New translation of the Institutes of the Christian Religion announced, to be published by Crossway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike Marshall is a faithful distributer of Chapel Library publications in your city.
Yes he is - he just gave most of us at church a copy of the latest Free Grace Broadcaster yesterday (which is good, as usual). Also, he just retired from his day job on Friday, so is looking forward to having more time to spend serving the Lord in ways, I imagine, like this.

I read through Beveridge and have read portions of Norton, Allen, and Battles. I feel like any of them are quite serviceable and feel like trying to determine the "best one" is grasping at the wind.

Kind of like those people who tell you Constance Garnett is a terrible translator and you should go with Pevear and Volokhonsky. Millions of people got along just fine with Garnett, just like with Beveridge and the important thing is to actually read it rather than always waiting for the nebulous "best".

I always enjoyed Beveridge. Allen reads a bit woodenly I think. I enjoy none as much as Cipriano de Valera's translation into 16th century Castilian Spanish though. Valera was an artist with the pen, and that he did the Spanish bible too generates an incredible linguistic and stylistic unity between the projects.

Was this de Valera an ancestor of the southern Irish Prime Minister and President, Eamon de Valera? (Eamon de Valera was the only rebel leader at the time of the Easter Rising in 1916 who was not executed owing to being part-American.)

Was this de Valera an ancestor of the southern Irish Prime Minister and President, Eamon de Valera? (Eamon de Valera was the only rebel leader at the time of the Easter Rising in 1916 who was not executed owing to being part-American.)
I don't believe so. The de Valera that translated the bible was a Reformed Minister exiled to England and holding a professorship at Cambridge. So his descendants would be English Protestants. The Irish Prime Minister appears to be of more recent Spanish descent.
Coffee or tea? :)
Coffee.

I don't believe so. The de Valera that translated the bible was a Reformed Minister exiled to England and holding a professorship at Cambridge. So his descendants would be English Protestants. The Irish Prime Minister appears to be of more recent Spanish descent.

Looking at the Calendar of the Eamon de Valera papers held at UCD, I noticed that it has one folder containing, "Letters to de Valera from various individuals not connected with the de Valera family offering genealogical information on the de Valera family, including biographical details of Cipriano de Valera (1531−1602) ...". I recall a Spanish minister giving a talk on evangelism in Spain at my old RP church and he mentioned that Eamon de Valera was descended from a Spanish Protestant Reformer. I do not have any biographies of "The Long Fellow" to hand at the minute in order to verify it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back