NFL Season To begin. Is this a 4th commandment issue?

Is watching NFL football a violation of the 4th commandment?

• Yes, and here is why....

Votes: 30 68.2%
  • No, and here is why...

Votes: 14 31.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
In answer to the cooking question, works of necessity and mercy are clearly permitted. I think we have to be careful about what we push off (making it necessary) since we have been instructed to labor for six days. I think we also have to be careful about Pharisaical hair splitting since that almost always leads to a "well, I only walked 280 steps today so I've obeyed the law -- aren't I great?"

For what it's worth, here's our general practice. We divide up our general work (whether for employment or around the house) so we don't end up with too much in one day. By Saturday, we do a quick clean up and prepare as much of the Lord's Day food as we can, make sure the cars are gassed up, and that the little kids' clothes are out and ready.

On Sunday we attend whatever is planned at our church -- the morning service is constant, the schedule differs some on other services. We love the opportunity for fellowship! I'm trying to spend as much time as I can in Bible study or reading books that further my faith, and reducing the time I just spend snoozing. I generally glance at e-mail and the national fire situation report since I could be called out at any time for fire duty; I enjoy spending some time with my PB buds!

In the Puritan era, I think folks viewed 3:30 p.m. Saturday as the start of the Lord's Day. In an agricultural society, that meant the animals could be cared for without undue stress .... I do believe we are given some flexibility as long as we are meeting the general principles. It seems that Christ was very specific on the law, but when it came to the Sabbath, he avoided being trapped into the nitty gritty. I think this has led to the fourth commandment being abandoned, when that wasn't the intention at all!

While what we understand of the law must come from scripture, my appreciation for the Sabbath has been deepened by my experience working with wildfire where you end up working 14-16 hour days right through Sunday. I can see the effects physically, spiritually, emotionally -- in every way. In engineer-speak, this greatly exceeds design specifications!!!

If you are avoiding watching football because you are "causing people to work," then there are a whole host of activities that cannot be done on Sunday for the same reason.

Watching T.V. at all or listening to the radio, gas stations, grocery stores. Beyond this there are many people behind the scene that keep society running that we don't even know about. It is impossible for everyone to completely stop and do nothing on Sunday. If they did we would quickly notice why we do need people to work on Sunday.

Watching T.V. at all or listening to the radio, gas stations, grocery stores.

Yes, these are all things that ordinarily should not be done on the Sabbath. Preparing for this in advance ordinarily makes these things not necessary so that one can focus on God all day without undue distraction.

Beyond this there are many people behind the scene that keep society running that we don't even know about. It is impossible for everyone to completely stop and do nothing on Sunday. If they did we would quickly notice why we do need people to work on Sunday.

God knew everything when He made the Fourth Commandment.

It's not a matter of doing nothing on Sunday.

It is a matter of focusing on worship of God all the day.

God is gracious in that He provides exceptions for works of mercy and necessity. Ordinarily, the Lord's Day is not to be taken by the ordinary activities of the rest of the week. By implication, it seems we should not cause others to sin and violate this. There is a charge given to business owners and heads of family with regard to this in Exodus.

The doctrine of the Westminster Confession and London Baptist Confession summarize Scripture as saying that work and recreation, ordinarily are not to be done on the Lord's Day so we can focus on worship of God all day. They say we are to prepare in advance so that these ordinary activities will not distract us from focused worship and resting from the activities we do the rest of the week.

It seems to me if we run a video recorder for a Sunday football game (before sundown in my understanding) we are causing people to work to entertain us on the Sabbath. There is no mercy or necessity exception here.

Delving into the minutia of what is and what isn't permissible isn't very helpful. Just by asking the question and getting the answer binds the conscience in such a way as was not intended by this commandment, especially when our obedience to the command is based upon Christ's righteousness and not our own. One simply needs to consider the Pharisees to see the logical conclusion of making lists or asserting do's and don'ts. And didn't our Lord chastise them? Jesus and His disciples were not breaking the Sabbath laws, but the Pharisees thought they were. The Pharisees had their list of do's and don'ts, but obviously, the perfect lawgiver and the only One who obeys perfectly saw it differently.

Ask yourself this: If you disapprove watching TV on the Lord's Day, but you do approve of asking a visitor at your church what they do for a living and they explain it in fairly good detail - have you broken the sabbath and caused someone else to break it as well? Good intentions do not cut it. We break the Sabbath every Lord's Day in thought, word, and deed. Dr. Pipa writes that he attempts to not do certain things on the Lord's Day but sometimes they're necessary, i.e., eating in a hotel restaurant. In certain circumstances, this is permissible, but not others.

Who are we to judge? Well, in the end, it is a clean conscience before the Lord that is at the heart of the issue. Dr. Pipa's conscience is clean when it comes to things like that because he believes it is necessary and permissible. And his conscience should be. But John Murray, for one, didn't think so. Who's right?

