Need help with Amazon MP3s

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredtgreco

Vanilla Westminsterian
Staff member
I need some assistance with purchasing an MP3 album for my son for his birthday. Here is the issue: my son wants an album (well not exactly, but the legacy term will suffice) for his birthday. He listens to music for the most part, but not absolutely exclusively, on his Kindle Fire. As a result. it seems to me that the easiest (and cheapest) way to get the album for him is to buy an MP3 album on Amazon. Here are my questions:

1. Will the album automatically download to the Kindle Fire if it is bought with the same account?
  2. Will it also be stored in the Amazon Cloud?
  3. Can I purchase it now, but NOT have it download until his birthday (i.e. I don't want him seeing it in advance)?
  4. Can it also be downloaded/transferred to his PC so he can listen to it there?

There have to be Amazon MP3 users here who can help me. What have you done? What is your experience? Thanks in advance!

It will not necessarily be downloaded to the device immediately if you purchase under the account and download to your computer instead initially (or just don't download it at all at first).

He would however, if he clicked on music and then "cloud" be able to see what is available to download from the Cloud drive. But if he's just looking at what is on his device, no it won't be on there until you tell it to download there.

Edit to add: He can later download it to his PC if it's under the same account.

1. I don't own a Kindle Fire, so I'm not sure about this.
2. Yes, but it will only store about 400 songs. You might want to ensure that you're not near that mark before looking into that option.
3. Not that I'm aware of.
4. Yes. You will have to install software to download the MP3s (download link provided upon purchase), but it can be done.

When I download a newly-purchased mp3, it automatically goes into iTunes. (I think it also goes into the cloud as well, but I haven't messed with that. I select "Download to my computer". My only device is my laptop.) I can then find them quickly in iTunes by going to the "Recently added" section, and then I drag them into whatever playlist I want. I use Amazon rather than the Apple Store for mp3s (I just started with Amazon, and never went elsewhere). They often give free mp3 coupons or special discounts. And if they mess up anywhere, they give bonus coupons to compensate.

It did take me a little while to understand how to do it (I think I messed up once - but that's when they gave me the coupon).

You are able to purchase albums as gifts on Amazon, so if you purchased it on another account but sent it to his email or his facebook account, then he'd be the one actually purchasing and downloading it through his Amazon, and thus it would go to whatever items he has set up to receive his cloud. It is essentially a gift credit, but it says so-and-so sent you _________ as a gift! It allows you to designate it for a specific album, BUT your son could actually use the credit for any album or songs he wanted that cost the same. So if you need to monitor the actual album, then purchasing through the exact account is necessary.

I don't know if you determine which day it is sent. I imagine you could but never have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back