Is.61:3
"To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion:
to give unto them beauty for ashes,
the oil of joy for mourning,
the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness;​
that they might be called trees of righteousness,
the planting of the LORD,​
that he might be glorified."

Such grief for you. I only can hope for you that you'll have a taste of the ecstasy that she's delighting in, now gone to Jehovah's presence. May He keep you as you long for her. Know that she does not miss this place at all, brother. She has gone to her heavenly reward! I remind to you these thoughts of Dr. Martin Luther as his little Magdelena expired:

As his daughter lay very ill, Dr. Luther said: "I love her very much, but dear God, if it be Thy will to take her, I submit to Thee." Then he said to her as she lay in bed: "Magdalene, my dear little daughter, would you like to stay here with your father, or would you willingly go to your Father yonder?" She answered: "Darling father, as God wills." Then he said, "Dearest child, the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak." Then he turned away and said: "I love her very much; if my flesh is so strong, what can my spirit do? God has given no bishop so great a gift in a thousand years as he has given me in her. I am angry with myself that I cannot rejoice in heart and be thankful as I ought."...Now as Magadalene lay in agony of death, her father fell down before the bed on his knees and wept bitterly and prayed that God might free her. Then she departed and fell asleep in her father's arms. As they laid her in the coffin he said: "Darling Lena, you will rise and shine like a star, yea, like the sun. I am happy in spirit, but the flesh is sorrowful and will not be content, the parting grieves me beyond measure. I have sent a saint to heaven." At her burial when the lid of the coffin was being hammered shut he was said to have called out, "Hammer away! On Resurrection Day she’ll rise again!”

In this we saints have hope!

Richard,

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. The story of your wife and your love for her is heartwarming. I am glad to know that she did not suffer in her passing, and that her salvation is sure. I am praying for you and your children that the good Lord will continue to comfort and give you peace. One day you will see her again and until that time, God be with you.

Angela

Sorry to hear this Richard, but glad to hear that she is present with the Lord, forever beyond illness and pain. Praying that the Lord will help you come to terms with your great loss.

Dear Richard, I am very sorry for your loss. Praying for you and yours, and trusting the Father of mercies and the God of all comfort will minister all that you need.

I am sorry for your great loss. May God comfort you all. Thanks for loving her so well and making her happy to have a caring husband.

My deepest sympathies, brother. May you and your family know the peace of Christ in these painful days, and may you rest in the assurance that she is with the same Lord who comforts you.

Grace and peace to you.

Richard,
I'm very sorry to hear about your wife. May our Heavenly Father comfort you as only He can. "Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of His saints". Psa 116:15.
Jim

I feel for the terrible loss you have sustained, Richard. From the hymn, "Be still, my soul",

Be still, my soul: when dearest friends depart,
And all is darkened in the vale of tears,
Then shall you better know his love, his heart,
Who comes to soothe your sorrow and your fears.
Be still, my soul: your Jesus can repay
From his own fullness all he takes away.

I am so sorry for your loss brother. Praying the Lord will comfort you and your family through this..

Very sad for you Richard. I have lifted you up before the Lord. May He comfort you during this time of great sorrow with the knowledge that death is an enemy but an ultimately defeated foe.

Many, many thanks to all. One of the few things keeping my head above water right now is the knowledge that she has been perfected - no diseases, no conditions, no sins, and no sin nature, and in the presence of her Savior - and she will be this way for all eternity. As long as I remind myself of this, life is somewhat tolerable. Puttering around the house with necessary household chores also helps. Life doesn't care how you feel. Things still need to get done. Our three grown children have been wonderful to me, also.

The memorial service for Gloria is tomorrow afternoon (March 2). I'm steeling myself for it. God will be glorified, but I'll probably feel like I'm getting my heart ripped out of my chest all over again.

Well, Gloria's memorial service went very well. The church was pretty much packed out. Lots of people wore red (her favorite color). During the time we had for sharing memories of her, several people got up and really demonstrated my wife's wonderful character and personality. I got up last (as planned) and managed to get through my time without breaking down completely. Many tears were shed (including by our usually no-nonsense, steel-nerved former New Yorker pastor), many hugs were exchanged, and God was glorified in Jesus Christ throughout. At Gloria's insistence (because of her many physical problems, we had discussed her memorial service - if needed - in advance), a simple but strong gospel presentation was included in the pastor's sermon (there were many unbelievers in attendance). She wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

At the end, emotionally exhausted but glad that God had been praised, I looked at the time to discover that nearly 2 hours had gone by.

By the way, a female friend of mine was unable to attend, but she told me she would wear a red scarf on Saturday for Gloria - and she had never met my wife!

Tears shed here with you, brother! What a sweet and tender testimony of our God's faithfulness to His people, even in the midst of heartaches! One day, on the shores of that river that flows from His throne, I will rejoice with you and Gloria, because Jesus "was delivered up for our trespasses and raised for our justification"!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back