New Faculty appointments at Westminster Seminary California

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjmacvey

Puritan Board Freshman
On January 15, 2009, the Westminster Seminary California board of trustees approved the following appointments of new academic administrators:

* The Rev. John V. Fesko, Ph.D., as academic dean and associate professor of systematic theology beginning July 1, 2009.

* The Rev. John G. Bales, M.Div., as interim library director and lecturer in theological bibliography beginning February 1, 2009.

Detailed information here:

Westminster Seminary California newsevents

I thought Oral Roberts was a dental school??? And didn't Joel Osteen go there to get his pearly whites?

osteenad.jpg

joel-osteen-10-07-lg.jpg

On January 15, 2009, the Westminster Seminary California board of trustees approved the following appointments of new academic administrators:

* The Rev. John V. Fesko, Ph.D., as academic dean and associate professor of systematic theology beginning July 1, 2009.

* The Rev. John G. Bales, M.Div., as interim library director and lecturer in theological bibliography beginning February 1, 2009.

Thanks Mr. MacVey for the update. And you were right about WTS Dallas. They are now Redeemer Seminary.

I wonder why they didn't hire someone who was already qualified with a library science background/degree.

Rev. Bales holds the B.A. from Northwestern College and M.Div. from Fuller Theological Seminary. He subsequently received a fellowship for further study at Calvin Theological Seminary. He has taken coursework in library science and intends to complete a master’s degree in this field over the next several years.

I wonder why they didn't hire someone who was already qualified with a library science background/degree.

Rev. Bales holds the B.A. from Northwestern College and M.Div. from Fuller Theological Seminary. He subsequently received a fellowship for further study at Calvin Theological Seminary. He has taken coursework in library science and intends to complete a master’s degree in this field over the next several years.

You can ask the seminary directly, but as one close to the situation, I'd respond:
1) Because the librarian at WSC is a faculty member, therefore must have theological training, i.e., M.A., M.Div.
2) Because finding people with both an M.A., M.Div. and MLS is near impossible.

You can ask the seminary directly, but as one close to the situation, I'd respond:
1) Because the librarian at WSC is a faculty member, therefore must have theological training, i.e., M.A., M.Div.
2) Because finding people with both an M.A., M.Div. and MLS is near impossible.

What Rev. Hyde noted is correct. It is no easy task to find an individual with a theological degree and a degree in library science. A number of individuals were interviewed for the position and Rev. Bales was found to be a very promising candidate. His appointment is on an interim basis until he completes the MLS degree (which is currently in process).

-----Added 1/30/2009 at 08:25:33 EST-----

Thanks Mr. MacVey for the update. And you were right about WTS Dallas. They are now Redeemer Seminary.

You are welcome, Ben. I enjoyed meeting you during your visit to Escondido, I hope you are well.

If I had a library science degree, I'd take the job in a heartbeat! I love libraries!!! :book2:

Go for the degree then. There are several reputable distance MLIS programs.

My comment was something of a joke, but thanks for the encouragement nonetheless! (but seriously, I do love libraries)

Yes, I'm doing well Mr. Macvey! It is good to hear from you, and it was a pleasure getting to know you at WSC.

Ben,

Did you consider Westminster/Dallas (now Redeemer) in your search for a seminary? I noticed you are in San Antonio, much closer to Dallas than SoCal. Maybe you mentioned it already and I missed it.

Mark

Fesko is kind of a mixed bag.

He was a member of the Advisory Committee at the OPC's General Assembly at Dordt College several years ago when Lee Irons appealed his conviction. (I was a commissioner to the GA that year.) Fesko worked very hard to make sure that happened. However, Irons's appeal was rejected by the Assembly.

I think Fesko likes the Framework Hypothesis, too.

On the other hand, he is very much an opponent of the Federal Vision/New Perspective on Paul folks.

So, as I say, a mixed bag.

Ben,

Did you consider Westminster/Dallas (now Redeemer) in your search for a seminary? I noticed you are in San Antonio, much closer to Dallas than SoCal. Maybe you mentioned it already and I missed it.

Mark

I have considered it, but when you compare the profs, WSCAL seems to be stronger. I know Redeemer has Ferguson, but I don't see Redeemer as having the mentoring program that WSCAL and GPTS have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back