The Lord of the conscience is right! And, before all of you jump on me, I am not relegating the Lord's Day to adiaphora, because I don't think it is. But in the end, the conscience must be what we appeal to. We can't make a list, because we will not all agree on that list. We shouldn't make a list (even Pipa says that) because it relegates us to Pharisees.

In the end, it is not by listing or keeping that we stand, it is by faith. Further, although Paul was talking about his first whole letter to the Corinthian church that made him stay away from Corinth (because he didn't wish to break their spirits with harsh words), I believe there is wisdom there for us all. If we make lists of do's and don'ts we may make others around us sorrowful because they simply do not have the same convictions, how can we joy in that? Perhaps the very same people we convict by our lists secretly have a hard time loving us because they are just being obedient out of guilt and not out of true heartfelt obedience.

Teaching about the Sabbath is what we should be about. And, if questions about what is permissible and what isn't arise, we should answer that question with a question: Are you prepared to have your conscience bound by what I believe? The WCF doesn't go into the minutia because, I believe, they weren't supposed to. Even if they tried, there was probably difference of opinion and latitude. We should trust the Holy Spirit enough to do His work through His own Word and not try to crush the bruised reed with convictions too heavy to bear, especially IF some of these convictions are not agreed upon by all.

I am not taking an exception to the WCF standards on the Sabbath. What I do take exception with is binding another's conscience with lists the Bible does not enumerate, nor could it, nor, In my humble opinion, should we.

In Christ,

KC

This thread could go on forever..for example, should the PB be shut down completely on Lord's Days rather than just citing the 4th commandment at the top? Is the PB causing men to stumble because it is left up on Lord's Days? Is responding to someone who posted on a Lord's Day actually acknowledging that it is OK to visit the PB on Sunday's?

This is interesting. I would think that Puritan Board discussions (after church) are a great way to meditate on the Lord. Not only that, but a great way to fellowship with brethren. Granted, I don't think it should take the place of church, but in no way can I see it was a 4th Commandment Violation. I'd be interested in the arguments of those would think otherwise. What is the violation?

Of course, this assumes that we don't link to any football scores ;) Actually, I'm undecided on that...

This is interesting. I would think that Puritan Board discussions (after church) are a great way to meditate on the Lord. Not only that, but a great way to fellowship with brethren. Granted, I don't think it should take the place of church, but in no way can I see it was a 4th Commandment Violation. I'd be interested in the arguments of those would think otherwise. What is the violation?

Of course, this assumes that we don't link to any football scores ;) Actually, I'm undecided on that...

I agree with your assessment of the use of the PB for edification on things of God during Lord's day. My overall point, however, was that the whole football discussion misses the point of the Sabbath discussion and that if carried to its logical conclusion could potentially prevent almost any activity. The Sabbath is for the Lord and how that is worked out must first be the object of discussion here, In my humble opinion, rather than looking at any particular activity such as watching football.

True. I think it becomes a questionable practice if we try to make the sabbath a burden rather than a blessing. Laying down on the couch with a TV turned on (and usually falling asleep) is hardly "seeking pleasure". (Now planning a football party might be an issue.)

How hard should we "work" on the sabbath to avoid pleasure?

Laying down on the couch with a TV turned on (and usually falling asleep) is hardly "seeking pleasure".

I realize this is difficult to keep and understand the "greater" points related to keeping the Sabbath. However, by God's grace, obedience involves thought, word and deed.

Westminster Larger Catechism
Question 117: How is the sabbath or the Lord's day to be sanctified?

Answer: The sabbath or Lord's day is to be sanctified by an holy resting all the day, not only from such works as are at all times sinful, but even from such worldly employments and recreations as are on other days lawful; and making it our delight to spend the whole time (except so much of it as is to betaken up in works of necessity and mercy) in the public and private exercises of God's worship: and, to that end, we are to prepare our hearts, and with such foresight, diligence, and moderation, to dispose and seasonably dispatch our worldly business, that we may be the more free and fit for the duties of that day.

The WCF doesn't go into the minutia because, I believe, they weren't supposed to. Even if they tried, there was probably difference of opinion and latitude.
WCF 21.8. VIII. This Sabbath is to be kept holy unto the Lord when men, after a due preparing of their hearts, and ordering of their common affairs beforehand, do not only observe an holy rest all the day from their own works, words, and thoughts about their worldly employments and recreations; but also are taken up the whole time in the public and private exercises of his worship, and in the duties of necessity and mercy.
LC 117: How is the sabbath or the Lord's day to be sanctified?
Answer: The sabbath or Lord's day is to be sanctified by an holy resting all the day, not only from such works as are at all times sinful, but even from such worldly employments and recreations as are on other days lawful; and making it our delight to spend the whole time (except so much of it as is to betaken up in works of necessity and mercy) in the public and private exercises of God's worship: and, to that end, we are to prepare our hearts, and with such foresight, diligence, and moderation, to dispose and seasonably dispatch our worldly business, that we may be the more free and fit for the duties of that day.
Question 119: What are the sins forbidden in the fourth commandment?
Answer: The sins forbidden in the fourth commandment are, all omissions of the duties required, all careless, negligent, and unprofitable performing of them, and being weary of them; all profaning the day by idleness, and doing that which is in itself sinful; and by all needless works, words, and thoughts, about our worldly employments and recreations.
Kevin,
What need for lists? :confused:

Well we know that the WCF is against it but it always make me think of how Jesus went out of his way to do things on the Sabbath just to get under the Pharisees skin and in this way bring up a point, the Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.

