Naphtali Press: Looking ahead, future book releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
Lord willing the following Naphtali Press book projects will come to fruition in the coming several years. The first two are on fairly certain publication paths. The others need significant work. Stay turned for pre pub announces on the Gillespie in a month or so.

George Gillespie, A Dispute Against the English Popish Ceremonies, revised NP edition (before the end of 2013; 2013 is the 400th anniversary of Gillespie’s birth). I am more convinced of the importance of this work than ever; regardless of if you agree with the author on anything or everything (or nothing), you will understand the nature of the questions of worship that faced Presbyterians then, and by extrapolation, since until today.

Westminster Assembly, The Grand Debate: Papers Exchanged between the Presbyterians and Independents at the Westminster Assembly (early 2014). A work in progress on and off for 20 years. Rowland Ward is on board to do the introductory/analysis bits.

After that things get a bit less certain.
James Durham, The Collected Sermons of James Durham. New editions of all the sermons except for those on Isaiah 53.

James Durham, Commentary on Revelation. I know there is interest in this but it is a big work and will take time since I determine I could not publish the text as is of the Old Path edition to which I purchased the rights some years ago. I had qualms because of editing style issues, but bottom line, I spotted too many mistakes in the text not to re-edit the work. This may should be last on the list.

Nicholas Bownd, Sabbathum Veteris et Novi Testamenti: or the True Doctrine of the Sabbath. Not the earliest but the earliest significant (and large) work and the one that started it all as far as controversies in English History. With the doctrine of the Christian Sabbath the minority view in much of conservative Presbyterianism, it may be of use to return to some of the early works and provide good new editions. The large work by Cawdrey and Palmer on the same subject may also become a viable project if the Bownd does.
Jerusalem-Chamber-Westminster-Abbey.jpg

The Jerusalem Chamber, Westminster Abbey, as it appears today. Copyright Dean and Chapter of Westminster.

George Gillespie, A Dispute Against the English Popish Ceremonies, revised NP edition (before the end of 2013; 2013 is the 400th anniversary of Gillespie’s birth). I am more convinced of the importance of this work than ever; regardless of if you agree with the author on anything or everything (or nothing), you will understand the nature of the questions of worship that faced Presbyterians then, and by extrapolation, since until today.

I'm excited about that. I have it on kindle and it's not that user-friendly in said format. Will the paragraph-length Latin quotes be translated?

These were translated for the first Naphtali Press edition in 1993; and all were rechecked by Dr. Dilday for this second extensively revised edition. There are nearly 200 authors and 300 works cited in the book and I them down, checked them, and made any needed remarks if there were problems. I believe every reference was located eventually; there were some real "puzzles" to solve; some of these were mini research projects all in themselves. While a lot is online I still owe several friends many thanks for visits to rare book rooms in various libraries around the country. The revision has taken three years at least on and off once I determined I was not happy with the sophomore effort.

These were translated for the first Naphtali Press edition in 1993; and all were rechecked by Dr. Dilday for this second extensively revised edition. There are nearly 200 authors and 300 works cited in the book and I them down, checked them, and made any needed remarks if there were problems. I believe every reference was located eventually; there were some real "puzzles" to solve; some of these were mini research projects all in themselves. While a lot is online I still owe several friends many thanks for visits to rare book rooms in various libraries around the country. The revision has taken three years at least on and off once I determined I was not happy with the sophomore effort.

Sounds great. I'm looking forward to it. My Latin is okay, but it's tough to translate in the dark using a Kindle.

I'm pleased with how the work stands at this point; just need to button up a new overview/summary and then I can go to print. I permission to use the Gillespie portrait from the owners and will use that for the dj and a frontispiece.

Awaiting with baited breath Durham on Revelation. No pressure. I am currently going through Durham on the Ten Commandments and am regularly overwhelmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back