New Book by Iain Murray on Lloyd-Jones Coming This May/June

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if the Kendall fiasco can also serve as a warning to a congregation that is looking for a "great" preacher. Given what happened to the Metropolitan Tabernacle after Spurgeon died, it seems like some churches come to feel that they must have a remarkably gifted man when it comes to pulpit performance, and they can put that above sound doctrine or anything else.

I wonder if the Kendall fiasco can also serve as a warning to a congregation that is looking for a "great" preacher. Given what happened to the Metropolitan Tabernacle after Spurgeon died, it seems like some churches come to feel that they must have a remarkably gifted man when it comes to pulpit performance, and they can put that above sound doctrine or anything else.

You are right that we have to be careful in the "performance" trap. Congregations should not be looking for superstars but godly men who desire to shepherd their people.
The only difference though between Westminster and Metropolitan Tabernacle is that Metropolitan has maintained a solid Reformed witness and Westminster has not. Peter Masters, the current pastor at Metropolitan is a solid Reformed man, who has much of the same vision as Spurgeon did. If you read the history of the Tabernacle, there was only a short period where the church was not under a Reformed minister.

Amen. I thought about noting earlier that the Met Tab has had its ups and downs as well over the years as well until Dr. Masters ministry.

You are right that we have to be careful in the "performance" trap. Congregations should not be looking for superstars but godly men who desire to shepherd their people.
The only difference though between Westminster and Metropolitan Tabernacle is that Metropolitan has maintained a solid Reformed witness and Westminster has not. Peter Masters, the current pastor at Metropolitan is a solid Reformed man, who has much of the same vision as Spurgeon did. If you read the history of the Tabernacle, there was only a short period where the church was not under a Reformed minister.

I'm not intimately acquainted with either, but it seems that the departure at Westminster Chapel is greater than anything that ever occurred at the Met Tab. But I don't think Westminster Chapel had the succession of Calvinistic ministers the way the Met Tab and its predecessor the New Park Street Chapel did going all the way back to Benjamin Keach. G. Campbell Morgan (ML-J's predecessor at Westminster Chapel) was a renowned preacher, but he was not a Calvinist.

I'm not intimately acquainted with either, but it seems that the departure at Westminster Chapel is greater than anything that ever occurred at the Met Tab. But I don't think Westminster Chapel had the succession of Calvinistic ministers the way the Met Tab's predecessors did going back to Gill and perhaps prior to that. G. Campbell Morgan (ML-J's predecessor at Westminster Chapel) was a renowned preacher, but he was not a Calvinist.

That is right. I forgot about Lloyd-Jone's predecessor. I wonder if the same thing could be said of some PCA congregations (I will leave it to you to figure out which ones) that had Arminian ministers in the past.

I just got an email from CVBBS announcing that this title has arrived and is ready to ship. Click here for more.

This ought to be very good!

For the record: Lloyd Jones' "Studies in the Sermon on the Mount" is frankly the best book I've ever owned, one I find myself going back to continually.

I was going to ask where a good place to begin with Lloyd Jones is, but this seems to answer that question, at least in your opinion. Do others concur?

This ought to be very good!

For the record: Lloyd Jones' "Studies in the Sermon on the Mount" is frankly the best book I've ever owned, one I find myself going back to continually.

I was going to ask where a good place to begin with Lloyd Jones is, but this seems to answer that question, at least in your opinion. Do others concur?

It's definitely one of the better places to begin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back