New Book on the Parables

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenbaggins

Puritan Board Doctor
I wanted to put in a plug for a wonderful book I purchased recently on the parables. I have read only the first 10 pages so far, but am already deeply impressed. This is a major tome (846 pages with the indices) that offers a full-length commentary on every parable. Even the short ones get a full explanation (for instance, the one verse parable of the treasure in Matthew 13:44 gets 12 pages!). The parable of the sower gets 34 pages. He has read everything of importance, and the bibliography is priceless. This will certainly be the authoritative and standard treatment of the parables for quite some time to come. If anyone is thinking of preaching on the parables, this is a must read.

I just purchased Herman Hanko's Book on the Parables. Heard good things about it. I thought it was sizeable at 400+ pages! 846! Woa...Thanks Greenbaggins.

I wanted to put in a plug for a wonderful book I purchased recently on the parables. I have read only the first 10 pages so far, but am already deeply impressed. This is a major tome (846 pages with the indices) that offers a full-length commentary on every parable. Even the short ones get a full explanation (for instance, the one verse parable of the treasure in Matthew 13:44 gets 12 pages!). The parable of the sower gets 34 pages. He has read everything of importance, and the bibliography is priceless. This will certainly be the authoritative and standard treatment of the parables for quite some time to come. If anyone is thinking of preaching on the parables, this is a must read.

Thanks for lettting us know!
Do you what theological Klyne Snodgrass has, is he reformed ?

I have the same question as Ralph's, I noticed the author quotes N.T.Wright quite a lot.

Like ANY book, Snodgrass must be read with discretion and judgment. I have found several areas now where I disagree with him. However, all the options are there for interpretation. There is hardly a stone uncovered. Fortunately, this is a book on parables, not on Pauline interpretation. So, even if Snodgrass is NPP (which I don't know), it won't affect his exegesis of the Gospels too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back