Naphtali Press artist awarded

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
PumpkinGillespie.jpg
Congratulations are due David Gillespie (of Pumpkintown Primitives). David is one of the best miniature portrait painters following the old ways and methods in this country. His miniature portrait of Scottish Presbyterian and Westminster Divine George Gillespie commissioned by Naphtali Press has been given an award as he describes:

Great News! I just received word that my latest portrait miniature of George Gillespie has won an award! The Lord be Glorified! I am a member of the second oldest miniature society in the World, The Washington DC Miniature Painters Sculptors and Gravers Society and they informed me that I won an award from the 659 entries they received. The painting is a watercolor with Lapis Lazuli, Amethyst and Red Jasper, gemstone pigments as well as 24 Karat Gold Lettering, all in a Hand made oval frame. 2.5" tall. This miniature is of Rev. George Gillespie who was a Scottish Presbyterian preacher in the 1630's and 40s and instrumental in helping to write our Church's Confession of Faith. I painted this as a fundraiser for Naphtali Press Special Editions who publishes great reformed books that have been out of print for hundreds of years.​

For 2020-21 series year we had a sponsor support Naphtali Press Special Editions at the level to create and they were given this portrait of Gillespie. Now, you too can own a print of it if you sponsor NPSE for 2022-23 at that level. The funding drive runs through March 1, 2023 (so you have time to think about your level of sponsorship!). In choosing to use this old fashioned means, think 19th century subscriber based or even older patronage based methods, of funding publications; it also affords opportunity to create reformed 'art' for rewards at higher levels of support. This year we would like to have someone sponsor NPSE at the Samuel Rutherford miniature level (and maybe get David another award!). We are just kicking off the 2022-23 sponsorship drive, and if you have never sponsored before, this tough year economically would be a good year to help out this cause to bring presbyterian, reformed, puritan works that might not otherwise be economical to print in large size critical editions. There are payment plans if one does not wish to pay in full (3, 6, 12 month). First review the main page at the link for background, or look at past years, and then hit the link for 2022-23 and review the options: https://www.naphtali.com/npse-2/ I know this effort has a lot of moving parts to understand how it works (if confused send me a message!). In a nutshell, NPSE uses sponsors to fund creating texts through the layout stage and Reformation Heritage Books publishes and sells the books created to the series specifications. Consider sponsoring NPSE this year; and for those who have sponsored in the past, RENEW! Sponsors are listed in the sponsor section in the front of each volume, receive the books they sponsored, a custom bookplate for each, and any attending “rewards” if sponsoring at a higher level.

You may have seen that NPSE recently finished a four year project to publish a new critical edition of James Durham’s Commentary upon the Revelation in three big volumes. In this fourth year of the series, we hope to tackle if funded the final volume (3rd of 3) of George Gillespie’s Shorter Writings and a new edition of James Durham’s Commentary on Song of Solomon. You can review the past productions with links to RHB at the link given above. gillprint 003.jpg

Winning awards is fun and satisfying. Congratulations!

The artist's name is Gillespie? What are the chances?

Winning awards is fun and satisfying. Congratulations!

The artist's name is Gillespie? What are the chances?
Indeed; no apparent relation (he hopes but doesn't think likely). He's won other awards (was taught by some of the best UK artists in the craft; his main work is stone carving; tombstones).

Amen! I spoke with him last night, and had no idea he did these. He and his wife also made an art gift for Dr. Procee who had served us in administering the word during our Communion Season.

Amen! I spoke with him last night, and had no idea he did these. He and his wife also made an art gift for Dr. Procee who had served us in administering the word during our Communion Season.
The Gillespies are quite talented and very kind and generous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back