Need Book Suggestions (re: Satan, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RevZach

Puritan Board Freshman
I am looking to do some reading (before doing some writing) about
* Satan and his origins
* The aspect of amillennial theology wherein we discuss Satan's already being bound/defeated/banished ("I saw Satan fall like lightning," etc.)
* The enemy's two strategies: lion (persecution, overt attack) and serpent (infiltrate, introduce error) and how they show up through the metanarrative of Scripture
* The relationship between the devil and the world and the devil and the flesh.
* The biblical response to demonic activity in light of the fact that Satan has already been bound and defeated.

I would greaty appreciate any specific books/articles that you might suggest!

Soli Deo Gloria,

Zachary Bartels
Pastor, Judson Memorial Baptist Church (ABC-USA)
Lansing, Michigan

Last edited:
You would probably be interested in Frederick S Leahy's book Satan Cast Out published by Banner of Truth. It covers most of those topics you listed. Leahy was a minister in the Reformed Presbyterian Church of Ireland.

Thanks

Thank you for the suggestions; I shall seek these out (Baker Books, used section in Grand Rapids=heaven).

Any others...?
:book2:

If you get desperate

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Satan-Alive-Well-Planet-Earth/dp/0310277914]Amazon.com: Satan Is Alive and Well on Planet Earth (0025986277918): Hal Lindsey, Carole C. Carlson: Books[/ame]

:lol: :eek:

While we're at it...
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Satan-Motives-Lewis-Sperry-Chafer/dp/0825423449]Amazon.com: Satan: His Motives & Methods (9780825423444): Lewis Sperry Chafer: Books[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Bible-Future-Anthony-Hoekema/dp/0802808514/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1248888705&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: The Bible and the Future (9780802808516): Anthony A. Hoekema: Books[/ame]

Hi:

Precious Remedies Against Satan's Devices, by Thomas Brooks - Banner of Truth Puritan Paperback.

The Christian in Complete Armor, by William Gurnell.

Adam King mentioned Satan Cast Out - though I was a bit disappointed by the author's denial that Satan has a kingdom.

More Than Conquorors, by William Hendrickson.

Blessings,

Rob

Thanks...

Thus far, this has been helpful in confirming that I am on the right track.

Hoekema's book was the last nail in my Dispensationalism several years ago. Kim's two books, I was able to read before they even came out (as my wife works for the publisher), and Hal Lindsey's piece of...er...work is exactly what I'm trying to counter with what I'm writing.

I have to admit that I find Hendriksen's Revelation commentary a little vague at times, but I guess better to be vague than to identify the locusts from the pit as a specific 1970s attack helicopter. :rolleyes:

The others I have not heard of, and they shall constitute the remainder of my summer reading list.

Thanks again!
-Zachary

P.S.
CalvinandHodges said:
Adam King mentioned Satan Cast Out - though I was a bit disappointed by the author's denial that Satan has a kingdom.

Does anyone know of a thread here on the board discussing this topic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back