Matthew 12

Jesus Is Lord of the Sabbath
1At that time£Jesus went through the grainfields on the Sabbath. His disciples were hungry, and they began to pluck heads of grain and to eat. 2But when the Pharisees saw it, they said to him, “Look, your disciples are doing what is not lawful to do on the Sabbath.” 3He said to them, “Have you not read what David did when he was hungry, and those who were with him: 4how he entered the house of God and ate the bread of the Presence, which it was not lawful for him to eat nor for those who were with him, but only for the priests? 5Or have you not read in the Law how on the Sabbath the priests in the temple profane the Sabbath and are guiltless? 6I tell you, something greater than the temple is here. 7And if you had known what this means,£‘I desire mercy, and not sacrifice,’ you would not have condemned the guiltless. 8For the Son of Man is lord of the Sabbath.”

A Man with a Withered Hand
9He went on from there and£entered their synagogue. 10And a man was there with a withered hand. And they asked him, “Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath?”—so that they might accuse him. 11He said to them, “Which one of you who has a sheep, if it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will not take hold of it and lift it out? 12Of how much more value is a man than a sheep! So it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath.” 13Then he said to the man, “Stretch out your hand.” And the man stretched it out, and it was restored, healthy like the other. 14But the Pharisees went out and conspired against him, how to destroy him.

Luke 13:10
A Woman with a Disabling Spirit
10Now he was teaching in one of the synagogues on the Sabbath. 11And there was a woman who had had a disabling spirit for eighteen years. She was bent over and could not fully straighten herself. 12When Jesus saw her, he called her over and said to her, “Woman, you are freed from your disability.” 13And he laid his hands on her, and immediately she was made straight, and she glorified God. 14But the ruler of the synagogue, indignant because Jesus had healed on the Sabbath, said to the people, “There are six days in which work ought to be done. Come on those days and be healed, and not on the Sabbath day.” 15Then the Lord answered him, “You hypocrites! Does not each of you on the Sabbath untie his ox or his donkey from the manger and lead it away to water it? 16And ought not this woman, a daughter of Abraham whom Satan bound for eighteen years, be loosed from this bond on the Sabbath day?” 17As he said these things, all his adversaries were put to shame, and all the people rejoiced at all the glorious things that were done by him.

The Jewish notion of how they followed the Sabbath came mostly from the extra laws they added to those given to them by God and I think we should be careful to no do the same thing. All the talk of how to avoid doing different activities on the Sabbath even to the point of not watching T.V. reminds me of the Jews adding things to their law. I guess motive is the important thing, why are we avoiding all activity on the Sabbath? And is it what God had in mind? The Jews thought they had it right but in the end missed the point of the Sabbath. :2cents:

Eric,
Are you suggesting that it is only possible to err by "remembering" the Sabbath too much? That seemed to be the principal failure of Jesus' earthly days: legalistic, fastidious rule-making. But you know, Jesus paid even them a backhanded compliment when he said (regarding "tithing" of mint and cummin), "You should have done the former without neglecting the latter!"

But we know from places in the Old Testament that the neglect of the Day was more often the predominant sin in those days; so, not-remembering is certainly an easy trap to fall into, it seems to me.

What would you say is the more prevalent sin in the world today regarding the 4th? Is it "remembered" too much? Really?

Can you "remember" the God-oriented purpose of the day, making him your consuming passion (when not doing deeds of necessity and mercy, or getting a little rest), if you are absorbed in something like sports contests or escapist fantasy?

The Sabbath was given to us as a blessing (the Sabbath was made for man); indeed we weren't created to give God creatures to bless him on that day (not man for the Sabbath). But Jesus is LORD of the Sabbath, he is the owner of the day. It seems to me those are the words that dominate that particular passsage of Scripture, and we ought to reflect deeply on what it might mean that he wants that day in particular.

Moderator note. Erick, you sure appear to be placing the governing doctrinal standard of this board on a par with Pharisaicalism. Yes; avoiding our regular callings and recreations on the Lord's day is what God had in mind; not all activity; we should be active in the public and private worship of God.

Well we know that the WCF is against it but it always make me think of how Jesus went out of his way to do things on the Sabbath just to get under the Pharisees skin and in this way bring up a point, the Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.

