Need help finding an English work cited by Van Der Groe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seeking_Thy_Kingdom

Puritan Board Sophomore
I am trying to find the source of a quotation. It is regarding the Canons of Dort written prior to 1752.

The problem is that Van Der Groe does not give the source, and instead invents a new word by combining two separate ones. I have looked everywhere and I am certain this is not an actual word in Dutch.

He says “De Theoganten van Groot-Brittannien”. Theoganten is a combination of theologians or theology and greats or giants. So it translates to “The Theological Greats of Great Britain” or “The Great Theologians of Great Britain.”

It also says that it is regarding articles 3 and 4, and the quotation is found on pages 146 and 147.

This is the citation:
"There are some internal effects or workings that precede repentance and being born again, begotten by the power of the Word and of the Spirit in the hearts of those who have not yet been born again, as there are: the knowledge of God will, the feeling of sin, the fear of punishment, thinking of redemption, some hope of forgiveness, etc. "
"These foregoing effects, produced in the minds of men by the power of the Word and of the Spirit, can be stifled by the guilt of the rebellious will and extensively extinguished, and tend to be extinguished in many, so that some, in whose minds, by the power of the Word and of the Spirit, some knowledge of the Divine truth, some sorrow surrendered to their desires, persevering in sins, and, without desire or care of redemption, polluting them, Matt. 13:19; 2 Peter 2:21; Heb. 6:4”

Attachments

• 0D73CB29-54B2-4943-B7B4-D15EC44F9152.jpeg
    0D73CB29-54B2-4943-B7B4-D15EC44F9152.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back