Need help finding a good Mom’s Group Book

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronsk

Puritan Board Freshman
My wife hosts a mom’s group at our home 1x per week. The gals are looking for a book that is helpful in pointing to Christ amidst the trials of being mothers that they can use in the group to help focus their time together on Christ. Open to all suggestions! Children are present so the environment can be distracting. Thanks!

Can a moderator fix the title so it’s coherent- I created this thread on my phone and hit go before I was ready

Not just for moms, but our church women did a group study with Nancie Guthrie's Even Better Than Eden. We all loved it.
thank you for the suggestion!

I saw in one other thread her book “Hoping for something better” was mentioned . Is she a pretty solid author (keeps pointing to Christ/scripture)? Have you read any of her other books?

She seems solid to me! I've read a few of her "Seeing Jesus in the Old Testament Series." I think she's good at drawing out points, exegesis and commentary from various reformed theologians, and putting it all out there in a concise, readable manner for the layman.

If those moms might be interested in a Bible study, I'd be remiss not to put in a plug for The Gospel-Centered Parent. It's ten studies, looking at ten different passages of Scripture, with the goal of being parents who always keep our eyes on Christ. I did much of the writing, but my co-authors are uber-experienced moms/believers who brought years of wisdom that far exceeds mine. I learned a ton from them.

To get the full benefit, the moms would need to be able to talk freely about their lives as parents, which might be difficult if kids are present.

From the introduction:

The Gospel-Centered Parent is different from many other studies for parents. While other studies are usually about how to perform better as a parent, this study is about being a parent who practices faith in God. Faith ends up making a huge difference in how we raise our children, but it isn’t first of all about technique. It’s about resting from pressure and anxiety because we trust Jesus, not ourselves.

Because it helps to practice faith with others who are learning it too, The Gospel-Centered Parent is meant to be studied in a group. That way, you’ll learn from the insights and experiences of others and receive encouragement. The group is a place for discussion and open sharing about not only successes, but also sins and weaknesses.

Expect the usual struggles that come with a group. Some people will be cheery while others are troubled. Some will share while others may try to cover up. But because you’ll be studying the Bible and praying together, also expect God’s Spirit to work and to change people—starting with you! That’s right, The Gospel-Centered Parent is not about how to change your children; it’s about gospel growth in you, the parent.

If those moms might be interested in a Bible study, I'd be remiss not to put in a plug for The Gospel-Centered Parent. It's ten studies, looking at ten different passages of Scripture, with the goal of being parents who always keep our eyes on Christ. I did much of the writing, but my co-authors are uber-experienced moms/believers who brought years of wisdom that far exceeds mine. I learned a ton from them.

To get the full benefit, the moms would need to be able to talk freely about their lives as parents, which might be difficult if kids are present.

From the introduction:

Jack! I am reading that now. And recently read Show Me Jesus, which I, when I stumbled onto it, didnt realize you had written! It has been a blessing to me, and I am privileged to thank you "in person." :)

Jack! I am reading that now. And recently read Show Me Jesus, which I, when I stumbled onto it, didnt realize you had written! It has been a blessing to me, and I am privileged to thank you "in person." :)
Thanks, Lily. That's encouraging to hear.

Just an update on this. I did purchase a couple of Guthrie books (format wasn't quite right for their situation) and some Psalm devotionals (Ortlund and Spurgeon) but none of them quite fit what my wife & the gals was after (Spurgeon as too lengthy and Ortlund drifted into his own thoughts it seemed). We had recently taken up doing family worship in our home using Dr. Beeke's Family Worship Bible Guide and interestingly enough that book is now what the moms plan to use. The guide covers every book of the bible by chapter, the readings are short, true to the scripture, edifying, and offer great discussion questions. (I am very hopeful that the mom's will expose their husbands to the book so they using it for Family Worship as well :) .)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back