Status
Not open for further replies.

C. Matthew McMahon

Christian Preacher
Spiritual Logic or Hints and Helps to Personal Devotions by Thomas Harrison D.D. (1618–1682)

Thomas Harrison D.D. (1618–1682) was a nonconformist divine and powerful preacher of the Gospel, who was well known for his eloquence and fluency both in prayer and preaching.

In this wonderful treatment of order and structure in communion with God, “Spiritual Logic” aids the reader in understanding that there is a logical order to the way one prays and thinks about their time of devotions. God is a God of logic, and so, why would someone not use logic in order to “order their prayers?”

Harrison is going to take you down a logical road of gaining some hints and helps to your personal devotional life. He will aid you in overcoming an inept prayer life to make your conversations with God run deeper. He deals with a number of preliminary aspects that serve as hindrances to good devotions, such as unacquaintedness with the Lord, a sense of more than ordinary unworthiness ever to be acquainted savingly with God, what it means to be jealous for Christ, and to love Christ, and the Father. He covers the fear of unbelief, the fear of hypocrisy, the fear of being acted only by a slavish spirit of fear, a sense of fearful backslidings, and a sense of one’s strong corruptions that hinder devotions. He speaks extensively of many negative thoughts that crowd the Christian when they try to have faithful devotions, such as desertion felt or feared by God (will God even hear me?), sudden uneasiness that one experiences from cloudy providences, how to deal with the dread of spiritual judgements, hardness of heart, and unprofitableness under the means of grace. Especially considered is the fear that one’s prayer is not heard.

His work is unique in that he not only gives various remedies for hindrances, but also helps to devotion in the actual way the Christian ought to logically speak to God by using his word (spiritual logic) in setting their prayers on God’s prescriptions.

This is an excellent work in showing, step by step, how the Christian can pray effectively using this spiritual logic, which is indeed, hints and helps to raise their personal devotions for the glory of the Redeemer.

This work is not a scan or facsimile, and has been updated in modern English for easy reading. It also has an active table of contents for electronic versions.

Get the eBook Pack here at Puritan Publications.
Get the Printed book here at my Spotlight Page.
Get the Amazon versions here.
Get the Google Play versions here.

Table of Contents
Spiritual Logic? by C. Matthew McMahon
Meet Thomas Harrison Edited by C. Matthew McMahon
Preface
Chapter 1: Introduction
Chapter 2: Breaking the Spirit of Slumber
Chapter 3: Praying to God
Chapter 4: Being Acquainted with God
Chapter 5: Secret Fears
Chapter 6: Presenting Yourself to God
Chapter 7: Overcoming Discouragement
Chapter 8: Dealing with God in Affliction
Chapter 9: Will God Hear Me?
Chapter 10: Looking Forward

SpiritualLogic-ThomasHarrisonPP.jpg

Thank you sir for this. I did not have this gentleman in my list of non-conformists. It is now added to the index. Thank you for all you do making these works available. Your APM Puritan Bios list is the list that got me started on my index; now 830+ authors later, it is almost complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back