New book on Theodore Beza

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's wonderful! I remember Dr. Wright always adding what my friends and I called "Beza bits" into his lectures at SBTS. Dr. Wright is a brilliant and godly scholar and servant of Christ. I'm sure it will be a great book; he is a very good writer.

(I had never heard of "church history" before his class. Yeah, pathetic, I know. But I love history and nearly minored in it during college. I remember sitting in his class about halfway through the first lecture when it dawned on me in these words: "It [history] comes for the church, too?" And I didn't stop smiling the rest of the week.

I also remember him telling us that day, "Gentlemen, for some of you, it will be a sin if you don't earn an A in this class. It will mean you wasted time, opportunities, and abilities God gave to you. For others of you, it will be a sin if you do earn an A; because you will have neglected godliness, family, and other responsibilities to please yourself or me." That stuck with me.)

Thanks Daniel. Does anyone know the approach of the biography? Scholarly or devotional? I don't associate the publisher with much academic work, but Beza doesn't seem like a likely target for a biography of a more popular style.

Thanks Daniel. Does anyone know the approach of the biography? Scholarly or devotional? I don't associate the publisher with much academic work, but Beza doesn't seem like a likely target for a biography of a more popular style.

I briefly flicked through the book earlier today; all I can say is that it has footnotes.

I briefly flicked through the book earlier today; all I can say is that it has footnotes.

Any author that convinces his publisher to go with footnotes over endnotes gets brownie points in my book. Consider my interest piqued.

Any author that convinces his publisher to go with footnotes over endnotes gets brownie points in my book. Consider my interest piqued.

Indeed. I hate endnotes. :mad:

Check out Henry Martyn Baird's Theodore Beza: The Counsellor of the French Reformation. And Chris, there are some footnotes for you!

As for Wright's book, he's a historian publishing with a Christian press. It's certainly not academic, but it has educational value, given the next to nothing known about Beza by even the Reformed community.

Check out Henry Martyn Baird's Theodore Beza: The Counsellor of the French Reformation. And Chris, there are some footnotes for you!

As for Wright's book, he's a historian publishing with a Christian press. It's certainly not academic, but it has educational value, given the next to nothing known about Beza by even the Reformed community.

Oh I wouldn't expect an Oxford University Press level of scholarly detail in this, but even within Christian press biographies there's a spectrum of approaches. For instance, even though he's a historian I didn't care much for the popular tone and lack of detail in Robert Godfrey's Calvin biography whereas a couple of the volumes in the American Reformed Biography series have been excellent and considerably more scholarly in approach despite not having an academic publisher.

That's not to say there isn't a place for popular works--it's just not something I care much for.

I had forgotten about Baird's works; I really should pick some of them up at some point.

Yes, his stuff on the Huegenots is great, but I think many would find his work on Beza equally well-written.

I heartily agree with both the Calvin and the ARB series comments. My only real point is that Christian Focus is known more for its "pastoral" and "devotional" quality.

The book is also available for pre-order on Amazon (release date is December 20) - $14.99 on Amazon Prime and $8.99 for the Kindle version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back