New Group Demands Apology from Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marrow Man

Drunk with Powder
A group named the Freedom for Christian Women Foundation, which developed from the work of "Baptist Women for Equality," (or bWe) has written a letter to the Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood demanding an apology.

July 24, 2010

Dr. Randy Stinson, President
Council on Biblical Manhood and Biblical Womanhood
2825 Lexington Road, Box 926
Louisville, KY 40280

And

Dr. J Ligon Duncan III
Chairman of the Board of the CBMBW
First Presbyterian Church
1390 North State Street
Jackson, MS 39202

The Freedom for Christian Women Coalition met on July 24, 2010, in Orlando, Florida, and agreed and affirmed this Demand for an Apology from the Council on Biblical Manhood and Biblical Womanhood because of the concerns as listed in the following pages.

For the sake of all Christians, men and women, we demand that the Council on Biblical Manhood and Biblical Womanhood, make a public apology for the misuse of Holy Scripture as it relates to women, and cease to publish or promote The Danvers Statement on Biblical Manhood and Biblical Womanhood.

Sincerely,
Freedom for Christian Women Coalition

You can read the article here. To see the attachments for the letter, go here.

What exactly is the bWe and how did all of this develop?

Demand? HUH?

The fact of a "demand" is bad enough, but when the "demand" is accompanied by completely slanderous accusations, it really takes the cake...

I had never heard of them. The letter doesn't help much, either: the two pages for signatures (where we could see who was involved) are blank

I found this to be a telling paragraph:

Four of the five organizers of the conference were Christians and the conference was hosted at a Methodist Church. It was a predominantly Christian led event.

Would at least be nice if they'd gotten the organization's name correct. (i.e. CBMW, not CBMBW)

The more I look at that list of "offenses" the more I see typical humanist idiocy. The CBMW is said to "deny the love of Christ fully to women", and teach that men are "godlike in their relationship to women". This group is "concerned with the mistranslation of Scriptures". The rest of the list is FULL of accusations that are simple logical fallacies... oh well. I've seen enough. Time to do something more intellectually challenging with my time (like empty out my pencil sharpener).

"We don't demand solid facts. What we demand is a total absence of solid facts. I demand that I may or may not be Vroomfondel." :D

Why not write a letter back to them and say "rather, we would gladly receive an apology for your largely misuse of the Holy Scriptures on many areas, such as pretty much every heresy known to the whole of the church!"

Not a single passage of Scripture is mentioned, referenced, or explained in the letter or its attachments. :rolleyes:

Oh the irony of a feminist movement demanding that others kowtow to their view of scripture.

I'm not sure I understand. Is the Council of Biblican Manhood and Womanhood associated with any denomination? Do they actually have any authority? It was my understanding that they were just a group or society that discussed these issues and put out books, articles etc. Under those circumstances, demanding an apology seems odd. Why wouldn't you just ignore them?

(And that's not even dealing with the content of anything they or the Council have said).

Well, the Bible teaches Male headship in the household, as well as that the father/husband has dominion over their spouse and children.

However, it sounds like to me that they are seeing some cases where the father/husband is using this biblical authority to manipulate, neglect, and abuse their family, yet the council are taking these "very rare" incidents and assuming this is how it all pans out with everybody.

They are also making the implication that the parents (especially the father) have absolutely no authority over their children (and I can think of many cases in scripture where that is a big no-no).

I will say this though: It's Scripture, and I will honor it. No petitions, demands, threats, or bribes will make me do otherwise (regardless if I am not the head of the household or not). As far as this company is concerned, they should disregard this letter as nothing more than hate mail.

Their so-called demands amount to nothing more than a brazen attempt at self-aggrandizing publicity.

This is not a serious challenge. It is full of culturally-based demands and claims that women are "immobilized" if their roles differ from those of men. It's plain to see that's over the top.

