Nero The Decline Of The Empire

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReformedWretch

Puritan Board Doctor
Ugh...avoid this! It's advertised as being from "The Producers of Augustus" (which I never saw, maybe it stinks too?) so I picked it up at Blockbuster yesterday. Here are the issues I have with the movie.

1) It's three hours long, if not for the other issues I am about to tell you about that may not have been a problem. I had thought that was a good sign when I saw that on the case in BB.

2) Nero is portrayed as a very good young man who was hurt by those he loved so often that it caused him to sort of lose his mind. Even when they finally had him "go evil" it was due to a love affair with a woman who got him hooked on drugs.:um:

3) His mother met a witch during her exile who fortold of Nero's reign and her death. It was as if his mother made a deal with this witch to have him become emperor.:um:

4) Nero fell in love with a Christian slave girl who helped him reign for many years justly.

5) He sent a guard to kill his mother for getting rid of his Christian slave girl friend.

6) Paul of Tarsus was shown numerous times. At one point Nero calls for him to raise his dead girlfriend (the one who got him into drugs) and Paul goes but says after looking at the girl "It is not God's will".

7) In the end Nero flees to the slave camp where he slits his wrists. Before dying his former girlfriend (the Christian slave girl) finds him and he repents and she forgives him as he dies in her arms.

This was just terrible and made Nero look like an abused child who acted out ebcause of all the pain in his life. One slightly positive thing, a Christian pastor tells a Gentile man as he is dying that Paul in his recent letter to Rome has assured them that Salvation is not only for the Jew.

I am annoyed that I rented this and spent three hours waiting on some historical truth to be present within it.:banghead:

Originally posted by houseparent

7) In the end Nero flees to the slave camp where he slits his wrists. Before dying his former girlfriend (the Christian slave girl) finds him and he repents and she forgives him as he dies in her arms.
I guess they haven't read the Book of Revelation and Daniel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back