New Year's Challenge - read through the Bible in 90 days!

New Year's Challenge! Read through the Bible in 90 Days

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well...I finished Day 1. From the other comments it looks like that means I'm behind...even though this is Day 1. :(

I finished day 3 today, but I'll wait on you and pick back up on Friday so we can read through it at the same pace. It will be nice to read through with a fellow university student!

Could anyone else send me the email? I understand JD is in transit and may not have read my post with the corrected email.
Otherwise, I'll wait patiently...:(

Never mind...JD's all over it!

Last edited:
How is everybody doing? I am still reading ahead with the knowledge that there will be days I cannot read:

My highlights from day 4 -

Genesis:

"I will establish my covenant between me and you and your offspring after you throughout their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be God to you and to your offspring after you. 8And I will give to you and to your offspring after you the land of your sojournings, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession, and I will be their God."

"For I have chosen him"

Job:

25For I know that my Redeemer lives,
and at the last he will stand upon the earth.
26And after my skin has been thus destroyed,
yet in my flesh I shall see God,
27whom I shall see for myself,
and my eyes shall behold, and not another.

Matthew:

"I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you have hidden these things from the wise and understanding and revealed them to little children; 26yes, Father, for such was your gracious will. 27 All things have been handed over to me by my Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him. 28 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

Blessings to ya'll! :)

Well...I finished Day 1. From the other comments it looks like that means I'm behind...even though this is Day 1. :(

I finished day 3 today, but I'll wait on you and pick back up on Friday so we can read through it at the same pace. It will be nice to read through with a fellow university student!

Thanks, Taylor. :handshake:

Seriously, though, part of the fun and encouragement is knowing that you're reading the same thing at the same time with everyone else. I understand that jumping ahead can be helpful and a personal mental boost, but if everyone is jumping ahead at different paces then we aren't really doing it as a team. And I certainly can't discuss day 4 and 5, or what have you, which are several days ahead of schedule, when I'm merely on schedule. Staying on schedule would also provide for better discussion, in my opinion. :2cents:

Thanks, Taylor. :handshake:

Seriously, though, part of the fun and encouragement is knowing that you're reading the same thing at the same time with everyone else. I understand that jumping ahead can be helpful and a personal mental boost, but if everyone is jumping ahead at different paces then we aren't really doing it as a team. And I certainly can't discuss day 4 and 5, or what have you, which are several days ahead of schedule, when I'm merely on schedule. Staying on schedule would also provide for better discussion, in my opinion. :2cents:

Good point, David - from this point on, I will keep my highlights saved for the day they are relevant and welcome discussion on the particular daily reading.

Thanks for your observation! :handshake:

How's everyone doing? Lord willing, I'll pick up on day 4 tomorrow! :)

I've got the Matthew portion of day 4 that I'm going to read tomorrow. I slowed down a touch so I could keep on schedule with everyone else.

I hope everybody is truly being edified by the Word of the Lord as they read it for this new year. Let us encourage one another to remember to meditate upon what we read, and apply the biblical doctrines and principles to our daily lives.

SDG!

For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him. (Genesis 18:19)

I love this verse of Scripture. It inspires me to be a godly man and, if the Lord provides me with a family, to lead them in the ways of the Lord. Of course, that means I need to be diligent in learning more about the ways of the Lord myself! :book2:

What did others think of day 4?

See my day 4 highlights above :) - I am constantly blown away that God uses us broken vessels to accomplish His plan!

Roll-Call! (Team members also get this as a PM)

Barnpreacher; Beth Ellen Nagle; Blueridge Baptist; bygracealone; CarolinaCalvinist

D. Paul; Exagorazo; Kevin; MeanieCalvinist; Megaloo

Pilgrim's Progeny; reformedcop; slhuckstead; theologae; Timothy William; Zenas

how are ya'll doing?

Please update the thread for edification opportunities! That is to give/receive! :D

-JD

"How you have helped him who has no power! How you have saved the arm that has no strength! How you have counseled him who has no wisdom, and plentifully declared sound knowledge! With whose help have you uttered words, and whose breath has come out from you? The dead tremble under the waters and their inhabitants. Sheol is naked before God, and Abaddon has no covering. He stretches out the north over the void and hangs the earth on nothing. He binds up the waters in his thick clouds, and the cloud is not split open under them. He covers the face of the full moon and spreads over it his cloud. He has inscribed a circle on the face of the waters at the boundary between light and darkness. The pillars of heaven tremble and are astounded at his rebuke. By his power he stilled the sea; by his understanding he shattered Rahab. By his wind the heavens were made fair; his hand pierced the fleeing serpent. Behold, these are but the outskirts of his ways, and how small a whisper do we hear of him! But the thunder of his power who can understand?"
(Job 26:2-14)

I am getting through it. I am trying to put together a an iCal file that we can all use as well.

Seth

I have a quick question. I am a theology student, not a mathematician, so, on a calendar would you repeat the reading date every 90 days or every 91 days?

I have a few documents/files for the effort. The first is an ical file that can be imported into Google Cal and Apple's iCal (I am not sure about MS Outlook). Please inform me if there are any mistakes or changes. The iCal file may be localized to my Time Zone.

