My Two-Cents on Windows Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best Buy finally replaced my old computer (after 8 separate trips to get it fixed!!!). The new one has 3GB of memory and seems to run very well with Vista Home Premium.

Adam, how do you get the rotating 3D displays of your running programs? I have heard of it but never knew how to do it.

Dennis

Start + Tab for Flip 3D
Alt + Tab for regular Flip

There is also an icon located in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen on your task bar. If you select it, it stays in 3D mode w/o needing to keep the above keys depressed. You use the up/right or down/left keys to rotate your screens, and if you want to exit that mode then you can select the desktop icon to the left of the 3D icon.

Thanks! :cool:

Start + Tab for Flip 3D
Alt + Tab for regular Flip

There is also an icon located in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen on your task bar. If you select it, it stays in 3D mode w/o needing to keep the above keys depressed. You use the up/right or down/left keys to rotate your screens, and if you want to exit that mode then you can select the desktop icon to the left of the 3D icon.
I do not see this. Also, pressing start+tab is not making it happen, either.

Do you have Vista Basic or Premium? Only the Premium and Ultimate editions have this feature.

Dude! That's wicked! I've never seen such before....

3ddesk--goto-2-small-i.png

Ctrl + Alt + Left/Right

Oops, sorry. You meant with Vista. :p

It's Linux - the best thing to happen to computers since Moore's law.

My Dads is terrible but I just found out he only has 1 gig of ram. Does he need more Ram?

Turn of the Aero interface. MS recommends the min of 1gig of mem and 128mb video card for the interface to work. It will slow down the system. You can ddd another gig of memory if you want to keep the interface and work at a decent speed.

You go under the personlinization settings then Window Color and Appearance, then if you have to click open classic appearnce settings and choose Windows Vista Basic. You loose the pretty 3D graphic interface but you gain back some memory. MS Home Premium min requirements are
A 1 GHz 32-bit or 64-bit processor
1 GB of system memory
A 40 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of free space
At least 128 MB of graphics memory
The reason why is because of the Aero Interface. That is why the Vista Home edition minium requirements are only 512mb of RAM and a video card with less memory. Vista Home Standard does not provide the Aero interface.

I'm running Vista now on my new computer. I love the new OS. But I can't stand the Office redesign of the toolbar. I called MS to complain that I didn't like the new design of MS Office toolbars. They said to me, "Waaaaaaaaaaa!"

haha!

scanning for viruses

My only problem with Vista is the annoying "must check every bit of info for a virus" thing that it does.

do not get annoyed at vista when the antivirus does this virus scan as the only real virus scan is a thorough one. if the antivirus overlooks a single file it can easily contract an infection in the system. and believe me viruses can get past antiviruses very easily regardless of how upto date the antiviruses are as the antiviruses are only as good as the definitions for viruses they have provided by the manufacturer.

Matthew "umve" Unverferth
affiliation (RPCGA)
Largo, Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back