Need a Web Guy Who Wants to Help Update A Puritan's Mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. Matthew McMahon

Christian Preacher
All -

I need a web guy that knows joomla or some other contemporary form of code for updating A Puritan's Mind. I don't have the tech savvy ability to do that. My abilities ran out with Flash templates and older html.

If you know of anyone have them email me. Thanks!

Matthew,

Building a Wordpress or Joomla site would be really easy. The hard part would be moving thousands of pages into the database.

Rich...not to hijack Matt's thread, but I hear, all the time, that building Wordpress site is easy. I have even downloaded their Wordpress 3.0...& I still don't know what to do to make a nice site. Any pointers?

I assume you must have it installed and you're just looking for pointers on how to make it look nice?

I had a project to create a "How To" but let that languish.

Really a "nice" site starts with a nice theme. I tend to go to wordpress.org and look at the most popular themes first and do some hunting around. You can make a nice looking site with things that are out of the box.

I always use Pages for the static menu stuff and then posts for events or sermons. It's then a matter of adding the right kinds of widgets to the sidebars. There are some additional plugins that are good for Church websites.

Here's our Church's website: http://www.hopeofchrist.net/

That's a slightly modified, free theme.

If you still someone to help, a lady at our church might be able to do the job. PM me if there is still a need and I can put her in contact with you.

Thanks Rich, and all. I'd love to be able to make a Wordpress site, but I'm sure I'd need to learn how to use it. Time in that area is a bit strained. That is why I was looking for help in the area of updating APM. But I'll check your link to Wordpress. I know you sent that to me a while ago, but I haven't had time to check it out. I'll do that.

Thanks Rich, and all. I'd love to be able to make a Wordpress site, but I'm sure I'd need to learn how to use it. Time in that area is a bit strained. That is why I was looking for help in the area of updating APM. But I'll check your link to Wordpress. I know you sent that to me a while ago, but I haven't had time to check it out. I'll do that.

If memory serves Matthew, the site is actually set up to play around with. I was even hoping to find some sort of tool that would be able to import the 1000+ pages from Frontpage to Wordpress as I can't even begin to fathom the number of hours it would take to copy and paste all the content.

It might be worth your while to do some basic research on how to migrate from a Frontpage site to a CMS and see what you can find. If you can find a reasonable path then let me know and I'll find the time to help you out. I'm happy to host the site with all the great content it has.

Does Frontpage use any sort of database? If you could dump it to a CSV it could be imported into anything. It's been like 10 years since I've touched that software.

Alternatively, the site could be scraped to strip the content -- could take a while but it'd be possible if every page follows a consistent layout and even easier if you could reduce the templates to the bare minimum first. You could write a Python script to do it. See the simple example here:

Web scraping with Python - Stack Overflow

This is what the example will produce:

$ python
Python 2.6.5 (r265:79063, Apr 16 2010, 13:57:41)
[GCC 4.4.3] on linux2
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import urllib2
>>> from BeautifulSoup import BeautifulSoup
>>> soup = BeautifulSoup(urllib2.urlopen('http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=78').read())
>>>
>>> for row in soup('table', {'class' : 'spad'})[0].tbody('tr'):
... tds = row('td')
... print tds[0].string, tds[1].string
... # will print date and sunrise
Aug 25, 2010 6:22 AM
Aug 26, 2010 6:23 AM
Aug 27, 2010 6:25 AM
Aug 28, 2010 6:27 AM
Aug 29, 2010 6:29 AM
Aug 30, 2010 6:30 AM
Aug 31, 2010 6:32 AM
>>>

Most Linux distributions have Python included by default.

Actually, I did find an import html tool for wordpress, but it will still take a lot of manual work. Each page
would require editing so much so that the import tool will not be of much value.

I am not sure the pages have enough template continuity in the code to screen(web) scrape.

Actually, I did find an import html tool for wordpress, but it will still take a lot of manual work. Each page
would require editing so much so that the import tool will not be of much value.

I am not sure the pages have enough template continuity in the code to screen(web) scrape.

Yeah, that's the problem. It's all the sidebar and header info that's unique for many pages that makes it difficult. I think there might be a way, with Frontpage, to make all the pages as basic as possible by stripping all the theme information and using a tool to convert all the funky MS code out of it and then importing them via directory structure.

Good idea, Rich! When I get all of the html/frontpage/site from Matthew, I will try and do just that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back