Matthew 12

Jesus Is Lord of the Sabbath
1At that time£Jesus went through the grainfields on the Sabbath. His disciples were hungry, and they began to pluck heads of grain and to eat. 2But when the Pharisees saw it, they said to him, “Look, your disciples are doing what is not lawful to do on the Sabbath.” 3He said to them, “Have you not read what David did when he was hungry, and those who were with him: 4how he entered the house of God and ate the bread of the Presence, which it was not lawful for him to eat nor for those who were with him, but only for the priests? 5Or have you not read in the Law how on the Sabbath the priests in the temple profane the Sabbath and are guiltless? 6I tell you, something greater than the temple is here. 7And if you had known what this means,£‘I desire mercy, and not sacrifice,’ you would not have condemned the guiltless. 8For the Son of Man is lord of the Sabbath.”

A Man with a Withered Hand
9He went on from there and£entered their synagogue. 10And a man was there with a withered hand. And they asked him, “Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath?”—so that they might accuse him. 11He said to them, “Which one of you who has a sheep, if it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will not take hold of it and lift it out? 12Of how much more value is a man than a sheep! So it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath.” 13Then he said to the man, “Stretch out your hand.” And the man stretched it out, and it was restored, healthy like the other. 14But the Pharisees went out and conspired against him, how to destroy him.

Luke 13:10
A Woman with a Disabling Spirit
10Now he was teaching in one of the synagogues on the Sabbath. 11And there was a woman who had had a disabling spirit for eighteen years. She was bent over and could not fully straighten herself. 12When Jesus saw her, he called her over and said to her, “Woman, you are freed from your disability.” 13And he laid his hands on her, and immediately she was made straight, and she glorified God. 14But the ruler of the synagogue, indignant because Jesus had healed on the Sabbath, said to the people, “There are six days in which work ought to be done. Come on those days and be healed, and not on the Sabbath day.” 15Then the Lord answered him, “You hypocrites! Does not each of you on the Sabbath untie his ox or his donkey from the manger and lead it away to water it? 16And ought not this woman, a daughter of Abraham whom Satan bound for eighteen years, be loosed from this bond on the Sabbath day?” 17As he said these things, all his adversaries were put to shame, and all the people rejoiced at all the glorious things that were done by him.

The Jewish notion of how they followed the Sabbath came mostly from the extra laws they added to those given to them by God and I think we should be careful to no do the same thing. All the talk of how to avoid doing different activities on the Sabbath even to the point of not watching T.V. reminds me of the Jews adding things to their law. I guess motive is the important thing, why are we avoiding all activity on the Sabbath? And is it what God had in mind? The Jews thought they had it right but in the end missed the point of the Sabbath. :2cents:

Not sure if this is the proper forum or question to confess but I must confess to my brethren that I have been a Sabbath breaker for many years especially during the Pro Football Season. :oops:

I am now seeing it at this later stage in life (ok I'm only 38 but you'd think I would have learned this principle by now being a Reformed Presbyterian for so many years) as something I need to come to grips with. My initial reaction to this thread having come from Fundamentalism is that there is a tendency among Strict Sabbatarians to be "legalistic" in their approach as well as binding others' conscience. But I know see it as a delight and that those who defend the Scriptural and Confessional view of the Sabbath want God to have one's very best as well as for others to enjoy what focusing on God for the "Whole" Day entails. I really feel at least for me that my denial of Sabbatarian guidelines is holding on to an idol which links me to childhood and is something I like therefore I do not want to give it up. Sound familiar? (insert any favorite sin here if you'd like). :banghead:

But as I said on another thread regarding the RPW, times are a changin'. Men please pray for me that I will embrace the Joy of the Sabbath and that I would turn from focusing on my own pleasure to bring honor and Glory to God. I know what it is like to do so as I have been part of a Church in the past which gathered for Worship and then Fellowship in the afternoon aiding one another in Sabbath Keeping. I remember how edifying it was to focus on Christ All day however I did not continue that practice for long but now would like to engage in it once again.

Chris...

The WCF doesn't go into the minutia because, I believe, they weren't supposed to. Even if they tried, there was probably difference of opinion and latitude.
WCF 21.8. VIII. This Sabbath is to be kept holy unto the Lord when men, after a due preparing of their hearts, and ordering of their common affairs beforehand, do not only observe an holy rest all the day from their own works, words, and thoughts about their worldly employments and recreations; but also are taken up the whole time in the public and private exercises of his worship, and in the duties of necessity and mercy.
Answer: The sins forbidden in the fourth commandment are, all omissions of the duties required, all careless, negligent, and unprofitable performing of them, and being weary of them; all profaning the day by idleness, and doing that which is in itself sinful; and by all needless works, words, and thoughts, about our worldly employments and recreations.
Kevin,

That's exactly what I'm saying, we don't need lists. However, the WCF has to be embraced, just as the Scriptures that underlie it, by the conscience.

