlute

Puritan Board Senior
I just received my new laptop yesterday. It came with Windows Vista Home Premium installed. I booted it up, read the tutorials in about a half hour, and it's all over - no pain, no confusion.

I actually think that it is a significant improvement over Windows XP. The layout is clean, and understanding it seemed to be quite intuitive. The graphics are great, and the rotating 3D display of your running programs is a pretty cool piece of eye candy. It runs my old Office Professional 2000 suite, and Bibleworks 5.0 (after a patch for the fonts) without a glitch. The 3GB of RAM allow it to run very smoothly, and I have had no problem with freeze ups, crashes, or slow performance.

The OS came pre-installed, and I wonder if most of the complaints have come from people attempting to upgrade from XP as opposed to a clean installation, or with insufficient RAM?

Anyway, I'm very pleased with it. No problems here.

I like it too for the bells and whistles Adam. Vista is a bit buggy on a couple of my upgraded machines but the bugs don't keep me from getting things done. I find the new Explorer interface to be the most convenient.

Sure Adam, if a guy reads tutorials and instructions.
I suppose that approach could work.
I hear that works with all kinds of stuff. You have almost convinced me to start doing that.

Adam, it works fine for me. I have 6 gigs of RAM (overkill) and no problems.

My Dads is terrible but I just found out he only has 1 gig of ram. Does he need more Ram?

My PC has 1.0 GB Memory and 200GB Hard Drive and a 3500 AMD Athlon 64
processor. I am not computer savvy so I don't know if that's good or not. When I bought it two years ago I thought I had enough but now I'm not so sure. It's a lot better then what I used to have though. My last PC ran Windows ME and was real slow and Kept crashing all the time. made me wish I never had bought or looked at a PC.

My Dads is terrible but I just found out he only has 1 gig of ram. Does he need more Ram?

processor. I am not computer savvy so I don't know if that's good or not. When I bought it two years ago I thought I had enough but now I'm not so sure. It's a lot better then what I used to have though. My last PC ran Windows ME and was real slow and Kept crashing all the time. made me wish I never had bought or looked at a PC.

If you can get to 2 GB RAM, then it will be just great for Vista. You know, I used Windows ME once.

Once.

If you can get to 2 GB RAM, then it will be just great for Vista. You know, I used Windows ME once.

Once.

'Tis true. The reason being that the Vista OS takes up 80% of your 1 Gig just for itself, leaving you with a measly 200 MB. Everything that I had read stated that 2 Gigs was the satisfactory minimum.

Once.

'Tis true. The reason being that the Vista OS takes up 80% of your 1 Gig just for itself, leaving you with a measly 200 MB. Everything that I had read stated that 2 Gigs was the satisfactory minimum.

And you really ought to just get 3 Gig for the best performance. You can use most of 4 (3.4 to be exact, if memory serves, but because of the limitations of a 32-bit system you can't practically use all 4 Gb). Bill's 6pack is truly overkill ('cause unless he's hotwired something, or if he's using Vista-64, he can't access more than about 3.4Gb).

I've just ordered a 2.4 GHz tablet PC from Toshiba, and it'll run Vista, with 4 Gb installed (plus a 1Gb disk cache for faster access time). :)

It does, but understand that Vista utilizes the RAM and processor on faster computers much better than XP. While I am not a big fan of Vista, I must still be balanced and acknowledge the perks.

The graphics are great, and the rotating 3D display of your running programs is a pretty cool piece of eye candy.Anyway, I'm very pleased with it. No problems here.

Best Buy finally replaced my old computer (after 8 separate trips to get it fixed!!!). The new one has 3GB of memory and seems to run very well with Vista Home Premium.

Adam, how do you get the rotating 3D displays of your running programs? I have heard of it but never knew how to do it.

Dennis

3ddesk--goto-2-small-i.png

Ctrl + Alt + Left/Right

Oops, sorry. You meant with Vista. :p

danmpem;404693 If you can get to 2 GB RAM said:
I've got 2 GB RAM. But I still got rid of Vista and went back to XP because it was so slow. I know I'll have to get it in the future, but I'm going to make sure I've got at least 4 GB RAM first.

I've got 2 GB RAM. But I still got rid of Vista and went back to XP because it was so slow. I know I'll have to get it in the future, but I'm going to make sure I've got at least 4 GB RAM first.

Good move in upgrading to XP! :smug:

I'm not all that crazy about it. I have it on my personal laptop and had it on my PC at work. All that whiz bang=resource hog. After Vista went belly up from a update, I reisntalled XP on my office PC (which isn't a slouch - 3 Ghz Dual Core Pentium, 2GB Ram) and saw exactly how much faster XP is over Vista.

Of course, my OS of choice is Linux. Will probably wipe my laptop and install Linux in the near future.

The graphics are great, and the rotating 3D display of your running programs is a pretty cool piece of eye candy.Anyway, I'm very pleased with it. No problems here.

Best Buy finally replaced my old computer (after 8 separate trips to get it fixed!!!). The new one has 3GB of memory and seems to run very well with Vista Home Premium.

Adam, how do you get the rotating 3D displays of your running programs? I have heard of it but never knew how to do it.

Dennis

Start + Tab for Flip 3D
Alt + Tab for regular Flip

Okay, for fun I pressed Ctrl + Alt + Left to see what would happen on XP :lol: And yes, it does do something!

(and Ctrl + Alt + Up will fix it ;) )

Dennis

Start + Tab for Flip 3D

There is also an icon located in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen on your task bar. If you select it, it stays in 3D mode w/o needing to keep the above keys depressed. You use the up/right or down/left keys to rotate your screens, and if you want to exit that mode then you can select the desktop icon to the left of the 3D icon.

Dennis

Start + Tab for Flip 3D
What is the "start" button? The one with the windows logo?

Yes.

Once.

I take it that Once, was more then enough? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back