Newest Issue of Table Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marrow Man

Drunk with Powder
I got around to looking at the latest issue of Table Talk today (the June issue I believe). The theme is the Sabbath. Having heard Dr. Sproul speak about this before (and knowing that I disagreed with him), I figured I would be disappointed. The first half of the issue presents four different views of the Sabbath from different authors (Dr. Joey Pipa does the article on the Puritan view and Dr. Craig Blomberg does the one on the "fulfilled" view). I was sort of surprised, however, that the first of these articles was by someone who held to a "Seventh Day Sabbath" view (I did not know that really existed outside of the SDA movement).

But the really disappoint thing was Dr. Sproul's article. He repeats the "Calvin bowled on the Sabbath" story. He does qualify it as saying it might be apocryphal and using the words "if true." But he uses the story to bolster his own view, even though there is no documentation to support the story, and even though our own Chris Coldwell has shown the speculative nature of the story.

The Calvin bowling article has been out for I think about 13 years. It was Sproul's repeating the story in his 3 volume work on the Confession that convinced me to formally publish it with some updates in last year's Confessional Presbyterian.
I expect it will still be repeated long after we are all gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back