New ESV Transformation Bible Released 10/1/13

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMcFadden

Puritanboard Commissioner
Of the printing of new specialty Bibles there is no end and too much attention to the nuances of Christian publishing is wearisome to the soul.

Nevertheless, Bryan Chapell's new product boasts an impressive list of contributors.

Old Testament
Genesis Willem VanGemeren
Exodus Sean Lucas
Leviticus Jay Sklar
Numbers Michael Morales
Deuteronomy Mark Futato
Joshua Mike Horton
Judges Brian Aucker
Ruth Mary Beth McGreevy
1–2 Samuel Phil Long
1–2 Kings Miles Van Pelt
1–2 Chronicles Miles Van Pelt
Ezra Kathleen Nielson
Nehemiah Kathleen Nielson
Esther Elyse Fitzpatrick
Job Paul Zahl
Psalms George Robertson/
Bruce Ware
Proverbs Ray Ortlund
Ecclesiastes Doug O’Donnell
Song of Solomon Doug O’Donnell
Isaiah Kelly Kapic
Jeremiah Graeme Goldsworthy
Lamentations Graeme Goldsworthy
Ezekiel Greg Gilbert
Daniel Bryan Chapell
Hosea Jim Hamilton
Joel Tim Witmer
Amos David Helm
Obadiah Michael Glodo
Jonah Colin Smith
Micah Nancy Guthrie
Nahum Michael Glodo
Habakkuk Julius Kim
Zephaniah Darrin Patrick
Haggai Iain Duguid
Zechariah Iain Duguid
Malachi Iain Duguid

New Testament
Matthew Frank Thielman
Mark Hans Bayer
Luke Jonathan Pennington
John Scotty Smith
Acts Justin Holcomb
Romans Bob Yarbrough
1 Corinthians Jimmy Agan
2 Corinthians Stephen Um
Galatians Ian Smith
Ephesians Kevin DeYoung
Philippians Jon Dennis
Colossians Julius Kim
1–2 Thessalonians Burk Parsons
1–2 Timothy Kent Hughes
Titus J. D. Greear
Philemon Julius Kim
Hebrews Robert Peterson
James Dan Doriani
1–2 Peter Jared Wilson
1–3 John Mike Bullmore
Jude Jared Wilson
Revelation Jim Hamilton

For video promo: http://vimeo.com/68544918

For interview with Bryan Chapell: http://vimeo.com/71815017

For some sample quotes from the notes: http://www.desiringgod.org/blog/posts/20-quotes-from-the-gospel-transformation-bible

The apostle Paul summed up his whole ministry as existing “to testify to the gospel of the grace of God” (Acts 20:24). That single-minded goal is the heartbeat of the ESV Gospel Transformation Bible. Produced out of the conviction that the Bible is a unified message of God’s grace culminating in Jesus, it is a significant new tool to help readers see Christ in all the Bible, and grace for all of life.

The Gospel Transformation Bible features all-new book introductions and gospel-illuminating notes written by a team of over 50 outstanding pastors and scholars. This specially prepared material outlines passage-by-passage God’s redemptive purposes of grace that echo all through Scripture and culminate in Christ. The notes not only explain but also apply the text in a grace-centered way. Focusing on heart transformation rather than mere behavior modification, their points of application emphasize the Hows and Whys of practical application to daily living—in short, how the gospel transforms us from the inside out.

The Gospel Transformation Bible is available in a wide variety of print and digital formats. Moreover, every print edition comes with free access to the Online Gospel Transformation Bible, hosted at ESVBible.org.

The Gospel Transformation Bible will equip both new and seasoned believers with a gospel-centered reading of Scripture, enabling God’s people to see that the message of the Bible is a unified one—“to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.”

Black letter text
Double-column, paragraph format
Book introductions
Gospel transformation study notes
Introductory essay
Concordance
80,000 cross-references
Free access to the Online Gospel Transformation Bible

It captures the idea that Jesus knew what he was saying on the Emmaus Road (Luke 24) about all of Scripture bearing witness to him. Bryan Chapell not only wrote a preaching book on the topic, but, as editor of the Bible, makes sure that the Christocentric theme of the Bible comes through clearly.

I must admit that when I first saw this in my CBD members catalogue, I was drawn to it & contemplated purchasing a copy but I haven't YET. I am getting weary of specialty Bibles myself. Although I am a huge advocate of a Christocentric approach to reading Scripture (especially in my Private Worship), I am a little leery the Trinity may become rather lopsided ... Does anyone else have reservations? hesitance? pause?

Are you recommending the Transformation Bible or just announcing it?

Ruth Mary Beth McGreevy
Ezra Kathleen Nielson
Esther Elyse Fitzpatrick
Micah Nancy Guthrie

Isn't this considered "teaching?"

I'm confused as to how to view this.
Great question!
I was asking myself the same thing.

Two things immediately came to mind...

Were you planning on using it for corporate worship?
NOT LIKELY.
Do you sing songs composed by women in corporate worship (I know of quite a few female hymn composers)?
If you are not EP, MOST LIKELY.