Let me reiterate that I am not relegating the Sabbath to adiaphora, however, it does share a frontier. We can say it shares a frontier with the binding of the conscience because that is exactly what the Pharisees attempted to do to Jesus and His disciples. Jesus' conscience would not be bound to the minutia and listing that the Pharisees wanted to postulate. So, in that way, we can apply the same kind of rationale as asking if the meat we buy is sacrificed to idols. Paul tells us to leave the question aside and don't go out of your way to bind your own conscience.

Moreover, we have the freedom to bind our consciences according to the Sabbath. If you believe it is okay to take a walk on the Sabbath for the enjoyment of God in nature, then by all means, do so. If you believe that taking a nap is permissible, then do it. But, by having the conversation of what you believe is permissible as opposed to what I believe is permissible is unduly binding the conscience. We cannot, In my humble opinion, doctrinally lay down the law on enjoying nature or taking a nap. If we do, these are the commandments and doctrines of man because the Scriptures do not say explicitly that we cannot do those things. Chapter 20 of the WCF, section 2 says, "God alone is Lord of the conscience, and has left it free from the doctrines and commandments of men, which are, in any thing, contrary to His Word; or beside it, if matters of faith, or worship. So that, to believe such doctrines, or to obey such commands, out of conscience, is to betray true liberty of conscience: and the requiring of an implicit faith, and an absolute and blind obedience, is to destroy liberty of conscience, and reason also." If we interpret the Scriptures to say that we can't take a walk or a nap, we are placing things along side the Scriptures, of which, we may not bind any man's conscience.

If we say that something is permissible, and something else is not then we have started a list. Since the WCF doesn't expressly say, then we have to appeal to the Lord of the conscience.

What we should teach regarding the Sabbath is for our congregations to keep it by faith. What does that mean?

First, without faith it is impossible to please God. If we unduly bind anyone's conscience so that they carry out their Sabbath duties in what the WCF would call blind obedience, then we can be assured that God will not be pleased with either our Sabbath keeping or theirs (since we are all in this together).

Along with that, faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God. We need to teach Sabbath duties as the Scriptures teaches. The Scriptures didn't say anything about taking a nature hike or a nap. So, how can we say that these are unlawful? The teaching of the Sabbath command is fairly straightforward. We are to rest except in cases of necessity and mercy. We are not to work, and attempt to gain extra wages from working that day. How this plays out in the life of the church and each individual member must be left up to their conscience.

The Scriptures are clear with what is forbidden on the Sabbath. Doing our own pleasure. Now this needs to be carefully considered because what my idea of doing my own pleasure may be different than someone else's. This is where Pharisaism comes into play. Surely it is my pleasure to worship God on the Lord's Day. So, that cannot be forbidden. Surely it is a pleasure to read good words from Scripture or from an exposition of such. That cannot be forbidden. Here's where it gets sticky: Surely it is a pleasure to meet a new person at church and ask them about themselves. But according to the letter, we are to leave our worldly thoughts and employments at the door. What about talking to relatives on the phone? I know a pastor who usually talks to his children who live away from him on the Lord's Day. While the subject of the Lord's Day and the Scriptures may definitely be discussed, there are other discussions as well. Do you see how far we can go?

For instance, my family and I are attending a new church work in St. Augustine. For reasons of practicality, they have contracted with a hotel to have their services in a conference room. By the very nature of a hotel, this is causing people to have to work on the Sabbath. Right, wrong, or indifferent this causes a Sabbath crisis. Of course, we would say that this is an exception that is warranted, just like Dr. Pipa having to eat in a hotel restaurant on the Sabbath. But, according to the command, may we make exceptions? Yes, because of necessity and mercy. But there is a larger principal here.

If keeping the Sabbath is a question of faith, then we must, by and because of God's grace, allow a bit of latitude. We must be flexible to allow for differing opinions because, largely, the keeping of the commandments is a sanctification issue. Most, if not all of us, would say that it is pretty easy not to break the 6th commandment. However, how many of us have broken it? All of us. It goes to the intricacies of God's being. Do we get angry and sin against our brother or our neighbor? Absolutely. If we do, then we have committed murder.

The Sabbath is no different. Even if we get it down to a science and we're all doing exactly what we're supposed to do. At the end of the day, 1) we obeyed because the Holy Spirit is at work in us to sanctify us, 2) we did not obey perfectly, and 3) we're rendering service as unprofitable servants.

Because those three things are true, we should not allow anyone to willfully sin on the Sabbath with impunity. For instance, we should not allow church members to willfully neglect the gathering without calling them to account. But by and large people are not flaunting their sin in front of the church on the Sabbath. If they do, we should call them to repentance. However, we should also not try to play the Holy Spirit in people's lives and bind their consciences in ways that we should not. We should pray with them and for them, just as we pray for ourselves, that we all would honor the Christian Sabbath in ways that would honor and bring glory to God. Binding or even wounding anyone's conscience in such matters would steal people's joy and dishonor God.

