New Commentary on the Book of Isaiah

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Just arrived in the mail on Monday:

Isaiah: Volume One: Chapters 1-27 by Paul R. House; A Mentor Commentary series (Fearn, Scotland: Mentor, 2019), 752 pages.

Isaiah: Volume Two: Chapters 28-66 by Paul R. House; A Mentor Commentary series (Fearn, Scotland: Mentor, 2019), 784 pages.

House is Professor of Divinity at Beeson Divinity School in Birmingham, Alabama, and has more than 30 years of experience as a pastor and a teacher (including at the seminary level).

According to one of the inside endorsements: "What if the entire book came from Isaiah and was spoken during the Assyrian era? He tests the viability of this thesis by arranging Isaiah's messages in chronological order and in tune with many Assyrian historical sources."

Should be an interesting commentary.

Have you read any others by House, or any others in the Mentor Series?

Have you read any others by House, or any others in the Mentor Series?

I haven't read anything else by House, but I'm using two commentaries from the Mentor series (Mentor is an imprint of Christian Focus Publications) in my daily devotional time: (1) I'm working my way through the Book of Psalms using Allan Harman's 2-volume commentary (for the second time!), published in 2011 and (2) I'm also reading through the Gospel of Matthew using the late J. Knox Chamblin's 2-volume commentary, published in 2010.

The Mentor commentaries are sturdy hardback books. They are not technical commentaries, but they are exegetically solid, along with being pastorally sensitive and devotionally responsible.

In that series, I have also acquired Irvin A. Busenitz's commentary on Joel and Obadiah (2003) and John L. Mackay's commentaries on Proverbs (2006), which I'll go through when I'm finished with the Psalms, and on Lamentations (2008). Mackay also has a 2-volume commentary on Jeremiah, which I intend to acquire.

The series seems to be concentrating on the Old Testament side, so far, with commentaries in the New Testament only on Matthew (as noted) and Galatians, so far.

I highly recommend them.

That is very helpful. I hadn't even heard of the series before. I really enjoyed Mackay on Micah. I think I will get his commentary on Jeremiah.

Richard,

Just curious- What Bible translation does House use in his commentary? I'm guessing ESV? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back