Nassau Confession of 1578 on monuments of idolatry

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
Substitute pretended holy days for images; same principle.
“It were much to be wished that suitable steps against this evil had been taken in the Protestant churches soon upon the initial purification of doctrine. And moreover, that the idolatrous images, which have been and still are one of the principal abominations under the Papacy, had been everywhere abolished by the Protestant estates for the recovery and preservation of the proper service of worship and for the possible prevention of various disgraces to the Christian religion and to its reputation…

“And even if all the people of this age had their eyes opened so widely that there would now be no more residue of offence or scandal on account of images, nevertheless all manner of injury could be sustained among their descendents no less than formerly as a result of the surviving idols.

“And even if this were not encountered, still it is right in itself. And, as has previously been often stated, it is commanded by God that one should do away with the monuments of idolatry or memorials by means of which great idolatry was being promoted a few years ago. And this accords with the approved example of Holy Scripture.

“For King Hezekiah broke up the brazen serpent after the children of Israel had burned incense to it, though Moses had made it at God’s command as a type of Christ, 2 Kgs. 18[:4]….”​

The Nassau Confession of 1578, translated by R. Sherman Isbell, in Reformed Confessions of the 16th and 17th Centuries in English Translation, Volume 3 1567-1599. Edited by James T. Dennison (RHB, 2012), under the head “The Christian Magistrate not only has the power to remove Idolatrous Images, but is obliged to do so on account of his office,” 531.

Last edited:
“And even if all the people of this age had their eyes opened so widely that there would now be no more residue of offence or scandal on account of images, nevertheless all manner of injury could be sustained among their descendents no less than formerly as a result of the surviving idols.
How true is this? We are all subject to the emotional ties we developed growing up in our culture. Especially since it involves the ties of emotion, love, and relations we have been endeared to by the occasions of repeated seasonal festivities and gatherings. It has been so hard to remove myself from the happy memories I developed as a child. The fantasies of imagination run rampant with wonder and intrigue so deeply we hate to depart from the idolatrous things we have had sanctimoniously embedded into our psyche'.

This is even true when it comes to our Sabbath keeping. I grew up at the Drag Strip and to rip myself away from the Sunday family ritual of working on a race car and friendly competition was no easy task. It has also been difficult to explain why in a culture that doesn't have the base knowledge of Sabbath keeping in our evangelical setting.

Yes; the time observed this week is powerfully laden with all sorts of nostalgia and sentimentality. I imagine there was a lot of this in the difficulty even the best Kings had in removing the high places to any degree.
How true is this? We are all subject to the emotional ties we developed growing up in our culture. Especially since it involves the ties of emotion, love, and relations we have been endeared to by the occasions of repeated seasonal festivities and gatherings. It has been so hard to remove myself from the happy memories I developed as a child. The fantasies of imagination run rampant with wonder and intrigue so deeply we hate to depart from the idolatrous things we have had sanctimoniously embedded into our psyche'.

Well as WS stated, "Our object should not be to have scripture on our side but to be on the side of scripture; and however dear any sentiment may have become by being long entertained, so soon as it is seen to be contrary to the Bible, we must be prepared to abandon it without hesitation."
William Symington

It is hard.

I know a minister who came to a strong view on the doctrine of the Sabbath late in his ministry. His great regret is all his children learned his early practice and views and retain that, not to mention the effect on the church.
This is even true when it comes to our Sabbath keeping. I grew up at the Drag Strip and to rip myself away from the Sunday family ritual of working on a race car and friendly competition was no easy task. It has also been difficult to explain why in a culture that doesn't have the base knowledge of Sabbath keeping in our evangelical setting.

Chris, I just wanted to thank you for these posts, especially during this week. I have very secular family visiting from Holland and are insisting on celebrating xmas ‘like in the Hollywood movies’. They know my stance but am struggling to stand firm while also being a gracious host. The bite size quotes help me keep my mind and heart in check, much appreciated.

Chris, I just wanted to thank you for these posts, especially during this week. I have very secular family visiting from Holland and are insisting on celebrating xmas ‘like in the Hollywood movies’. They know my stance but am struggling to stand firm while also being a gracious host. The bite size quotes help me keep my mind and heart in check, much appreciated.
I'm glad you found them useful; I think these illustrate the case for opposing religious observance of the day.

I'm glad you found them useful; I think these illustrate the case for opposing religious observance of the day.
Your posts certainly provide a strong apologetic, sadly when dealing with secularists it falls on deaf ears and hard hearts.

I have opted to go full secular when it comes to any type of celebration, which I am also keeping at a minimum. I invited them to Church (they declined) and did not see them on the Lords day. There will be some gifts exchanged, watch a movie and walk candy cane lane. I hope these days past by quickly so we can move on to visiting Yosemite, Sequoia and the gun range.

What should I as a father implement now while it’s still too early? Responding to the comment about the man with regrets.

Know and be persuaded of the doctrine so you can explain it to you family. Have regular practices even though when starting out it seems small or a slog with young children; so that after years of "routine" your children won't find it strange or quickly or easily depart from them. Those with children who've been doing this may best opine on specifics; or it probably has come up on other threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back