In the end, we need to weigh it on the scales. If we bind and wound, yet everyone "keeps" the Sabbath, does it bring honor and glory to God? If we let everyone do their own thing, forsake the assembly, and worship in a flippant and haphazard way, does it bring honor and glory to God? Surely there is a balance and we should do all we can to be encouraging and edifying to our brothers and sisters.

In Christ,

KC

Kevin,
I appreciate your concern for a light hand and pastoral approach particularly given this is a time where the fourth commandment is generally disregarded. However, my concern is that you seem to not want it even discussed in the process of trying to guard against binding the conscience and finding the right balance. While they gave no lists (not needing to given the total proscribing of recreations and work) in the Westminster Confession and Catechism, the Puritans most surely addressed details in their sermons and books before, during and after the Assembly. We know what recreations/passtimes and labor are as distinguished from worship activities. We should not leave these up in the air as indeterminable. Walks (i.e. exercise; not recreation properly understood) and naps are discussed by Puritans such as Twisse (the moderator of the WA) as appropriate if a means to help keep the day, and some need one or the other or both more than others. I just don't see the alarm that others do; as Bruce noted, our problem today is not too strict an approach to the Lord's day.

Kevin,

That's exactly what I'm saying, we don't need lists. However, the WCF has to be embraced, just as the Scriptures that underlie it, by the conscience.

Let me reiterate that I am not relegating the Sabbath to adiaphora, however, it does share a frontier. We can say it shares a frontier with the binding of the conscience because that is exactly what the Pharisees attempted to do to Jesus and His disciples. Jesus' conscience would not be bound to the minutia and listing that the Pharisees wanted to postulate. So, in that way, we can apply the same kind of rationale as asking if the meat we buy is sacrificed to idols. Paul tells us to leave the question aside and don't go out of your way to bind your own conscience.

Moreover, we have the freedom to bind our consciences according to the Sabbath. If you believe it is okay to take a walk on the Sabbath for the enjoyment of God in nature, then by all means, do so. If you believe that taking a nap is permissible, then do it. But, by having the conversation of what you believe is permissible as opposed to what I believe is permissible is unduly binding the conscience. We cannot, In my humble opinion, doctrinally lay down the law on enjoying nature or taking a nap. If we do, these are the commandments and doctrines of man because the Scriptures do not say explicitly that we cannot do those things. Chapter 20 of the WCF, section 2 says, "God alone is Lord of the conscience, and has left it free from the doctrines and commandments of men, which are, in any thing, contrary to His Word; or beside it, if matters of faith, or worship. So that, to believe such doctrines, or to obey such commands, out of conscience, is to betray true liberty of conscience: and the requiring of an implicit faith, and an absolute and blind obedience, is to destroy liberty of conscience, and reason also." If we interpret the Scriptures to say that we can't take a walk or a nap, we are placing things along side the Scriptures, of which, we may not bind any man's conscience.

If we say that something is permissible, and something else is not then we have started a list. Since the WCF doesn't expressly say, then we have to appeal to the Lord of the conscience.

What we should teach regarding the Sabbath is for our congregations to keep it by faith. What does that mean?

First, without faith it is impossible to please God. If we unduly bind anyone's conscience so that they carry out their Sabbath duties in what the WCF would call blind obedience, then we can be assured that God will not be pleased with either our Sabbath keeping or theirs (since we are all in this together).

Along with that, faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God. We need to teach Sabbath duties as the Scriptures teaches. The Scriptures didn't say anything about taking a nature hike or a nap. So, how can we say that these are unlawful? The teaching of the Sabbath command is fairly straightforward. We are to rest except in cases of necessity and mercy. We are not to work, and attempt to gain extra wages from working that day. How this plays out in the life of the church and each individual member must be left up to their conscience.

The Scriptures are clear with what is forbidden on the Sabbath. Doing our own pleasure. Now this needs to be carefully considered because what my idea of doing my own pleasure may be different than someone else's. This is where Pharisaism comes into play. Surely it is my pleasure to worship God on the Lord's Day. So, that cannot be forbidden. Surely it is a pleasure to read good words from Scripture or from an exposition of such. That cannot be forbidden. Here's where it gets sticky: Surely it is a pleasure to meet a new person at church and ask them about themselves. But according to the letter, we are to leave our worldly thoughts and employments at the door. What about talking to relatives on the phone? I know a pastor who usually talks to his children who live away from him on the Lord's Day. While the subject of the Lord's Day and the Scriptures may definitely be discussed, there are other discussions as well. Do you see how far we can go?

For instance, my family and I are attending a new church work in St. Augustine. For reasons of practicality, they have contracted with a hotel to have their services in a conference room. By the very nature of a hotel, this is causing people to have to work on the Sabbath. Right, wrong, or indifferent this causes a Sabbath crisis. Of course, we would say that this is an exception that is warranted, just like Dr. Pipa having to eat in a hotel restaurant on the Sabbath. But, according to the command, may we make exceptions? Yes, because of necessity and mercy. But there is a larger principal here.

