New Year's Challenge - read through the Bible in 90 days!

New Year's Challenge! Read through the Bible in 90 Days

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

panta dokimazete

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
Ok, I am looking for folks to participate with me in a 90 Bible readthrough.

I have posted a tool on my blog and have already started, but we all know how the best laid plans can start with a bang and end with a whimper - :D - so here is the call!

Ultimately, I would love for this to be a quarterly recurring challenge and I plan to make the tool more and more "user friendly" to facilitate us 'Net oriented readers! :)

The spreadsheet is on GoogleDocs and I will be happy to share it with interested folks.

If you have any additional tools/suggestions/rants/raves, please post them here.

The idea :pray2: is for us to update this thread or comment on my blog regularly with our progress or struggles.

SDG!

Yikes...cannot do it this year. I'll be glad to be able to go through again in under a year, and that is even hard.

I want to try that at some point, this year, I want to "dig deep" I mean that I will be focusing on reading the Bible, slooooowly with a lot of Prayer and contemplation.:) But like I say the 90 days sounds interesting......in '09?;)

Absolutely, etx - and this is certainly not to be the replacement for regular bible study - :) - it is an enhancement, a stretch goal! :D

90 in '09! :lol:

I'm going to give it a shot! :)

Just finished up the first days reading.

Are we going to use this thread to discuss the passages (if anyone wants to discuss)? I would like to be able to share things or read what other people draw from the passages and encourage each other.

90 in 09!!!!! Wooohoooo, January through march of 09 sounds awesome....I just need a little prep time to clear my plate. A reading schedule and maybe a thread that starts when we start. See you in a year!

I think I would like to do it! But why is the first day checked off already? Has it already started??? It's not the first of the year!! :confused:

I'm going to give it a shot! :)

Just finished up the first days reading.

Are we going to use this thread to discuss the passages (if anyone wants to discuss)? I would like to be able to share things or read what other people draw from the passages and encourage each other.

absolutely, I figure this is a running thread for this year's challenge - any discussion will be excellent! :up:

and great work! :)

I think I would like to do it! But why is the first day checked off already? Has it already started??? It's not the first of the year!! :confused:

:lol: - knowing my nature for procrastinating and trying to plan ahead, I jumped on it to get a head start! :D

I know I will need it later on! :)

Welcome aboard! :up:

oh - just noticed that you can LISTEN to scripture on biblegateway.com - for the record - THAT COUNTS TOO! :D

We are a multimedia team! :lol:

I love that the readings start the alternation between Gen, Job and Matthew - an incredible juxtaposition...

Job 9:2b
But how can a man be in the right before God?

Just finished up day one.

Some random thoughts on the Genesis portion. I love that I'm no longer reading Genesis (or any part of the Bible) through dispensational glasses any longer. Praise be to God. How much of His grace we miss when we don't see how covenantal Genesis is. When God came to Adam and Eve after they fell and they knew they deserved to die on the spot, but yet He came with that marvelous covenant of grace promise in Genesis 3:15. What a gracious God! And then Adam responded in faith to God's promise by calling his wife Eve, the mother of the living. Genesis 4:25 really stood out to me because it showed how God raised up a righteous seed after Abel had died in order for the fulfillment of that wonderful covenantal promise in Genesis 3:15.

Some random thoughts on the Job portion. I'm always amazed at how well Job understood God's sovereignty in the first two chapters. I also paid particular attention to how some of what Eliphaz said was really true. Job 5:7, 17-18 in particular. He may not have been saying it with the right intentions or motives, but those verses are very true.

Some random thoughts on the Matthew portion. I love Matthew 1:21 - He shall save HIS people from their sins. I used to think that was strictly a reference to Israel. :banghead: How that verse became so much more precious to my heart once I saw it was his elect he was referring to.

Excellent observations - I just finished day 2 -and Noah - speaking of covenants! :)

You know, I was just thinking the same thing about the truth in Job...really helps us understand that though the "wisdom" of other faiths may contain truth statements, the foundation for understanding is deficient.

and in the NT - the Beatitudes!

Looking forward to tomorrow's reading and hearing what others observed from God's precious Word.

Thanks for this thread and the Bible reading chart, Brother! :handshake:

So did you create the calendar yourself?

no, indeed, David!

I noted the source on the blog post - there are so many excellent plans out there - I really wanted one that had some good alternation - fits my attention span! :D

And as I have noted, the alternation has some excellent juxtapositions - don't see how they could have been planned in detail by the chart organizer - I think it is the providential harmony of the texts shining through! :)

Last edited:
OK brother I am willing to try this. Can we have a new forum created that gives us the passages for that day when we log in?

What would help me would be if when I logged in I had a reminder of each days portion of scripture. Even if all that it was, was a forum that someone posted the texts for the day as the first post. Then as we read them we could offer comments as the Lord laid on our hearts.

What say you all?

PS Thanks for the challenge!!

How will you all be approaching the readings? All in one sitting? Three separate sittings at different times during the day?

How will you all be approaching the readings? All in one sitting? Three separate sittings at different times during the day?

I plan to hit all 3 at one time - thus far I can get through all 3 in about 30 minutes - even with a contemplative heart. :gpl: I also plan :pray2: to repeat the readings every quarter - again, as an enhancement to other, deeper studies I do throughout the year.:graduate:

You make a good point though, the format allows some flexibility, which is why I liked it so much!

Also - I just added a blank printable version to the post.

Last edited:
OK brother I am willing to try this. Can we have a new forum created that gives us the passages for that day when we log in?

hmm - I'd have to defer to one of the "great ones" to figure that one out and since this is a team effort, I'd say we could "open the floor" to have one of the team members post the daily reading threads as they are so moved - but I am open to suggestions. :)

What would help me would be if when I logged in I had a reminder of each days portion of scripture. Even if all that it was, was a forum that someone posted the texts for the day as the first post. Then as we read them we could offer comments as the Lord laid on our hearts.

What say you all?

I am wide open on that, brother!

PS Thanks for the challenge!!

Again, my pleasure and glad to have you on board! :handshake:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back