New Person Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote:c9181c5440]
Forgive my ignorance...what is a Byzantine Catholic?
[/quote:c9181c5440]

:ditto:

Thanks for asking about the differences between the Byzantine Catholic Church and the Roman Catholic Church. First off let me say that the Byzantine Catholic Church is in full communion with the Roman Catholic Church. However, the Byzantine Catholic Church is a rite of the Roman Catholic Church. Basically, we are Eastern Orthodox Christians in communion with Rome. There is basically no difference between the Eastern Orthodox and ourselves accept we pray for the Patriarch of Rome (Pope) where as the Eastern Orthodox pray for their particular Patriarch (Greek, Russian, Balkan, etc...) during liturgy ( see: http://www.ocf.org/OrthodoxPage/liturgy/liturgy.html ).

This means we do things a little different than the Latin (Roman) Catholics. For example, we have married priest. Celibacy is choice not a doctrine of the Latin (Roman) rite. We have maintained our married priesthood. Another difference is that we give communion to infants where as the Latin (Roman) rite waits till the age of reason (about 12 years of age).

There are 22 different rites of the Catholic Church. For example, the Maronite ( see: http://www.bkerke.org.lb/ ) and the Melkites ( see: http://www.melkite.org/Bearers of the Mysteries/ChapterTwo.htm ). Both of these rites originated in or near the Holy Land and they were never in schism from the Roman Catholic.

Interesting fact about the Melkites is that it is perhaps the oldest continuous Christian community in the world. The Melkite Church has its roots in the two principal cities of the Roman province of Syria. Scripture records that there was a Christian community of Jewish origin in Damascus before Saint Paul's conversion in 38 AD. It was there that he was headed when he encountered the risen Christ (Acts 9:1-9). This is the origin of the Melkites, which still remain in Syria and the Holy Land till this day. On the news when you hear about Christians in Lebanon, Syria, and Palestine most of their populations are either Melkite or Maronite.

Anyway, I don't want to bore you with all this stuff.

God Bless!

While anyone and everyone is free to read the Puritan Board, posting privileges in the discussions are reserved for those who affirm that they adhere to either the Westminster Confession of Faith or the Second London Baptist Confession of Faith as proper expressions of their understanding of the Word of God.

These Confessions may be read by clicking these links:

The Westminster Confession of Faith

The Second London Baptist Confession of Faith

Those who do adhere to either of these Confessions would readily agree that the Roman Catholic Church, Eastern Orthodox, or any church that has communion with the Roman Catholic Church is far from a sound Biblical church, and would in fact declare that such a "church" was preaching a false gospel, following an anti-Christ (the pope), and is not a true church of Jesus Christ.

Further, a member of such a "church" would readily deny the key doctrines of the Protestant Reformation, namely the doctrines of:

[b:4ce4011e6b]Sola Scriptura[/b:4ce4011e6b] - Scripture alone (66 books, no Apocrypha, no magesterium or tradition) is the infallible rule for faith and practice.

[quote:4ce4011e6b]We reaffirm the inerrant Scripture to be the sole source of written divine revelation,which alone can bind the conscience. The Bible alone teaches all that is necessary for our salvation from sin and is the standard by which all Christian behavior must be measured.

We deny that any creed, council or individual may bind a Christian's conscience, that the Holy Spirit speaks independently of or contrary to what is set forth in the Bible, or that personal spiritual experience can ever be a vehicle of revelation.[/quote:4ce4011e6b]

[b:4ce4011e6b]Sola Gratia[/b:4ce4011e6b] - Salvation is a gift of God's grace alone, with no works added to it. It cannot be purchased, earned, or obtained by human will, nor can it be bestowed by any church.

[quote:4ce4011e6b]We reaffirm that in salvation we are rescued from God's wrath by his grace alone. It is the supernatural work of the Holy Spirit that brings us to Christ by releasing us from our bondage to sin and raising us from spiritual death to spiritual life.

We deny that salvation is in any sense a human work. Human methods, techniques or strategies by themselves cannot accomplish this transformation. Faith is not produced by our unregenerated human nature.[/quote:4ce4011e6b]

[b:4ce4011e6b]Sola Fide[/b:4ce4011e6b] - Justification is by faith alone, with no works added to it for merit.

[quote:4ce4011e6b]We reaffirm that justification is by grace alone through faith alone because of Christ alone. In justification Christ's righteousness is imputed to us as the only possible satisfaction of God's perfect justice.

We deny that justification rests on any merit to be found in us, or upon the grounds of an infusion of Christ's righteousness in us, or that an institution claiming to be a church that denies or condemns sola fide can be recognized as a legitimate church.[/quote:4ce4011e6b]

[b:4ce4011e6b]Solus Christus [/b:4ce4011e6b]- salvation is found in Christ alone and His completed work on the cross, and is not affected by prayers to any dead saints, time spent in purgatory, and with no degree of assistance in any way from Mary to whom Christ was born.

[quote:4ce4011e6b]We reaffirm that our salvation is accomplished by the mediatorial work of the historical Christ alone. His sinless life and substitutionary atonement alone are sufficient for our justification and reconciliation to the Father.

We deny that the gospel is preached if Christ's substitutionary work is not declared and faith in Christ and his work is not solicited.[/quote:4ce4011e6b]

For more on the Five Solas, visit the Threshold here .

While we are glad that many have found this discussion forum and read it often, we do restrict membership and posting privileges as has been explained. We do pray that God will use the discussions about His Word to open people's eyes to the truth of the gospel. He will always accomplish the purpose for whirch He sends out His Word. (Isaiah 55:11).

Any questions may be emailed to one of the owners or admimstrators of this forum.

Phillip
[i:4ce4011e6b]Super Administrator[/i:4ce4011e6b]
[email protected]

Greetings. Maybe you can try the Walter Martin Board. They have a catholic discussion board there that you might like. I was Catholic for 37 years.

God Bless,
Gregg

[quote:2636d8136e][i:2636d8136e]Originally posted by aByzantineCatholic[/i:2636d8136e]
I am not welcome here so I am going to move on.

God Bless! [/quote:2636d8136e]

Only by board standards friend. We originally created this board with the goal of exhorting protestant Christians that embrace certain creeds.

Nothing personal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back