Naphtali Press Special Editions, promo video

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
See all the information and pay links in easier presentation at http://www.naphtali.com/titles/naphtali-press-special-editions/
Or see all the information and video at my public facebook post.
I'm looking to raise annual sponsors for the series before a larger kick off drive on Kickstarter.
Basic info below; join the closed facebook group or message me on sponsoring. Regular sponsorship starts at $199 US, $299 Intl. (the awful postal rates).
==>I will soon launch Naphtali Press Special Editions (NPSE). This endeavor will use crowd funding, hearkening back to the old days of subscription and even older days of patron supported publication for a unique and I think important series of books. The goal is up to 3 volumes a year depending on complexity and expense. Before launching a Kickstarter drive, I’m testing interest with a FB effort to raise annual sponsors for the series (sponsors get the year’s books and other perks and rewards based on levels of support).

The projects that can be done in this series are only limited by the level of interest. There are of course old puritan works that have not seen new editions since the 17th century (think Naaman the Syrian, etc.), classic Scottish Presbyterian works that are now relatively unknown, and there are works in manuscript which have yet to be transcribed and published. And if interest is really there, there are works that remain locked up in Latin to this day. Over the years through Naphtali Press and The Confessional Presbyterian journal, I’ve garnered the experience to tackle these kind of projects or know the people who can certainly help me as needed.

If the potential of this series excites you and you have the means, I would welcome your support, which starts at $199 a year for regular US sponsorship. If that is something to consider, see more information at the closed group link below; click to join and I’ll approve as soon as I see the request. There is a unique promotional video (from which the screen grab comes in the picture), not ready to get out broadly, which is the main reason for the group settings.

The first title for the 2019-20 series year will be vol. 1 of 3 of a new edition of James Durham’s Commentary on Revelation (collated with prior editions and a newly uncovered manuscript), which could go to press late in the year. If all goes well, this would be followed in short order by two titles in first quarter 2020: a new critical edition of perhaps the most famous work on church government (almost but not quite a work of the Westminster Assembly), the classic Jus Divinum Regiminis Ecclesiastici; and published for the first time from manuscript, David Dickson’s sermons on the book of Lamentations. If all goes well and sponsors reup, we’ll continue the process another year. The scope of what could be done has me fired up. If you are interested, see the link as said to join the group for more information. https://www.facebook.com/groups/438433533392625/

Last edited:
With much appreciation to Matthew Vogan and Al Smith of Reformation Scotland for making this video on site.

The potential is indeed exciting. I suspect it’s of historic importance. Thanks for your dedication to this, Chris b

If you don't have access to Facebook and want to support this effort, message me for the links. I'd rather the pay links not be complete public since this is a limited time offer (couple of weeks). The higher level sponsorships have rewards like leather bound copies of Scots Commissioners' Sermons and Westminster Letter Press items. I can email this better than message, but either way contact me if you need the info.

Update on sponsors. We are not quite at 20. At 60 sponsors this gets a bit more on solid ground going into the first title drive, which is vol. 1 of 3 of a critical edition of James Durham's Commentary on Revelation. Right no this looks like it will top 500 pages. See video and info in the OP. https://www.puritanboard.com/threads/naphtali-press-special-editions-promo-video.98806/

Or just jump to this link at the NP site for a full presentation, easier to follow than the FB stuff. http://www.naphtali.com/titles/naphtali-press-special-editions/

Did I see somewhere or did I just make it up in my mind, that you said it’s ok to send people to the pay links now (ie make them public).? Or are you still waiting until the limited time offer is done?

It's all out there now; so yes, send them along. :)
Depending on how things go, the first drive for title 1 (Durham on Revelation, vol. 1) should launch on Kickstarter this month. That's where folks can pick up one title if they only have an interest in that rather than sponsoring the series. I would like 60 sponsors before launch and we are 19 right now.

Ben, Did it ever start working? It's at 4,832 views as of this morning. All, if seeing this for first time, see the OP. I'm looking for sponsors for the 2019-2020 series year and we are less than half way to the minimum I'd like before launching the drive for the first title, vol 1 of 3 planned of James Durham's Commentary on Revelation (the NPSE series will use a combination of sponsorship and crowdfunding, hearkening back to the days of subscription and older days of patron supported publication; or if we get enough sponsors, we can move to a prepub model for each title). See here for information and to sign up; we can do pay by check and installment plans if you need to. Message me if so. http://www.naphtali.com/titles/naphtali-press-special-editions/
The video is marked as unavailable for me. Is anyone else running into that?

We are currently nearly half way to our minimum target of 60 sponsors. If you have not, please review the project description and give it some consideration. The potential for what can be done is significant with this NPSE series, but we need a good foundation through annual sponsors which determines just how 'exciting' that may prove. Many thanks.

We are at 30 sponsors halfway to what I'd like going into our first publication drive, which is 60. If only views were money. The video has been viewed 5026 as of now; maybe all of them want the book and are waiting for that. Hope so!

Please review the OP for this exciting venture and consider becoming a sponsor of Naphtali Press Special editions. We are still only halfway to the 60 minimum sponsors I'd like before launching the first title drive, vol. 1 (of 3) of the massive Commentary on Revelation by James Durham, a critical edition that has been checked against all editions and with considerable text provided from a newly discovered early manuscript copy.

Are these books written in modern English or more like John Calvin’s commentaries? I bought his whole set and I can’t understand most of what he’s saying.

These titles are edited for modern spelling and punctuation and usage, but are going to be 17th century works (at least this series year), but I don't find them as hard as the KJV, though that will vary. Like any period some will be easier to read than others. Durham can be a bit of a mouthful; Dickson's sermons on Lamentations is not difficult reading in my opinion. JDRE is English as opposed to Scottish like Durham and Dickson, and it will be more the subject matter than the language or style that will make that a work to have to read slowly; it is on church government, perhaps the most famous work on the subject.
Are these books written in modern English or more like John Calvin’s commentaries? I bought his whole set and I can’t understand most of what he’s saying.

Sarah’s question prompts me to share my thoughts on these books and this endeavor: I used to have the brain cell capacity and time to read voraciously- not so much any more, to my dismay. But it’s not just about my reading them. I’ve heard and read enough of all of these Puritan works to know that I agree with their teaching and think it very important that they become available to the church.

My goal has become to collect valuable books and periodicals like the ones NP is publishing for our church library. I know that many men in leadership, coming up through seminary, likely didn’t have access to this kind of material. So everyone I hope will consider this as one meaningful thing that can come from sponsorship. The end result could, and I pray will, far outweigh the small monetary sacrifice.

The NPSE sponsorships currently stand at 43 and I was hoping to hit 60 before the end of August, which looks remote. The plan is to launch the funding for volume 1 of Durham on Revelation in September. See OP above.

We are at 49 sponsors seeking 1 more if possible via the link so I have fifty going into the launch of this new series. USA 199, Intl. 299 annually (due to postage). I'll be closing my paylinks down for the Kickstarter launch later this week or perhaps next Tuesday. Video is not quite to 7000 so if you have not viewed it, help nudge it. For all the details if you missed them, see the link for the most orderly presentation. http://www.naphtali.com/titles/naphtali-press-special-editions/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back