News Flash: I'm not a human....I'm a chicken. How do I get a DNA transplant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

O'GodHowGreatThouArt

Puritan Board Sophomore
Since around the age of 8, I have had a deathly fear of bees and wasps. A bumblebee stung me in the back of the ear then, and about a year later, a wasp nailed me in the forearm in cold blood.

Tonight, I met my fear....again. I was sitting at my desk talking with some friends online, when a bee swooped by my computer screen. I ran outside my room, then came back in when it seemed like there was no sign of it. Five minutes when by, then I hear two distinct "thuds" on the fan. A couple minutes later, I found a bee on the carpet, severely injured. I went over to my stack of copy paper, picked up one, climbed over my bed, and dropped it on the bee from 3 feet up. Nailed it.

I didn't trust that was it though, so I picked up four highlighters and started throwing them at the corner of my desk where I last saw the bee from my doorway. Nothing. Went back to the desk, thinking the one that was taken out was the only one. Told one of my friends about it, and actually said I was going to cry if a second one showed up (testament as to how terrified I was in hindsight). Not five minutes later, the bee I thought I took out flew by the back of my desk. Turns out it was intruder #2.

I skipped town and had to call my brother in to take it out. Let's just say my cowardice is going to be the brunt of the family joking book for the next "Insert long number here" years. The fact that they aren't saved doesn't make it any easier either, but that's beyond the point.

This kind of attitude towards such a sitaution cannot be biblical by any stretch of the imagination, because it is placing the implication that I am not trusting God in all things, and that I'm not willing to deal with a situation myself when it can be dealt without assistance. Not to mention its saying that a creature the size of my pinkie toe is able to rule the life of something 500x its size.

My fear of these things is controlling my life in these regards. Put a bee in my office in a workplace, and I'll never get anything done until it is exterminated. It's been at the point for many years now where all a bee has to do is glance at me, and I'll drop everything and dash off as fast as I possibly can in the other direction....preferably towards a place they can't get to easily.

My question is, how can such an issue be dealt with?

If you insert "spider" where you wrote bee, I have the exact same problem. Supposedly a psycologist can desensitize you to your fear in a one-day session. I've thought about doing that, but that would mean having to look at spiders, and I don't think I could do that.

I just recognize that I have an irrational fear and tell people I know it's irrational. But I cannot change the physical reaction I have when I see a spider. Something inside my left ear rattles, I freeze for a second, then all I can do is run. When I'm the only adult home and have to kill a spider to keep it away from my young son, I wrap myself up, arm myself with weapons for the kill, and yell my prayers to God for strength until the spider is dead. I don't let myself think until it's over, and then I sit down for a good shudder.

Simple. Get a shotgun. At first sight of the little intruder, spray a few rounds in the general vicinity. Accuracy is not your big concern here. Just keep em coming till you don't hear any buzzing as you reload. Even if you miss you should still get the point across that they are not welcome in your house.

Also, you may want to reconsider your allegiance to GA Tech. ;)

As a last resort, you could always put statues and relics of TimV around your property.

:lol:

I just literally walked in from moving 8 hives, or 200,000 bees into a raspberry farm for pollination.

My recommendation would be 100 pushups every night for 6 months, or even better join a gym. It's easier to be brave when you're feeling confident.

Here's how I exposed my kids. This is David about 5 years ago:

original.jpg

Bryan, are you allergic to bee stings? If yes, then I think your fear is healthy and you genuinely should do everything in your power to get away from them so as not to get stung. However, if you're not allergic, then what is the worst that could happen if you get stung? Sure it will hurt a bit, but you can handle it. Besides, isn't it true that the bee dies once it stings someone? Tim???

Yes! They get the worst of the deal. Only about 30 people in the US die each year from combined insect stings. The chances of anything really bad happening are vanishingly small. Also, the poison in a bee sting dissolves uric acid crystals, which is why beekeepers never get arthritis, and there are other benefits as well.

However, if you're not allergic, then what is the worst that could happen if you get stung? Sure it will hurt a bit, but you can handle it.

