Nathanael Ranew on the three pious forms of self-entertainment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
A pious Heart hath three happy ways of self-entertainment in solitary; three rare ways of being least alone, when most alone. The first way of self-entertainment, is the Ordinance of reading and searching the Holy Scriptures, the pure, perfect, and infallible Word and Will of Christ concerning us. There Christ hath prepared his rich feast of fat things full of marrow, and his Royal Banquet of heavenly Truths. There he sets forth the great varieties of sure Directions, precious Promises, high Examples, rare Experiences, and the help of all his holy Ordinances to feed and satiate the hungry and thirsty spirit.

The second way of self-entertainment, is Divine Meditation, by either pondering of spiritual things, for improving knowledge, and exciting practice; or by a weighing all other things whatever, for reducing them to a spiritual end and use. The third way of self-entertainment, is private Praying, such as is both bottomed and bounded by Christ’s will in his Word; such as is both prepared and assisted, made wise and warm by serious Meditation.

Meditation stands between the two Ordinances of Reading and Praying, as the grand Improver of the former, and the high Quickner of the latter, to furnish the mind with choice materials for prayer, and to fill the heart with holy fervency in it.

For the reference, see:

He misses popping in your wireless earbuds and listening to a good podcast or recorded sermon. How could he not think of that?

I've been thinking along these lines lately. So often before bed I look for entertainment that is often external, but I often think about how we can entertain ourselves very much with our own minds. Even thinking about nostalgic memories can be very mentally entertaining.

This is a very important Puritan book, particularly in a day when meditation has been abused by pagan meditation. Ranew brings us back to the Biblical standard. I like what the back cover says about the book "The premise of the book is that one should never waste time when alone, for that time could be spent in meditating upon God. "

I understand this is the most in-depth book on Biblical meditation from a Puritan perspective.
'

Here is the PDF of the book in question for free download. Didnt see a link to the book in the OP.

Attachments

• Ranew_Nathanael - Solitude Improved by Divine Meditation.pdf
    987.3 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back