New Religious Observance of Christmas and ‘Holy Days’ in American Presbyterianism

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure He'd agree with you, Keon. I think it was a misunderstanding.

When I first read your statement, it could have been taken (wrongfully so) as saying Christmas was essential for the Reformed Church (i.e. the last of its strength still standing).

Now I know for sure that's NOT what you were saying. :D

I'm not so sure, Josh. I hold essentially the same view as Chris, but I thought it was ridiculous for a different reason. It implies that all other Reformed distinctives are lost and all that's left is a stand on Christmas. That seems to be pretty strange, as if to say if we waffle on this position, we have lost everything. Even the most hard-core RPW adherent knows there are bigger fish to fry than this.
That is exactly how I understood it, as it was the most important thing to defend, not the most important thing to fight. I suppose it might be read either way, but either way, it is hyperbolic as Vic notes. I commend to everyone who wants to get a sense of the literature on the subject of worship to get and read the sixty year survey of RPW literature in the 2006 and newly available 2007 issues of The Confessional Presbyterian journal. Get the v1 as well as it has great critical surveys of the anti RPW writings of Frame and Gore. All three available for #43 postage paid.;)

Yes, you are correct to note that John Frame and R.J. Gore's writings are anti-RPW, not a legitimate interpretation of the RPW. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back