I have seen serious, Bible-based arguments put forth to challenge the position of the Council on Biblical Manhood and Biblical Womanhood. Such challenges should be answered carefully, and with grace and humility. But this is not one of those.

I don't have the quote but I've heard Ligon Duncan has stated that if you can get from where the Scriptures say "I don't permit a woman to speak..." that "I permit a woman to speak..." then you can make the Scriptures say anything.

They ought to instead say: "We demand that you apologize for not adopting a deconstructionist view of the Word of God and acknowledge this was all written by men anyway so we can ignore all metanarratives and construct our own meaning."

Lord, please deliver me from the zealous crusaders before I say something really stupid and "in kind" in reply.

They are just looking to get their name on the map and in America this is the best way to do it.
speaking of the map, - it's a bit appropriate that the indignation meeting was held in Orlando of all places, at least it is if you've ever had the misfortune to encounter the book of that name by Virginia Woolf.

When I was just beginning seminary, and was being examined as a student of theology to come under care of the presbytery, it was at a meeting of presbytery where a group at a church was trying to push for a memorial (aka overture) that would allow the ordination of female elders. That effort was quashed, the pastor left the denomination, and a helpful position paper came out of the hoop-la. But when I had to stand and speak before the presbytery, I expressed how thankful I was that there were still denominations that were faithful to confessional standards such as the WCF, and how I had come out of a denomination (the PC(USA)) had now gone so far astray that it was not only ordaining women to the ministry, but was even considering the ordination of homosexuals. I got a few amens, but then I found out about a month later that a woman from the church (the one that wanted the memorial) had called the denomination's central office and complained about my comments and demanded that either I or the presbytery apologize for my comments. Needless to say, neither of those happened.

They are just looking to get their name on the map and in America this is the best way to do it.
speaking of the map, - it's a bit appropriate that the indignation meeting was held in Orlando of all places, at least it is if you've ever had the misfortune to encounter the book of that name by Virginia Woolf.

Since this took place in Orlando, this might be a more appropriate church to meet: Basilica of the National Shrine of Mary, Queen of the Universe Catholic Homepage [Warning: Possible Second Commandment Violation]

Since this took place in Orlando, this might be a more appropriate church to meet: Basilica of the National Shrine of Mary, Queen of the Universe Catholic Homepage [Warning: Possible Second Commandment Violation]
:barfy: :barfy: :barfy: :barfy: :barfy: :barfy:

Since you liked that so much, Rich, you'll love this blurb, from the "About the Shrine" page:

A 2,000 seat Shrine Church adorned with inspirational stained-glass windows, depicting the story of God's love for man, and Mary's place in God's plan for salvation. The Shrine's fourteen aisle windows are entitled "The Magnificat Windows."

Now, I think I'll join you: :barfy:

Since you liked that so much, Rich, you'll love this blurb, from the "About the Shrine" page:

A 2,000 seat Shrine Church adorned with inspirational stained-glass windows, depicting the story of God's love for man, and Mary's place in God's plan for salvation. The Shrine's fourteen aisle windows are entitled "The Magnificat Windows."

Now, I think I'll join you: :barfy:

I've been trying to lose weight....thanks for the assistance :cheers2: .

I like women. God loves them. There are Biblical roles. Deal with it. Now for a Gritty's Summer Ale.

I like women. God loves them. There are Biblical roles. Deal with it. Now for a Gritty's Summer Ale.

Its possible this is the best summation of the issue that I've seen. Thank you, sir. And enjoy your Ale. (In 2 hours, I will be relaxing outside with a Sam Adam's Summer Ale. Have been thinking about it all day)

I've got a response for them:

1-800-WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHMBULANCE :violin:

That is awsome. Joshua I am going to use that if you don't mine, it reminds me of that new Geico comercial with the guy from Full Metal Jacket as the therapist, very funny. The book Recovering Biblical Manhood and Womenhood by Crossway is very good on all things pertaining to this subject, I highly recomend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back