Naming in baptism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
When did the practice of naming the child at their baptism fall out of fashion? I have never been able to pin this down, though I suspect it has something to do with industrialisation and urbanisation.

Naming the child has fallen out of fashion? We still do it. It is also required by the PCA's BCO.

Naming the child has fallen out of fashion? We still do it. It is also required by the PCA's BCO.

Sorry, what I meant by naming was that the baptism is the first occasion in which the child is publicly named. So, when a minister says, "I baptise you, Andrew Barnes, ..." it is the first time that the child's name has publicly been made known.

AH. Got it. Yeah people normally name their child before they are even born. This is probably having to do with modern medicine and the ability to know whether the child is male/female before birth. We did this. If you know it is a boy for instance, why not name the child? That's the typical thought.

My guess is that there are two factors. First is infant mortality. Many babies were miscarried or died in childbirth (including but not exhausting the estimated 2% maternal mortality). In 16th century England, I've seen infant mortality rates (born live but died before age 1) around 14%. About 30% of people died before age 15.

The second, and perhaps even more important factor, is that the modern period saw the role of keeping records passed from the church to the state. Birth, marriage, and death were not always legal affairs in the way they are now.

20. Of parents' care to give a fit name to their child at his baptism.

A third matter of great expediency about a child's baptism, is, that Parents be careful in giving a fit name.

It belongeth to parents to give the name to their child: for so holy parents [whose pattern in Scripture is in this respect commended unto us] have done from time to time: and for their warrant to do it, it is worthy to be noted, that when God was pleased to appoint a name to a child, he gave in charge to the parent so to name him, saying to him, Thou shalt call his name thus and thus (Gen 17:19; Matt 1:21; Luke 1:13).

It is also evident, that the time of baptism is the fittest time for giving the name. Under the Law, children's names were given at their circumcision (Luke 1:59; 2:21): and so under the Gospel it hath in all ages been used: and that for these reasons.

1. That their names may be a testimony of their baptism.
2. That so oft as they hear their names, they may be put in mind of their baptism.
3. That they might know how by name they are given to Christ to be his soldiers, and therefore there must be no starting
from him.
4. That they may also be assured, that being baptized with water and the Spirit, by name they are registered in heaven.
Now because names are so solemnly given, and of so good use, most meet it is that fit names should be given to children. And for proof hereof, let the names which in Scripture are recorded to be given by God himself, and by such holy men and women as were guided by his Spirit, be observed; and we shall find them to be holy, sober, and fit names.

For direction to parents in this duty, I will set down some sorts and kinds of names as be fit, and beseeming Christians.

1. Names which have some good signification: and among them such as are warranted by the Scripture, as John [the grace of God], Jonathan [the gift of God], Andrew [manly], Clement [meek], Simeon [obedient], Hannah [gracious], Prudence [wife] and such like: that thus their name may stir them up to labour after the virtue signified thereby.
2. Names which have in times before us been given to persons of good note, whose life is worthy our imitation, as Isaac, David, Peter, Mary, Elizabeth and such like: that the names may move them to imitate those worthies.
3. Names of our own and ancestors and predecessors, to preserve a memory of the family: which appeareth to have been an ancient practice even among God's people, in that the friends would have had Zachariah's son named Zachariah (Luke 1:59); and when the mother had just cause to name him John they answer, none of thy kindred is called by his name.
4. Usual names of the country, which custom hath made familiar, as Henry, Edward, Robert, William and such like among us.

Of Domestical Duties

I imagine that Ministers these days would have a hard time holding a straight face at times, given the names some parents choose for their children nowadays.
A couple of parents obsessed with the internet chose Google and Hashtag and others Popeye and Yoga. Imagine having to say Popeye :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back