Need some input, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mary

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello, Everybody!

I need to get some serious advice on a personal issue...

We are all aware that honoring your father and mother is one of the 10 commandments.

What do you do if one of your parents does something that is clearly contrary to the Bible?

For the sake of argument, let's say that my father is an abortion doctor. Do I tell him his behavior is wrong? Do I have contact with him at all? Is it ever right to cut your parents out of your life?

Any thoughts?

Honoring God is first and foremost.
Honoring your parents is second.
Obeying God is first.
Obeying your parents, or condoning their actions would be based on the first four commandments before the 5th.

If my dad was an abortion doctor, I would be a broken record against him, especially if I was a Christian in his household, even if it meant he may kick me out of the house.

I can respect my father and still tell him he is sinning against the Lord. I would not be honoring my father if I did not tell him.

Honoring implies loving, which implies "loving because He first loved us", which implies warning them of transgressing the law and living unfaithful to the gospel.

The most loving and honoring thing you can do is be ever mindful of their spiritual well-being and their salvation.

Keep this verse in mind when admonishing Him:

1Ti 5:1,2
Rebuke not an elder, but intreat [him] as a father; [and] the younger men as brethren; The elder women as mothers; the younger as sisters, with all purity.

Mary, if a parent is really wrong you have an obligation to tell that parent the truth, but must always speak the truth in love, whether they listen or whether they don't. Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one.

My late mother was a Roman Catholic. She could never quite let go of all the Catholicism, but I'm convinced that she understood and embraced the gospel of grace before her death. Hope this helps.

Melissa

"For the sake of argument, let's say that my father is an abortion doctor. Do I tell him his behavior is wrong? Do I have contact with him at all? Is it ever right to cut your parents out of your life?"

Mary,
I don't think that you would have to cut your parents out of your life. More than likely, what would happen as you stand against their lifestyle or go against their wishes in order to obey God is that they would cut you out of theirs.

I really appreciate everyone's input. I see what you are saying, and it makes sense. I guess I am kind of a coward. It just seems so ungrateful, when your parents do so much for you in this world. I have been struggling with this for a long time - and I keep coming up with justifications for not taking a stand.

judge not, lest ye be judged.

vengeance is mine, saith the Lord. I will repay.

And in my particular situation, what I say or don't say will not change the behavior on the part of the parent in question. I say this knowing the personality of the person involved.

All it will do is cause another rift in an already extremely fractured family, and force everyone to take sides. And it will make me even more alone in this world than I already am.

Boy, do I sound whiny and pathetic.

Mary, I'm so sorry for you.

I understand what you are saying. I will definitely pray for you.

"He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of Me."

"When my father and mother forsake me, then the Lord will take me up."

Let us know how to keep praying for you, okay? You have us!

I'll also continue to pray for you.

I think you can say almost anything to a parent (or husband) if it is done with the right attitude. If you do it with love and submission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back