This is logical, but if his fear is anything like mine, it doesn't matter. Logic doesn't work. I know a tiny spider on my wall can't hurt me, but I feel like throwing up just thinking about it. Hmm . . . maybe I should see a psychologist . . .

I wrap myself up, arm myself with weapons for the kill, and yell my prayers to God for strength until the spider is dead. I don't let myself think until it's over

:wow: you are stronger than me - with spiders, if I'm alone in the house, I use the tumbler-and-card method to trap it, then take it 100 yards along the road before releasing it. Anything's better than actually squishing one, and having to feel (maybe even hear) the squish. Don't want to go there.
With a wasp though I reach for my favourite whippy fly-swatter and pursue it to the death,.. then cut another notch in the handle.

Bees are different! Bees are cute. They're even furry! If a bee is looking tired I'll put down a teeny amount of honey and water for it,.. they love that, and when it's refreshed itself I help it on its way outside.
Since around the age of 8, I have had a deathly fear of bees and wasps.
maybe it would help a little if you mentally differentiate?
Remember, a wasp will sting just for the fun of it or from pure spite, then go on its merry way looking for fresh victims. Not so the little furry guy, who only stings in a heroic act of self-immolation, and as a last resort to save his family :violin:

Not allergic, though I think it would be fair to compare my fear to Kim's fear of spiders. It's just one of those things that you simply do not go after.

Now if only I could pick up my fear of bees and force it over to apply to sexual sins, then we would be in business. :)

I hear an old home remedy for arthritis was taking bee stingers and injecting finger joints with them.

I used to be terrified of bees and wasps growing up. Then one summer I was in Tyler, TX visiting my grandfather, lung cancer sanitarium, and there were roses outside. Naturally the bees were flying around and the wasps as well. This older man looked over at me and saw that I was scared and said to me, Boy, bees smell fear. You don't show them no fear and they'll leave you alone. He then told me to smack out of the air the one that was nearest me. I did and the bee flew away. Ever since then bees, wasps, etc. have never bugged me. Up here in Alaska we have a really bad wasp problem some years. While everyone else is out running and flailing their arms I just walk on by and smack an occasional annoyer out of the air. They apparently tell their friends because after that they leave me alone. Worst that can happen is that you get stung. Best that can happen is they leave you alone.

My mom however is completely the opposite. One summer afternoon in Texas, I was sitting in the kitchen watching my mom weed her herb garden. I then see her hand wave above her head as if swatting something. This was my cue to go get some tea for the upcoming show. Next I heard a little shriek through the screen door. This attracted my sister who asked what was going on. I pointed out to the garden where mom was shooing more bees. Bees love my mother. They think she's a ton of fun. My sister seeing that some fun was about to begin, got some tea and joined me. For the next 5 minutes we watched our mom shew off some bees and shriek a bit. As she continued this more bees realized that my mom was outside and decided to express their love and admiration. In person, up close. My mother never has understood why the bees love her so much. Finally having enough of their interest, she ran screaming to the house waving her hands over her head like an escaped mental patient. (We had one of those in our family. My mother's grandmother I think.) Right as she reached the sliding glass door at the back of the house I leaned forward and locked it and then waved. She then veered left to the open garage door and came running into the kitchen to see her two children laughing hysterically at her. What she said next would make a sailor blush. For those who feel sorry for my mom, she made us go outside, finish the weeding, and *shudder* cut globe amaranths. Cutting globe amaranths was the worst punishment she could give. When my dad got home and heard her tale of woe, I thought we'd be in more trouble. Turns out, she punched him in the arm because he busted out laughing.

Last edited:
Right as she reached the sliding glass door at the back of the house I leaned forward and locked it and then waved.

Dude, I thought my sense of humor was twisted...

They know the worst that can happen is you get stung, and getting stung is good for MOST people. Dissolves uric acid crystals and all that... Besides, kids naturally think small risks are fun if they're exposed to nature.

Tim, I carried an epi pen for years and though the allergy has subsided a bit (I swell magnificently when stung, but no longer am short of breath after a sting) I look on your photos with pure horror. Thanks, brother.

I've never heard they're good for gout. That's more a change your diet thing :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back