I don't have near as big of a problem with women pointing out Christ in the Old Testament of Scripture (Ruth, Ezra, Nehemiah, Ester & Micah) in a book for personal study as I do singing songs composed by women in the corporate worship of God (which is considered "teaching").

:2cents:

I don't have near as big of a problem with women pointing out Christ in the Old Testament of Scripture (Ruth, Ezra, Nehemiah, Ester & Micah) in a book for personal study as I do singing songs composed by women in the corporate worship of God

We have warrant for that in Scripture, actually, in Miriam and Deborah.

Reflection on Scripture (theology) is the task of all Christians, not merely those called as teachers.

I don't have near as big of a problem with women pointing out Christ in the Old Testament of Scripture (Ruth, Ezra, Nehemiah, Ester & Micah) in a book for personal study as I do singing songs composed by women in the corporate worship of God

We have warrant for that in Scripture, actually, in Miriam and Deborah.

Reflection on Scripture (theology) is the task of all Christians, not merely those called as teachers.

The songs by Mariam & Deborah are Holy Spirit INSPIRED CANONICAL Songs ... the songs composed by women & sung in corporate worship that I had in mind are uninspired non-canonical hymns.

NOT LIKELY.

You don't think using the Bible in corporate worship happens often?
Please do not take my words out of context. I was speaking of the contributions by women pointing out Christ in the Old Testament in the "Transformation" Bible NOT "the Bible" itself. That said, I don't think the Bible us used nearly enough in congregations where the singing of God's Word is put on the same level as the uninspired hymns of men/women or not sung at all (but that is for another thread).

Crossway's unrelenting, non-stop marketing campaign for the ESV - now in its 12th year!

I like the translation, but I think Crossway needs to give it a rest...

Many of the contributors on that list have written things that have been helpful to me, including some of the women. None of them is my elder. The fact that I read what they say doesn't put any of them in authority over me; it just makes them wise brothers and sisters whom I find helpful—much as I find both men and women who write things here on this board to be helpful without treating their words as having authority over me.

It sounds like the contributions to this publication will include a lot of good stuff. I may well pick up a copy and read many of the notes and articles.

I don't believe that many of these people qualify as biblical scholars (in the technical sense) who have the expertise to write a study Bible.

I don't believe that many of these people qualify as biblical scholars (in the technical sense) who have the expertise to write a study Bible.

More true if you were asking for translators. The purpose of the book is to offer a kind of "application Bible" centered in the Gospel that does not become therapeutic moralistic deism like so many broad evangelical efforts. As Crossway puts it:

The notes not only explain but also apply the text in a grace-centered way. Focusing on heart transformation rather than mere behavior modification, their points of application emphasize the Hows and Whys of practical application to daily living—in short, how the gospel transforms us from the inside out.

Ruth Mary Beth McGreevy
Ezra Kathleen Nielson
Esther Elyse Fitzpatrick
Micah Nancy Guthrie

Great question!

NOT LIKELY.
Do you sing songs composed by women in corporate worship (I know of quite a few female hymn composers)?

I don't have near as big of a problem with women pointing out Christ in the Old Testament of Scripture (Ruth, Ezra, Nehemiah, Ester & Micah) in a book for personal study as I do singing songs composed by women in the corporate worship of God (which is considered "teaching").

Wait, I don't get it? Why does anyone see this as "bad"? Women CAN teach! We teach men math, economics, public speaking. We correct men's unbiblical interpretation of scripture all the time. We preach the gospel, teaching men about Jesus and about the gospel. What is wrong with any of this? Women can teach men spiritual things. Refusing to learn truth from someone just because that individual is female sounds sexist. There is nothing unbiblical about women teaching men.

However, women are not to be pastors in authority over men. This is a completely different issue.

Ruth Mary Beth McGreevy
Ezra Kathleen Nielson
Esther Elyse Fitzpatrick
Micah Nancy Guthrie

Great question!

NOT LIKELY.

Wait, I don't get it? Why does anyone see this as "bad"? Women CAN teach! We teach men math, economics, public speaking. We correct men's unbiblical interpretation of scripture all the time. We preach the gospel, teaching men about Jesus and about the gospel. What is wrong with any of this? Women can teach men spiritual things. Refusing to learn truth from someone just because that individual is female sounds sexist. There is nothing unbiblical about women teaching men.

However, women are not to be pastors in authority over men. This is a completely different issue.

And, I honestly don't have a problem with women teaching (the way you define it) OUTSIDE of corporate worship. That was the point. If these women were teaching these things during corporate worship (their contributions to the Gospel Transformation Bible were being used during corporate worship) then it would be an issue but it is highly unlikely that a "Reformed" minister would do such a thing. It is much more likely that they will sing a noncanonical uninspired hymn written by a women (which is teaching during corporate worship). My underlying point was that most of the Reformed congregations today have no problem singing hymns written by women but get all bent out of shape about women "teaching." Where is the consistency?

