Need help getting all font to print in cymk black in pdf doc

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTB.SDG

Puritan Board Junior
I know there are some folks here who might know about this, I'm clueless and need help. I'm (self) publishing a book and in the proof copy printed on cream paper it seems there are some footnotes that come out looking off-colored (greyish or at least less black than the others). I believe this happened especially when I copied and pasted into my document from another online PDF (IE, from Hodge's systematics) without intentionally doing anything to the color (make sure it's the same shade of black as the rest). Is there any easy way to just convert my whole document into CYMK black? I've googled but people say different things. I'm using adobe pro. I know it's under "Print Production" and "Convert Colors" but after that I'm lost. Would so much appreciate help if you know how to do this. Thanks.

Can you select all text and check character or paragraph styles and make sure all the text is actually set to "black"? What program are use using to do layout?

Assuming you're using Microsoft Word...
Click anywhere in a footnote (doesn't matter which).
Press ctrl+A to select all the footnote text in the document.
On the font portion of the ribbon, select font color dropdown box and then select black.
Done?

W3CTFIhq4L.png

Guys, sorry I didn't make this more clear. I need to do it within the PDF. I'm trying to work with Adobe Pro. I can't do the editing in the original document because it would be an absolute nightmare to reformat everything. So I need to change into black in the PDF doc.

Guys, I need to do it within the PDF. I'm trying to work with Adobe Pro. I can't do the editing in the original document because it would be an absolute nightmare to reformat everything.
I don't know how if that is possible; maybe some super duper PDF program?

Without knowing what version of Acrobat you're working with or what OS you are on...
The first thing I would do is print to Adobe PDF, and go to advanced options, and then Color Management. Select the Black and white color profile. Preserve Black and treat grays as K-only grays (meaning grays will be printed only as black).

Basically you are "printing" it to another PDF file, but you want to do this as black only, and change the grays to black.

Acrobat_NYO4PyRl5j.png

Last edited:
Logan, this is good, thanks. Once I do these things how do I just save as PDF instead of printing?

You should be able to select "Adobe PDF" as your "printer" instead of your printer. Or on a Mac you may have a "save as PDF" button on the print dialogue. Acrobat_ovDjTj9dpi.png

An alternative solution might to be to use a monochrome black-only cheap laser printer. Looks like there are a number of options in the $100 - $150 range. Might be able to get a better deal on a refurbished or open box unit.

Then scan it back in.

@Logan I'd offer to loan my daisy wheel printer, but the ribbon has dried out and he'd probably need a couple of hardware adapters to hook it up to any computer made in the last 25 years. And probably some software to convert it from Adobe's printer format to something universally readable. But I'd guarantee it would all come out black.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back