If keeping the Sabbath is a question of faith, then we must, by and because of God's grace, allow a bit of latitude. We must be flexible to allow for differing opinions because, largely, the keeping of the commandments is a sanctification issue. Most, if not all of us, would say that it is pretty easy not to break the 6th commandment. However, how many of us have broken it? All of us. It goes to the intricacies of God's being. Do we get angry and sin against our brother or our neighbor? Absolutely. If we do, then we have committed murder.

The Sabbath is no different. Even if we get it down to a science and we're all doing exactly what we're supposed to do. At the end of the day, 1) we obeyed because the Holy Spirit is at work in us to sanctify us, 2) we did not obey perfectly, and 3) we're rendering service as unprofitable servants.

Because those three things are true, we should not allow anyone to willfully sin on the Sabbath with impunity. For instance, we should not allow church members to willfully neglect the gathering without calling them to account. But by and large people are not flaunting their sin in front of the church on the Sabbath. If they do, we should call them to repentance. However, we should also not try to play the Holy Spirit in people's lives and bind their consciences in ways that we should not. We should pray with them and for them, just as we pray for ourselves, that we all would honor the Christian Sabbath in ways that would honor and bring glory to God. Binding or even wounding anyone's conscience in such matters would steal people's joy and dishonor God.

In the end, we need to weigh it on the scales. If we bind and wound, yet everyone "keeps" the Sabbath, does it bring honor and glory to God? If we let everyone do their own thing, forsake the assembly, and worship in a flippant and haphazard way, does it bring honor and glory to God? Surely there is a balance and we should do all we can to be encouraging and edifying to our brothers and sisters.

In Christ,

KC

Kevin,
I appreciate your concern for a light hand and pastoral approach particularly given this is a time where the fourth commandment is generally disregarded. However, my concern is that you seem to not want it even discussed in the process of trying to guard against binding the conscience and finding the right balance. While they gave no lists (not needing to given the total proscribing of recreations and work) in the Westminster Confession and Catechism, the Puritans most surely addressed details in their sermons and books before, during and after the Assembly. We know what recreations/passtimes and labor are as distinguished from worship activities. We should not leave these up in the air as indeterminable. Walks (i.e. exercise; not recreation properly understood) and naps are discussed by Puritans such as Twisse (the moderator of the WA) as appropriate if a means to help keep the day, and some need one or the other or both more than others. I just don't see the alarm that others do; as Bruce noted, our problem today is not too strict an approach to the Lord's day.

Your statement that the Sabbath is disregarded is exactly what I'm getting at. You're looking at a positive command and seeing it negatively applied. We shouldn't focus on how we're not keeping it, but how to keep it. That is exactly the slippery slope I'm suggesting we avoid. If you say that this group or that disregards it because they do something that you believe is not permissible, then you have bound their conscience, either rightly or wrongly, and that's up to the Lord of the conscience. If that group does not have the faith to obey the command as you see it, then do you really want to make it an issue? Wouldn't it be better to teach what the Scriptures teach and allow the individual family make up their own minds? Wouldn't it be better to trust the Holy Spirit to work in that family to bring about the kind of change of mind and heart in His own time?

I guess what I really am saying is that the Puritans went too far on this issue. And where they went too far is in making lists of do's and dont's. No one can glean from the Scriptures that it is unlawful to play horseshoes on the Sabbath. I'm sorry, they just can't. They can make the statement that it is unlawful if he has neglected the worship of the Lord so that he can make extra money. But horseshoes within itself, after worship and fellowship with the saints, in the cool of the afternoon, should not be sinful for every man. If it is sinful for you, then don't do it. But don't tell someone else it is sinful for them unless it is expressly set down in Scripture.

Because "worldly employments and recreations" does not give a full description of everything that means. It is a principal to be applied, sure. But not a principal from which lists may be made, and unsolicited statements may be forced upon another. If a man asks you what you think it means, it is fair game. But pastors and elders should not make it their business to go beyond the pale and insert their sensitivities into the lives of others on any obedience issue that is not clearly marked out in Scripture.

It is work to saddle a horse and go for a ride. Some would say this violates the command, some would not. That horse has to be fed on the Sabbath, does it not? Is there anything expressly set down in Scripture that says a man cannot ride a horse on the Sabbath?

More to the point. We may need to turn on the TV so that we can be warned of impending storms. Or should we just turn on the radio? The minutia is endless. The fact that we rationalize some activities by putting them squarely in the acts of necessity and mercy, when at other times they are clearly out of bounds either shows that we do not obey the command as it was intended, or there is latitude on the activities of the day. If the electricity is out when you get home from church, not having eaten yet, will you open a box of crackers and eat whatever is available, or do you not have the freedom to go to a restaurant? Many call this necessity who argue for a more strict interpretation, but it is not a necessity.