The second is a good old 2008 Calendar that can be used to cross out the daily effort.
View attachment 85

View attachment 86

I have a few documents/files for the effort. The first is an ical file that can be imported into Google Cal and Apple's iCal (I am not sure about MS Outlook). Please inform me if there are any mistakes or changes. The iCal file may be localized to my Time Zone.

The second is a good old 2008 Calendar that can be used to cross out the daily effort.
View attachment 85

View attachment 86

Cool! - how do you import the iCal into google?

Keep it up, everyone! Your doing great!

Where is the 'cheerleader' emoticon?

Lord, lengthen their days and show them how to redeem the time for the honor of your Word which You have magnified above your own name! :pray2:

I had to miss Thur & Fri due to looooooong work days but will pick back up this evening. PLUS, jd, you gave us permission to utilize audio resources so I've loaded the missed chapters onto my Palm Mp3 and listen on the road! It's still not quite like holding the Bible and reading especially since I just received the 1599 Geneva Bible. Now that's called incentive! The 1599 really is a worthy acheivement:sing::applause:

I had to miss Thur & Fri due to looooooong work days but will pick back up this evening. PLUS, jd, you gave us permission to utilize audio resources so I've loaded the missed chapters onto my Palm Mp3 and listen on the road! It's still not quite like holding the Bible and reading especially since I just received the 1599 Geneva Bible. Now that's called incentive! The 1599 really is a worthy acheivement:sing::applause:

cool!

everyone, keep up the good work - even those behind - we have confidence in your ability to persevere! :up: :)

Day 7

Genesis
Jacob Wrestles with God
22The same night he arose and took his two wives, his two female servants, and his eleven children, and crossed the ford of the Jabbok. 23He took them and sent them across the stream, and everything else that he had. 24And Jacob was left alone. And a man wrestled with him until the breaking of the day. 25When the man saw that he did not prevail against Jacob, he touched his hip socket, and Jacob’s hip was put out of joint as he wrestled with him. 26Then he said, "Let me go, for the day has broken." But Jacob said, "I will not let you go unless you bless me." 27And he said to him, "What is your name?" And he said, "Jacob." 28Then he said, "Your name shall no longer be called Jacob, but Israel, for you have striven with God and with men, and have prevailed." 29Then Jacob asked him, "Please tell me your name." But he said, "Why is it that you ask my name?" And there he blessed him. 30So Jacob called the name of the place Peniel, saying, "For I have seen God face to face, and yet my life has been delivered." 31The sun rose upon him as he passed Penuel, limping because of his hip. 32Therefore to this day the people of Israel do not eat the sinew of the thigh that is on the hip socket, because he touched the socket of Jacob’s hip on the sinew of the thigh.

Job 38

3 Dress for action like a man;

...good example of the Lord ordaining His means through prayer;

10And the LORD restored the fortunes of Job, when he had prayed for his friends.

Matthew

whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery."

what if the wife divorces the man?

the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.

Day 6

Obviously Issac learned his old man's tricks!

7When the men of the place asked him about his wife, he said, "She is my sister," for he feared to say, "My wife," thinking, "lest the men of the place should kill me because of Rebekah," because she was attractive in appearance. 8When he had been there a long time, Abimelech king of the Philistines looked out of a window and saw Isaac laughing with Rebekah his wife. 9So Abimelech called Isaac and said, "Behold, she is your wife. How then could you say, 'She is my sister'?" Isaac said to him, "Because I thought, 'Lest I die because of her.'" 10Abimelech said, "What is this you have done to us? One of the people might easily have lain with your wife, and you would have brought guilt upon us." 11So Abimelech warned all the people, saying, "Whoever touches this man or his wife shall surely be put to death."

A lot about wells and water - easy to see the life and death importance water played in those areas.

Interesting the actions that Jacob had to take to rightfully inherit the birthright Esau had forfeited. Anyone care to post on the ethics of this?

22Then God remembered Rachel, and God listened to her and opened her womb. 23She conceived and bore a son and said, "God has taken away my reproach." 24And she called his name Joseph, saying, "May the LORD add to me another son!"

Job - Elihu speaking:

8But it is the spirit in man,
the breath of the Almighty, that makes him understand.

Amen!

Then they understood that he did not tell them to beware of the leaven of bread, but of the teaching of the Pharisees and Sadducees.

Contrast
17"Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven. 18And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. 19I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

with

23But he turned and said to Peter, "Get behind me, Satan! You are a hindrance to me. For you are not setting your mind on the things of God, but on the things of man."

Interesting:

24 When they came to Capernaum, the collectors of the two-drachma tax went up to Peter and said, "Does your teacher not pay the tax?" 25He said, "Yes." And when he came into the house, Jesus spoke to him first, saying, "What do you think, Simon? From whom do kings of the earth take toll or tax? From their sons or from others?" 26And when he said, "From others," Jesus said to him, "Then the sons are free. 27However, not to give offense to them, go to the sea and cast a hook and take the first fish that comes up, and when you open its mouth you will find a shekel. Take that and give it to them for me and for yourself."

on humility...
4 Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

I'm also delving in to Joseph Caryl's Exposition on Job. One great thing leads to another!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back