Need help with Historical allusions in Rutherford

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
Samuel Rutherford in one of his sermons to the English Parliament in speaking about the conscience being "not its own lord in knowing, believing and confessing something of God" and makes the following historical allusions.

Caligula, his fear must make his faith a liar, and when he hears a thunder, says, Mine ears hear the God which my heart denies to have any being.
Suetonius states that Caligula feared the thunder (but not the roman gods), but I don't think the words in italics are a quotation but Rutherford putting words to that effect the thunder had on him. Romans 1 and Psalm 14 come to mind; anyone think of any others? Or any other explanation?

Nero cannot say but hell is begun in his soul before his time.
Are there any allusions to scripture in the above; again I could not find any direct attribution of any admission by Nero to this; but one could certainly see how his life was hell begun on earth. He had nightmares his murders and his last hours were pretty hellish.

Paul the third [Pope Paul III], a monster of men, said dying, I shall now be resolved of three things: 1. if the soul be immortal; 2. if there be a God; 3. if there be a hell.
I cannot find any attribution of these last words to Pope Paul III. Anyone know their popes?

Any comment and help is much appreciated. I've spent hours trying to find reference to these things or make sense of them otherwise to little result except to conclude at least in the first two real quotable admissions are probably intended. But I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back