New Star Trek Movie = AWESOME

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the movie showed Kirk suffering consequences for wrong action and then learning from those consequences, it would be totally different. Instead throughout the movie he is rewarded in spite of, or perhaps even because of (I am thinking of Pike's speech to Kirk in the bar in which Pike demeans others in the Federation and applauds Kirk's rebellious nature), his antinomianism. He is the only cadet on the Enterprise that was on probation from the academy and about to be expelled. Yet, Pike makes him the first officer and he later becomes the captain. Antinomianism does not have bad consequences. In fact, it is rewarded. And it is cool. At least according to the movie.

Kinda like Harry Potter, eh? Yea, you really do have a point. I enjoyed it anyway. Might have something to do with the fact that I go to about 1 or 2 movies a year, and hadn't even planned on seeing this one at the theaters. Still, the opening sequence was excellent, motivating and heroic.
Yeah, I thought that the opening sequence was excellent. I really liked the action and Kirk's dad's self-sacrifice (as well as the original captain's bravery). I did not get to see Harry Potter, so not sure what it is like.

-----Added 5/14/2009 at 08:07:52 EST-----

Some good points, but wasn't the entire second half of the movie about Logan tracking down the island fortress on which the general was located precisely so that he could have his revenge for the "death" of his wife/girl?
When he got there he did not do it. After the encounter with Stryker, he was going to just walk away until his girlfriend told him about the other mutants, whom he decided to rescue. Then, when he had the ultimate chance for revenge, killing Sabretooth, he did not do it. Sabretooth was even urging / daring him to give into the rage. He was tempted but resisted the temptation. It was a good scene. So we have the giving in to sin and then the fighting sin, both common experiences in the Christian life (not that this was intended to be Christian).

<SPOILER ALERT>

I saw the movie Tuesday and loved it, it was nice that it wasn't canon and a completely different time line. I read reviews a lot of places and people don't seem to realize it happens in a different universe and timeline.

But it is canon.

My observations with time travel in the Star Trek universe is that it seems to be very similar to time travel in the Marvel Universe:

Person A travels back in time 10 years. There is a certain 'window' of actions that Person A can do in that time line that won't affect it. Do too much, an incursion happens and the time line branches - the original time line continues and the now 'new' timeline also continues parallel to it with Person A now living in that time line instead of the original.

I kinda gathered that from 'Admiral Janeway' and Captain Janeway existing side by side in the same timeline in the last episode of Voyager ("I outrank you, captain!" :lol: )

Loved most of it. I have a real problem with their messing up the canon timeline. PM me if you want my opinion, as I don't want to spoil it for others who have yet to go see it.

I might be slow, but I just watched the film and it. was. awesome.

Apart from the nudity scenes, 1 other scene bothered me and that was when Captain Pike was being tortured and administered the slug that attaches to the brain stem.

Not Cool At All. Was a good thing I wasn't eating at that time.

The movie looks amazing, but I'm going to wait until it comes out on DVD so i can watch it on the ClearPlay. We have surround sound an a ginormous TV, so it will ALMOST be like a theater

The movie looks amazing, but I'm going to wait until it comes out on DVD so i can watch it on the ClearPlay. We have surround sound an a ginormous TV, so it will ALMOST be like a theater

Star Trek is definitely a movie theater movie :D

What is ClearPlay?

I enjoyed the movie. I have couple observations that may come across as criticisms:

--The whole whiteout color scheme on the new-old bridge was weak. I didn't like the cabin in the ship the Spock later piloted either. It may have been an homage to 2001 but it I didn't care for it.

--Now we get even geekier. When the early hype and excitement die down, fans are going to start wanting changes. Blowing up Romulus and Vulcan are not going to hold up with the fan base over time. Abrams was given a long leash but I think he will be forced to eventually restore the old time line. Some other chain of events due to this timeline is going to threaten Earth and "old" Spock will find it logical to intervene with a time travelling scheme. For example there is no way the Federation could defend itself against the Shapeshifters (DS9 stuff) from the Gamma Quadrant without the Romulans. What about the Borg? Not to mention the Federations loss of the snooty, yet mostly peacful and diplomatic Vulcans to stabilize things. I don't think it will work.

I enjoyed the movie. I have couple observations that may come across as criticisms:

--The whole whiteout color scheme on the new-old bridge was weak. I didn't like the cabin in the ship the Spock later piloted either. It may have been an homage to 2001 but it I didn't care for it.

--Now we get even geekier. When the early hype and excitement die down, fans are going to start wanting changes. Blowing up Romulus and Vulcan are not going to hold up with the fan base over time. Abrams was given a long leash but I think he will be forced to eventually restore the old time line. Some other chain of events due to this timeline is going to threaten Earth and "old" Spock will find it logical to intervene with a time travelling scheme. For example there is no way the Federation could defend itself against the Shapeshifters (DS9 stuff) from the Gamma Quadrant without the Romulans. What about the Borg? Not to mention the Federations loss of the snooty, yet mostly peacful and diplomatic Vulcans to stabilize things. I don't think it will work.

Geekier??? No after reading your paragraph, I don't think that it would be possible. :lol:

Just a couple of questions . . .

* Do you separate your M&Ms and Skittles by color before methodically eating them?
* How many times per day do you wash your hands?
* Do you make it a practice not to step on cracks in the sidewalk?

What is ClearPlay?

ClearPlay is a DVD player that filters through the unneeded content in movies (sexual stuff, language, etc.). You have to buy the machine, and then you download the movie filters online onto a USB stick that goes in the player. I'm not actually sure if it's sold in stores anymore-my family got ours @ Target, but it wasn't there the last time I went.

ClearPlay

What is ClearPlay?

ClearPlay is a DVD player that filters through the unneeded content in movies (sexual stuff, language, etc.). You have to buy the machine, and then you download the movie filters online onto a USB stick that goes in the player. I'm not actually sure if it's sold in stores anymore-my family got ours @ Target, but it wasn't there the last time I went.

ClearPlay

I figured they wouldn't have 'Crank' with Jason Statham. They'd pretty much have to censor the whole movie. :lol:

I was never into Star Trek growing up and only watched a handful of the movies, but I really enjoyed this new version. I hope they make more with the new crew...

The last time I went to a movie theatre was when Star Wars came out in May of '77, and I still have no intention of going back. However, since this does seem to be a movie with at least 3.6 ounces of kewlness, I'll purchase it on DVD when available.

Theognome

Join the dark side. Enter the dark theater full of Star Trek AWESOMENESS!

This movie will be much better enjoyed in theater -- a great movie either way -- but special effects and sound will be much more appreciated on the big screen. I greatly enjoyed the movie and look forward to the sequels.

-----Added 5/20/2009 at 08:24:43 EST-----

Just remember that new technology and knowledge (old Spock) have been inserted into this new time line that should help compensate ...

Geekier??? No after reading your paragraph, I don't think that it would be possible. :lol:

Just a couple of questions . . .

* Do you separate your M&Ms and Skittles by color before methodically eating them?
* How many times per day do you wash your hands?
* Do you make it a practice not to step on cracks in the sidewalk?

On the contrary, I am a recovering slob. :graduate: I have a knack for keeping the most trivial and meaningless things clear in my mind while jumbling the important things around. :drool:

What is ClearPlay?

ClearPlay

I figured they wouldn't have 'Crank' with Jason Statham. They'd pretty much have to censor the whole movie. :lol:

:lol: Yeah, probably not.

What is ClearPlay?

Okay, I submit to you that Star Trek is a theater movie. I went and saw it today-WOW! It was really cool!! I thought the casting was great, especially for Spock and McCoy. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back