In case you missed my earlier comment, I am interested in this "application" or "specialty" Bible but haven't purchased it "YET!"

If these women were teaching these things during corporate worship (their contributions to the Gospel Transformation Bible were being used during corporate worship) then it would be an issue

Are you saying that you would have a problem with quoting a woman in the context of corporate worship? Because that would seem to be taking it a bit far.

If these women were teaching these things during corporate worship (their contributions to the Gospel Transformation Bible were being used during corporate worship) then it would be an issue

Are you saying that you would have a problem with quoting a woman in the context of corporate worship? Because that would seem to be taking it a bit far.
I am sincerely sorry my comments have been so difficult to comprehend.

No, I wouldn't have a problem with a quote. I would have a problem with preaching from "a woman's contribution to an application/specialty Bible" rather than preaching the Scriptures themselves...

My comments may prove to have a little more clarity if you read them with a little more charity.

Dennis E. McFadden,
Thank you for sharing. Your post are most helpful to me. This one has peaked my curiosity.
I may have to purchase the Gospel Transformation Bible sooner than I had planned to.
As for this thread, I'm stepping out.
In Christian Love,
Jessica

I'm with Jessica - I feel a bit uneasy about the female contributors as well.

"But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence." - 1 Tim 2:12

I'm certainly open to correction, but I don't read this verse as dealing solely with the pastoral office.

No, I wouldn't have a problem with a quote. I would have a problem with preaching from "a woman's contribution to an application/specialty Bible" rather than preaching the Scriptures themselves...

Ok. I'm still confused, given that I've never heard a preacher preach from the notes on Scripture rather than on the Scripture itself. The contributions here are usually in the form of notes and I would have a problem with preaching from them whether it was a man or a woman who contributed to them.

I'm certainly open to correction, but I don't read this verse as dealing solely with the pastoral office.

Can you elaborate?

Can you elaborate?

Sure...I was mostly responding to this specific post below:

Women CAN teach! We teach men math, economics, public speaking. We correct men's unbiblical interpretation of scripture all the time. We preach the gospel, teaching men about Jesus and about the gospel. What is wrong with any of this? Women can teach men spiritual things. Refusing to learn truth from someone just because that individual is female sounds sexist. There is nothing unbiblical about women teaching men.

Now I will agree with Psyche on her first premise - I have no qualms about a woman teaching math, economics, etc. However, the bold portions I would disagree with her. I do not believe women should be preachers of the gospel and based on 1 Tim 2:12, I think there is something very unbiblical about women teaching men. And I think this goes beyond just the specific role of the pastorate. For example, I would feel uneasy about a women leading a Sunday school class with adult men in it.

Perhaps Psycheives is referring to witnessing where she say's about preaching and not actual preaching as such?

Some are worried about the women being involved with the New ESV. That is not an issue with me as I will not be using it. But I wonder, just curious, how people feel that there were two homosexuals involved with the creation of the NIV. One a man and the other a woman.

Some are worried about the women being involved with the New ESV. That is not an issue with me as I will not be using it. But I wonder, just curious, how people feel that there were two homosexuals involved with the creation of the NIV. One a man and the other a woman.

Is that an issue for you since you are using it? :)

Brett, I know you like the KJV but maybe this is a little out of place? Yet, how do you feel having a drunken Arminian on the KJV translation committee? Or a high-church Anglican who was close to Roman Catholic in some of his views? And yet, despite having some theological differences with several of the translators, I still have a huge respect for the KJV. In fact, I'm currently waiting for my calfskin copy with the metrical psalms to arrive in the mail :cool:

On topic, I'm not really seeing a problem with the notes for personal use. Otherwise I should avoid reading anything written by women.

Oh, and hello Rom.

Last edited:

I think we've strayed quite far from the original post here. It also seems that we have lost sight of the fact that these are written study notes. If (as a man) your conscience is bothered by learning something theological from a woman, just read the notes to the other books, or don't buy this Study Bible. Perhaps, though, you might recognize that some of the people who will use the Study Bible are in fact women, who may be very edified by the writing of other godly women.

In addition, do you ever read anything theological written by unbelievers? I know that I often read commentaries written by unbelievers and benefit from their insights. In one sense I am being taught by them, but it is not at all the same thing as have them preach, lead or even facilitate a Bible study in my church. If I can do that, why could I not read and profit from the theological writings of godly women? I've certainly learned much theological truth from conversations with my own wife, and am glad when other Christians (men and women) can learn similar things from her. She will never preach in our church, but she can certainly edify people through her writing, counseling and other conversations, without ever usurping authority from me or the elders of the church.

Perhaps Psycheives is referring to witnessing where she say's about preaching and not actual preaching as such?

Yes, I think it important to not read into what might have been an infelicitous choice of words, by our sister, Psycheives.

In a thread apparently spawned by this one, she has shown herself to be thoughtful and open to any correction offered from careful study of Scripture. I am blessed whenever I see encounter sort of behavior from any person, male or female, and it convicts me of my own stubbornness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back