Need help answering this about Pauline view of sin and death.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petra

Puritan Board Freshman
So this Eastern Orthodox brother is telling me that sin is not transgression against God’s law. He states that sin is crossing the law. He states that sins not leading to death are sins not done with knowledge.

How should I respond?

Every time I try to connect death with not being merely physical death in sin, he responds with something like:

“Need to make a distinction between sin and sins. St Paul uses both, specifically, and they're not interchangeable.”

I have no idea where to begin. Anyone with some tips? Proof texts? Contexts to help me, please?

One of the other Orthodox guys asked:

“Where is there Scripture that says the wages of sin are anything other than death?

Where is there Scripture that says the wages of sin are anything other than death? Except for possible as Zobel mentioned, the sin against the Holy Spirit, which I believe is free will rejection of God.

If God has pre ordained people to heaven or hell, how could they commit the unforgivable sin? Would that be only the "elect"? But they are unconditionally elect, correct?

So who was Paul talking about?”

I can respond to some of it. But they speak a different language concerning sin.
Feel free to show me how to respond.

He states:

“All sin leads to death, but not all sins are transgression. The Law was there to reveal sin, to show people what was sin. And with that knowledge came transgression.

Being under sin means being under death, a slave to sin. A person's sins are different and further - leading to spiritual death on top of the death we are all born under.”

Help, please? They see it as an ontological not legalistic judgment, in their own words.

Also, I would mention, if you use the search function there are quite a few resources and apologetics when dealing with EO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back