New Resource of Augustine's Soteriology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles Johnson

Puritan Board Junior
Greetings brothers,

Having grown a bit frustrated with the lack of clear resources on what Augustine taught on Soteriology and the prevalence of misinformation (Augustine was basically a protestant? Basically a Roman Catholic? He taught justification by faith alone? He believed in transubstantiation?), I decided to collect quotes from him on all the major points of soteriology, doing my best not to misrepresent them. To be clear, this is by no means an endorsement of anything he taught where it is at odds with the Reformed Confessions. Read with caution.

- Charles

I don't think the following discusses the existence of purgatory. It isn't even at odds with the current teaching of the RCC if 'the grossest sin" is mortal.

Basically, those who remain in the Church but "live in the grossest sin and never either wash it away in penitence nor redeem it by
almsgiving" have no salvation.

Ahgfdjhydnnotation.png

It's the danger of not writing a systematic theology. He might have rejected Purgatory, but he wrote a treatise on Care for the Dead. And beliving in predestination isn't good enough. Anselm and Thomas Aquinas believed in it.

It's the old saying: "Protestants like him for his soteriology. Catholics like him for his ecclesiology."

It's the old saying: "Protestants like him for his soteriology. Catholics like him for his ecclesiology."
B.B. Warfield also said, "For the Reformation, inwardly considered, was just the ultimate triumph of Augustine's doctrine of grace over Augustine's doctrine of the Church."

I don't think the following discusses the existence of purgatory. It isn't even at odds with the current teaching of the RCC if 'the grossest sin" is mortal.

Basically, those who remain in the Church but "live in the grossest sin and never either wash it away in penitence nor redeem it by
almsgiving" have no salvation.
I would imagine that he has the purgatorial doctrine of the Greeks in mind, especially Origen. I don't think it's unfair to call that purgatory, since it 'purges'. I'll look more into whether he taught something like purgatory for lesser sins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back