New books arrived today!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be very interested in hearing your thoughts on the Van Kleeck trilogy!

Nice pickups, Steve.

I would be very interested in hearing your thoughts on the Van Kleeck trilogy!

Nice pickups, Steve.
Third! Very interesting indeed. I do love the Authorized Version. I've not heard of Van Kleeck, though!

The Beale book has been quite enjoyable thus far. It seems he basically sides with WTS on the question of union with Christ, and I rather agree with him. As an aside, I also think it makes a good case for a realist understanding of original sin and our union with the first Adam. A few relevant quotes:

“…it is not only in being ‘united to him in his circumcision-death’ but also, especially in being united to him in his resurrection that “everything that happened to him” happens to us in our past, is happening, and will happen to us. Some passages will focus on believers’ union with an attribute of Christ whereby the believer is seen to be represented by Christ in such a way that the believer is fully identified with that attribute of Christ; in other words, what Christ is, the believer (in union with Christ) is. For example, we will see that in the case of the classic doctrine of justification (declaration of believers’ righteousness), when believers come into union with the resurrected Christ, they are credited with his perfect righteousness; that is, they are represented by the perfectly righteous, ascended Christ and are considered and seen to be perfectly righteous...

union with Christ entails a vital, living relationship with Christ, which some may call “mystical” union.” “It is nothing less than a life-union, a union in life shared with Christ… a union in life with Christ [which] is also Spiritual,” because it is effected by the enlivening work of the Spirit in the Christian.” (Union with the Resurrected Christ, pgs. 4-5, 7)

"Constantine Campbell has summarized "the state of the union" concept well. He refers to the believer's close "relatedness" to Christ as being best conveyed through four terms: union, participation, identification, and incorporation. Union gathers up faith union with Christ, mutual indwelling trinitarian, and nuptial notions. Participation conveys partaking in the events of Christ's narrative. Identification refers to believers' location in the realm of Christ and their allegiance to his lordship. Incorporation encapsulates the corporate dimension of membership in Christ's body." (pg. 6)

"The text that I see as the strongest affirmation of the positive imputation of Christ's righteousness to believers is 1 Corinthians 1:30: "But by His doing you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification [or "holiness"], and redemption." Believers' identification and union with Christ means that "in him" they are considered to have the same (perfect) wisdom, righteousness, holiness, and redemption that Christ had. This does not mean that believers perfectly possess these attributes in their personal existence on earth; rather, they are represented by Christ as having perfectly become these things for them because of their positional identification of unity with him (i.e., they "are in Christ"). The "for us" (hemin) refers to their position "in Christ Jesus" and identification with his attributes being on their behalf or for their benefit. Believers are considered to have the same (perfect) wisdom, righteousness, holiness, and redemption that Christ had." (pgs. 179-180)

"...people come into union with Christ through regeneration..." (pg. 189).

Thanks, Ryan, for those quotes. Being so busy, I haven't been able to get much into it yet. How were you able to copy and paste them? Do you have the book via Logos? or Kindle?

I got the book because the topic is so important to me, and Beale -- whatever he does -- does thoroughly.

Thanks, Ryan, for those quotes. Being so busy, I haven't been able to get much into it yet. How were you able to copy and paste them? Do you have the book via Logos? or Kindle?

I got the book because the topic is so important to me, and Beale -- whatever he does -- does thoroughly.

No, I typed them out myself haha. My interest in the book stemmed from whether Beale's book touched on a realist understanding of our union with the first and/or last Adam. I've been sitting on those quotes for several weeks as I've been talking to a few other people, actually. I only today thought to mention them here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back