New Systematic Theology Now Available for Pre-Orders

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
As of today (2/22/19), Reformed Systematic Theology: Volume 1: Revelation and God by Joel R. Beeke and Paul M. Smalley (Wheaton: Crossway, 2019), 1,312 pages, is available for pre-order here: www.heritagebooks.org/products/reformed-systematic-theology-volume-1-revelation-and-god-beeke-smalley.html

The volume (the first of 4) will be published at the end of March.

Did I mention that pre-orders are 50% off ($30) the retail price ($60), and that you can buy 3 copies for ($75)?

You know what to do.

Last edited:
This is a game changer. An easy to read ST for the modern age which draws from the reservoirs of Owen, Brakel, Calvin etc, very confessional. Written for lay people/leaders in mind. In a way, it is like an updated version of The Christian's Reasonable Service.

This is a game changer. An easy to read ST for the modern age which draws from the reservoirs of Owen, Brakel, Calvin etc, very confessional. Written for lay people/leaders in mind. In a way, it is like an updated version of The Christian's Reasonable Service.

Indeed, brother. In typical Beeke fashion, there are many great nuggets of Puritan quotes sprinkled all throughout. At the end of each section, there are review questions. This makes it a great resource for family and group studies.

Thanks for sharing. Does anyone know how many volumes the complete work is intended to be?

Done!

I also picked up a Reformation Heritage KJV Study Bible...

and...

A Christian Introduction to Religions of the World (Vos), A Loving Encouragement to Flee Worldliness (Beeke), Earnestness in Preaching (Springer), Evangelical Eloquence: A Course of Lectures on Preaching (Dabney), Foundations of the Sabbath in the Word of God (Warfield), Making Confession And Then...? (Hoogerland), The Intellectual Challenge of the Gospel (Van Til), The Main Points of the Doctrine of the Covenant (Schilder), The New Hermeneutic (Van Til), The Religious Life of Theological Students (Warfield), The Sovereignty of Grace (Van Til), The Westminster Confession and Creeds (Dabney), Toward A Reformed Apologetics (Van Til), and Your Ecumenical Task (Schilder).

Clearance is a dangerous thing.

By the way, just to whet your appetites: Beeke has said that, after his ST is complete, he wants to re-publish his Heidelberg Catechism sermons, which he published some years ago in five volumes (135 sermons!). I'm sure he'll want to read through them, update them (with some editing and re-writing, no doubt), and then publish them in hardback form (they were available as five spiral-bound volumes). But, that's not for awhile yet.

By the way, just to whet your appetites: Beeke has said that, after his ST is complete, he wants to re-publish his Heidelberg Catechism sermons, which he published some years ago in five volumes (135 sermons!). I'm sure he'll want to read through them, update them (with some editing and re-writing, no doubt), and then publish them in hardback form (they were available as five spiral-bound volumes). But, that's not for awhile yet.
That man is the Henry Ford if writing and publishing. I’ve never seen an author who cranks out so many works.

He's working on basically turning the classes he teaches into books. The Reformed Preaching book that just came out last year is basically what we take for Homiletics II here at the seminary. These systematics volumes are his systematics classes, etc...

He's working on basically turning the classes he teaches into books. The Reformed Preaching book that just came out last year is basically what we take for Homiletics II here at the seminary. These systematics volumes are his systematics classes, etc...
This.

From what Dr. Beeke told me, students were granted early access via Populi with an agreement to take down once the book is released. From there students will have to purchase it.
So what your saying is Dr. Beeke gave an sneak peek?:D

Last edited:

So would this be comparable to Grudem for accessibility, for people new to ST? Similar but more Presbyterian in doctrine?

Thanks for the post.

I can see this being his core published legacy: his volume on preaching, his four-volume systematic theology, and his volumes (however many) on the Heidelberg Catechism.

That man is the Henry Ford if writing and publishing. I’ve never seen an author who cranks out so many works.

The OT scholar Tremper Longman III was that way 10 or 15 years ago: a 3-volume commentary on the Psalms, a commentary on Job, 2 volumes (I think) on OT theology, etc.

I remember thinking: this guy's publishing like he's getting ready to retire.

Of a somewhat greater length than Grudem. I would definitely prefer Beeke's theology.

Yes, Grudem fails to make the grade in a couple of areas. But, in terms of sales, his is the most popular systematic theology to be published in the last 30 years, despite its length.

I think this ST is a great gateway to acquaint one to Calvin, Owen, Bavinck etc. It is ecumenical in that sense. For one who is acquainted with the above theologians, likewise it is great that Beeke brings them together in his ST.

It is a fabulous book for group study or lay teaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back