Need Help Searching for Matthew 15:21-28

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goodcheer68

Puritan Board Sophomore
Would anyone who has Logos or a similar program be willing to search for Matthew 15:21-28 for me. Im looking to get a list of Reformed authors who have commented on this passage or parts of this passage. Would really like to find out what Puritans if any have written on this passage. Ive been going through my books one by one and looking at the scripture indexes and searching individual ebooks but its very time consuming.

The ones off the top of my head are David Dickson, Richard Ward, John Trapp, and Matthew Poole. I don't count Matthew Henry as a Puritan, but many do so I include him here.
I will browse the indexes of my library tomorrow along with Logos. Much too tired tonight from our conference.

There are quite a few historic sermons on this portion of Scripture:

15:21-22
Rutherford, Samuel, "The Trial and Triumph of Faith," (sermons 1-10), Naphtali Press Anthology, vol. 2, no. 4, Fall 1989, pp. 40-66, 96.

15:23-25
Rutherford, Samuel, "The Trial and Triumph of Faith," (sermons 11-18), Naphtali Press Anthology, vol. 3, no. 1, Winter 1990, pp. 61-90.

15:24-25
Spurgeon, C.H., "How to Meet the Doctrine of Election," #1797, MTP 30.469-480.

15:26-27
Spurgeon, C.H., "The Little Dogs," (together with the text of Mk 7:27-28), #1309, MTP 22.457-468.

15:27
Guthrie, William, in two sermons, untitled, Sermons Delivered in Times of Persecution in Scotland, pp. 215-225 and 226-236.

Spurgeon, C.H., "Children's Bread Given to Dogs," #715, MTP 12.565-576.

Spurgeon, C.H., "Pleading, Not Contradiction," #2129, MTP 36.85-96.

15:28
Guthrie, William, untitled, Sermons Delivered in Times of Persecution in Scotland, pp. 237-252. The editor notes at the end of this sermon that "There is another sermon upon this text, wherein Mr. Guthrie begins upon the third particular here not spoken to, viz., church deliverance."

Spurgeon, C.H., "Little Faith and Great Faith," - see entry above at 14:31.

Spurgeon, C.H., "The Perseverance of Faith," #2253, MTP 38.193-201. With attached expostion of Mt 15:21-39, on pp. 202-204.

Spurgeon, C.H., "Carte-Blanche," #2446, MTP 42.1-10.​

And don't forget about Calvin's Commentary on a Harmony of the Evangelists, v.2, pp.262ff, or John Lightfoot's A Commentary On the New Testament from the Talmud and Hebraica, v.2, in loc.

Be not discouraged in the work of faith, though no peace or comfort should come in by the first act of it: nay, though there should be an increase of trouble for the present; the first saving act of faith certainly puts you into a state of peace, but it may not presently produce the sense of peace; you may, after you have believed and really closed with Christ, meet with some discouragements which may make you question whether Christ has received you or no, whether he has any love for your souls or no? Yet hold on, whether comfort come or not; though Christ and comfort are inseparable, yet Christ and the sense of comfort are not so: think not that all your troubles shall be over as soon as ever you believe, because it is said, Heb. 4:3. We which have believed do enter into rest: That scripture speaks of a state of rest, and not of the present or continued sense of rest. The woman of Canaan, in Mat. 15:26, 27 did really believe in Christ, yet met with sore trials under the first act of her faith; yet this took her not off from the work of faith; but rather quickened and inflamed her the more; she was glad of a word from Christ, and she expected deeds. O but the words were discouraging; it is not meet to take the children’s bread, and give it to dogs; yet this beats not off her faith; the dog belongs to the family, and crums to the dog. O woman, saith Christ, great is thy faith. If you resolve for Christ, you must not be discouraged; a resolute faith overcomes all difficulties. You pray, you believe, and yet no comfort; well, the vision of peace is for an appointed time, at the end it will speak, and not lie.

Flavel, J. (1820). The Whole Works of the Reverend John Flavel (Vol. 4, pp. 141–142). London; Edinburgh; Dublin: W. Baynes and Son; Waugh and Innes; M. Keene.

“But he answered her not a word.”
—Matthew 15:23

Genuine seekers who as yet have not obtained the blessing, may take comfort from the story before us. The Saviour did not at once bestow the blessing, even though the woman had great faith in him. He intended to give it, but he waited awhile. “He answered her not a word.” Were not her prayers good? Never better in the world. Was not her case needy? Sorrowfully needy. Did she not feel her need sufficiently? She felt it overwhelmingly. Was she not earnest enough? She was intensely so. Had she no faith? She had such a high degree of it that even Jesus wondered, and said, “O woman, great is thy faith.” See then, although it is true that faith brings peace, yet it does not always bring it instantaneously. There may be certain reasons calling for the trial of faith, rather than the reward of faith. Genuine faith may be in the soul like a hidden seed, but as yet it may not have budded and blossomed into joy and peace. A painful silence from the Saviour is the grievous trial of many a seeking soul, but heavier still is the affliction of a harsh cutting reply such as this, “It is not meet to take the children’s bread, and to cast it to dogs.” Many in waiting upon the Lord find immediate delight, but this is not the case with all. Some, like the jailer, are in a moment turned from darkness to light, but others are plants of slower growth. A deeper sense of sin may be given to you instead of a sense of pardon, and in such a case you will have need of patience to bear the heavy blow. Ah! poor heart, though Christ beat and bruise thee, or even slay thee, trust him; though he should give thee an angry word, believe in the love of his heart. Do not, I beseech thee, give up seeking or trusting my Master, because thou hast not yet obtained the conscious joy which thou longest for. Cast thyself on him, and perseveringly depend even where thou canst not rejoicingly hope.

Spurgeon, C. H. (1896). Morning and evening: Daily readings. London: Passmore & Alabaster.

“And she said, Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their master’s table.”
—Matthew 15:27

This woman gained comfort in her misery by thinking GREAT THOUGHTS OF Christ. The Master had talked about the children’s bread: “Now,” argued she, “since thou art the Master of the table of grace, I know that thou art a generous housekeeper, and there is sure to be abundance of bread on thy table; there will be such an abundance for the children that there will be crumbs to throw on the floor for the dogs, and the children will fare none the worse because the dogs are fed.” She thought him one who kept so good a table that all that she needed would only be a crumb in comparison; yet remember, what she wanted was to have the devil cast out of her daughter. It was a very great thing to her, but she had such a high esteem of Christ, that she said, “It is nothing to him, it is but a crumb for Christ to give.” This is the royal road to comfort. Great thoughts of your sin alone will drive you to despair; but great thoughts of Christ will pilot you into the haven of peace. “My sins are many, but oh! it is nothing to Jesus to take them all away. The weight of my guilt presses me down as a giant’s foot would crush a worm, but it is no more than a grain of dust to him, because he has already borne its curse in his own body on the tree. It will be but a small thing for him to give me full remission, although it will be an infinite blessing for me to receive it.” The woman opens her soul’s mouth very wide, expecting great things of Jesus, and he fills it with his love. Dear reader, do the same. She confessed what Christ laid at her door, but she laid fast hold upon him, and drew arguments even out of his hard words; she believed great things of him, and she thus overcame him. SHE WON THE VICTORY BY BELIEVING IN HIM. Her case is an instance of prevailing faith; and if we would conquer like her, we must imitate her tactics.

Spurgeon, C. H. (1896). Morning and evening: Daily readings. London: Passmore & Alabaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back