New Zealand rushes world’s most extreme abortion law into law while country distracted with pandemic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen L Smith

Administrator
Staff member
The Right to Life organisation in the United Kingdom has an insightful article on a wicked law passed into law last night (NZ time).

"The new law will mean that New Zealand has the most extreme abortion law in the world, this will include:
  • Abortion will now be available on-demand, or any reason, up to birth
  • Sex-selective abortion will be legalised
  • The current 20-week limit for disability-selective abortion will be scrapped and abortion will be available up to birth for disabilities including cleft lip, club foot and Down syndrome.
  • There will be no requirement that a doctor must be involved with providing an abortion.
  • The will be no legal requirement that babies born alive are given medical support.
  • There will be no legal requirement that pain relief be given to babies being aborted between 20-weeks and birth.
  • There will be no legal restrictions on controversial methods of abortion such as intact dilation and extraction abortions (also knows as partial-birth abortions)."
I admit I am at a loss for words.

O LORD, I have heard the report of you,
and your work, O LORD, do I fear.
In the midst of the years revive it;
in the midst of the years make it known;
in wrath remember mercy.
Hab 3:2

Leave a live baby writhing in pain on a “botched” abortion attempt to die and nothing happens but charge $10 for a roll of TP and go to jail for price gouging.

Passing such murderous laws in the midst of Gods just wrath being poured out strikes me as particularly heinous.

Psalm 2:9–12 (KJV 1900):
9 Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron;
Thou shalt dash them in pieces like a potter’s vessel.
10 Be wise now therefore, O ye kings:
Be instructed, ye judges of the earth.
11 Serve the Lord with fear,
And rejoice with trembling.
12 Kiss the Son, lest he be angry,
And ye perish from the way,
When his wrath is kindled but a little.
Blessed are all they that put their trust in him.

Sadly, we have to remind ourselves not to fall into the trap of thinking, even in the midst of our horror at such extremism, that things cannot get any worse. The sad reality is that the logic that these people employ will mean that they will eventually be pushing for the legalisation of post-birth infanticide.

Be astonished, oh ye heavens! How could a nation sin so daringly in the midst of a worldwide judgment?

But even in Revelation the scorching heat came and the heavy stones fell from heaven, and men did not repent but blasphemed instead.

Dear Brother @Stephen L Smith I pray God gives you grace to live in such a wicked place.

Passing such murderous laws in the midst of Gods just wrath being poured out strikes me as particularly heinous.

Psalm 2:9–12 (KJV 1900):
9 Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron;
Thou shalt dash them in pieces like a potter’s vessel.
10 Be wise now therefore, O ye kings:
Be instructed, ye judges of the earth.
11 Serve the Lord with fear,
And rejoice with trembling.
12 Kiss the Son, lest he be angry,
And ye perish from the way,
When his wrath is kindled but a little.
Blessed are all they that put their trust in him.
I don't speculate on what's going on as being God's wrath, he doesn't talk to me about his plans. But those laws are horrible. Whether God's judging us or not is irrelevant to them being morally wrong and evil.

Be astonished, oh ye heavens! How could a nation sin so daringly in the midst of a worldwide judgment?

But even in Revelation the scorching heat came and the heavy stones fell from heaven, and men did not repent but blasphemed instead.

Dear Brother @Stephen L Smith I pray God gives you grace to live in such a wicked place.
How do you know it's world wide judgment? At anytime in history a similar thing could happen and people would be justified in saying "it's God's judgment for x, y, and z".

How do you know it's world wide judgment? At anytime in history a similar thing could happen and people would be justified in saying "it's God's judgment for x, y, and z".

This will take us off topic. For now in this thread, better to simply mourn and weep, and pray for God to bring NZ and other nations to repentance before their iniquity is full.

The Right to Life organisation in the United Kingdom has an insightful article on a wicked law passed into law last night (NZ time).

"The new law will mean that New Zealand has the most extreme abortion law in the world, this will include:
  • Abortion will now be available on-demand, or any reason, up to birth
  • Sex-selective abortion will be legalised
  • The current 20-week limit for disability-selective abortion will be scrapped and abortion will be available up to birth for disabilities including cleft lip, club foot and Down syndrome.
  • There will be no requirement that a doctor must be involved with providing an abortion.
  • The will be no legal requirement that babies born alive are given medical support.
  • There will be no legal requirement that pain relief be given to babies being aborted between 20-weeks and birth.
  • There will be no legal restrictions on controversial methods of abortion such as intact dilation and extraction abortions (also knows as partial-birth abortions)."
I admit I am at a loss for words.

O LORD, I have heard the report of you,
and your work, O LORD, do I fear.
In the midst of the years revive it;
in the midst of the years make it known;
in wrath remember mercy.
Hab 3:2
May the Lord use even this virus to bring these wicked men down to the dust, and to exalt his people in New Zealand.

Psalm 109:6-16
6. Set thou a wicked man over him: and let Satan stand at his right hand.
7. When he shall be judged, let him be condemned: and let his prayer become sin.
8. Let his days be few; and let another take his office.
9. Let his children be fatherless, and his wife a widow.
10. Let his children be continually vagabonds, and beg: let them seek their bread also out of their desolate places.
11. Let the extortioner catch all that he hath; and let the strangers spoil his labour.
12. Let there be none to extend mercy unto him: neither let there be any to favour his fatherless children.
13. Let his posterity be cut off; and in the generation following let their name be blotted out.
14. Let the iniquity of his fathers be remembered with the Lord; and let not the sin of his mother be blotted out.
15. Let them be before the Lord continually, that he may cut off the memory of them from the earth.
16. Because that he remembered not to shew mercy, but persecuted the poor and needy man, that he might even slay the broken in heart.

This will take us off topic. For now in this thread, better to simply mourn and weep, and pray for God to bring NZ and other nations to repentance before their iniquity is full.
Fair enough. But let's stick to calling evil evil and not speculate on current affairs being God's wrath. Those laws are evil and disgusting nothing more needs to be said.

Yesterday while our federal government was trying to hammer out a budget to help people and business affected by the virus, the democrats were trying to attach more money for Planned Parenthood to the bill. Disgusting.

I am truly sorry to read your post.

Why on earth would anybody think this virus is not God's wrath? That is certainly NOT the position the great Puritan Burroughs took on plagues, if you ever read The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment. He lost 11 children in his life. I am trying to repent and confess the sins of my nation regularly. I expect more wrath than this virus down the pike.

Yesterday while our federal government was trying to hammer out a budget to help people and business affected by the virus, the democrats were trying to attach more money for Planned Parenthood to the bill. Disgusting.

I am truly sorry to read your post.

Why on earth would anybody think this virus is not God's wrath? That is certainly NOT the position the great Puritan Burroughs took on plagues, if you ever read The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment. He lost 11 children in his life. I am trying to repent and confess the sins of my nation regularly. I expect more wrath than this virus down the pike.
Sorry about what? Are you sorry that I call evil evil or that I don't speculate on things going on as being judgements that none of us can know. And yes I regect the puritans on this matter. God's buissnes is God's buissnes, not mine. Since neither one of us is a prophet, let's simply call evil evil and keep our hands clean.

Sorry about what? Are you sorry that I call evil evil or that I don't speculate on things going on as being judgements that none of us can know. And yes I regect the puritans on this matter. God's buissnes is God's buissnes, not mine. Since neither one of us is a prophet, let's simply call evil evil and keep our hands clean.
Jamey,
Your understanding would prevent us from ever being able to discern the chastening hand of God in our lives, or any of his dealings with us through external means. The scriptures clearly teach that we can discern when we are enduring chastening, etc.

You have a weak doctrine of the special providence of God. That's pandemic for modern American Reformed folks, but it wasn't true of our forebears.

Jamey,
Your understanding would prevent us from ever being able to discern the chastening hand of God in our lives, or any of his dealings with us through external means. The scriptures clearly teach that we can discern when we are enduring chastening, etc.

You have a weak doctrine of the special providence of God. That's pandemic for modern American Reformed folks, but it wasn't true of our forebears.
Scripture teaches that Israel could discern it through prophetic insight. It also teaches that God judge's when and where he pleases. But let's a step back, could God be judging America for it's rampant sins, possibly. But what about all the other nations being afflicted? Regardless that law is evil and impractical because it only benefits people with loose Morales.

Scripture teaches that Israel could discern it through prophetic insight. It also teaches that God judge's when and where he pleases. But let's a step back, could God be judging America for it's rampant sins, possibly. But what about all the other nations being afflicted? Regardless that law is evil and impractical because it only benefits people with loose Morales.
Hebrews 12:5-8
5. And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him: 6. For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. 7. If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not? 8. But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.

This passage is of no value whatsoever if we can't discern when the Lord is chastening us.

Hebrews 12:5-8
5. And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him: 6. For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. 7. If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not? 8. But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.

This passage is of no value whatsoever if we can't discern when the Lord is chastening us.
Ok. First the author of Hebrews is speaking in general terms to individuals, not nations (that's a false analogy). Plus his whole argument is based on a general notion, that God chastises his children, not that he chastises particular individuals for things that we can discern and particular people being able to discern God's will.

Ok. First the author of Hebrews is speaking in general terms to individuals, not nations (that's a false analogy). Plus his whole argument is based on a general notion, that God chastises his children, not that he chastises particular individuals for things that we can discern and particular people being able to discern God's will.

If you want to debate this topic, start a new thread. This isn't the place for it. Instead, let us mourn for such wickedness and offer up prayers in this thread.

The request has been made at least twice I think to not go down this sidetrack here. If folks will pursue this in an edifying manner, start a new thread and a moderator can split these posts out to merge. Pausing for folks to catch up.

I am taking a moderator privilege but just a note to say thank you for the encouragement and prayers. I grieve at the bad spiritual state of my country and equally realise all Western nations are facing similar challenges.

I mentioned Iain Murray's fine book "Martyn Lloyd-Jones: messenger of grace" a couple of weeks ago. That book mentioned that one of Dr Lloyd-Jones legacies was arguing that the state of a nation can be determined by looking at the state of the church. My point is this - let us pray for a solid Reformation of the church across the world.

In another recent post I said:
Food for thought: Across the top of the Reformation wall, the motto of the Genevan reformation is etched for all to read "Post tenebras lux" - "after darkness light". Calvin's preaching was highly instrument in bringing light to a spiritually darkened age.
How true that is today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back