The best example I can give is John Murray and Dr. Pipa. Both are great men of the faith. However, they would differ on what they believe is permissible on the Sabbath. And both are strict sabbatarians. What is wrong with that? They both can't be right because they are at odds. Dr. Pipa says it is okay to eat at the hotel restaurant if nothing else is available. Dr. Murray would say that you should have made a sandwich for just such an occasion. Forgive me if I'm wrong in this. This is my impression from hearing Dr. Smith talk about Dr. Murray on Sabbath issues.

If we can't agree on these particulars, but agree on the principals, then we should fall back to a less strict position and allow the Holy Spirit to convince each other, as only He can do. We don't agree on things because our brains are in sync or because we are all around great guys. The only reason for likemindedness among the brethren (which is like oil flowing down from Aaron's beard) is because of the Holy Spirit and His work in our lives.

Therefore, we should teach what the Bible teaches, express our thoughts formed from those Scriptures, but be careful in what we permit or what we deny. The sin of the people is at stake. If we go too far, sins could multiply greatly, either because the people choose to disobey the positive command out of rebellion, or because they obey the doctrine of man, thereby not pleasing God in faith.

We may discuss the Sabbath all we want. But what I'm saying is that we should be careful in how we approach it. You didn't address it as a faith issue. Do you believe it is? If so, doesn't that lend to a special care in binding the conscience?

In Christ,

KC

Naphtali says:
as Bruce noted, our problem today is not too strict an approach to the Lord's day.

Honestly the approach of the day for most Christians is how much can I enjoy, work, or get done in the day between services which I believe calls for a hearty application of the 4th Commandment. I believe there are 10 Commandments right? We heartily apply each commandment when Preaching through the Commandments so why do some now want to have the 4th Commandment as a freebie than can be applied as they see fit in their own mind? (All rhetorical questions of course). :um:

Kevin,
Okay; you have elaborated more now and I get it. I think you should own up to an exception to the Westminster Standards on the fourth commandment and also to LC 99. That's all I have time for.

Kevin,

Your statement that the Sabbath is disregarded is exactly what I'm getting at. You're looking at a positive command and seeing it negatively applied. We shouldn't focus on how we're not keeping it, but how to keep it. That is exactly the slippery slope I'm suggesting we avoid. If you say that this group or that disregards it because they do something that you believe is not permissible, then you have bound their conscience, either rightly or wrongly, and that's up to the Lord of the conscience. If that group does not have the faith to obey the command as you see it, then do you really want to make it an issue? Wouldn't it be better to teach what the Scriptures teach and allow the individual family make up their own minds? Wouldn't it be better to trust the Holy Spirit to work in that family to bring about the kind of change of mind and heart in His own time?

I guess what I really am saying is that the Puritans went too far on this issue. And where they went too far is in making lists of do's and dont's. No one can glean from the Scriptures that it is unlawful to play horseshoes on the Sabbath. I'm sorry, they just can't. They can make the statement that it is unlawful if he has neglected the worship of the Lord so that he can make extra money. But horseshoes within itself, after worship and fellowship with the saints, in the cool of the afternoon, should not be sinful for every man. If it is sinful for you, then don't do it. But don't tell someone else it is sinful for them unless it is expressly set down in Scripture.

Because "worldly employments and recreations" does not give a full description of everything that means. It is a principal to be applied, sure. But not a principal from which lists may be made, and unsolicited statements may be forced upon another. If a man asks you what you think it means, it is fair game. But pastors and elders should not make it their business to go beyond the pale and insert their sensitivities into the lives of others on any obedience issue that is not clearly marked out in Scripture.

It is work to saddle a horse and go for a ride. Some would say this violates the command, some would not. That horse has to be fed on the Sabbath, does it not? Is there anything expressly set down in Scripture that says a man cannot ride a horse on the Sabbath?

More to the point. We may need to turn on the TV so that we can be warned of impending storms. Or should we just turn on the radio? The minutia is endless. The fact that we rationalize some activities by putting them squarely in the acts of necessity and mercy, when at other times they are clearly out of bounds either shows that we do not obey the command as it was intended, or there is latitude on the activities of the day. If the electricity is out when you get home from church, not having eaten yet, will you open a box of crackers and eat whatever is available, or do you not have the freedom to go to a restaurant? Many call this necessity who argue for a more strict interpretation, but it is not a necessity.

The best example I can give is John Murray and Dr. Pipa. Both are great men of the faith. However, they would differ on what they believe is permissible on the Sabbath. And both are strict sabbatarians. What is wrong with that? They both can't be right because they are at odds. Dr. Pipa says it is okay to eat at the hotel restaurant if nothing else is available. Dr. Murray would say that you should have made a sandwich for just such an occasion. Forgive me if I'm wrong in this. This is my impression from hearing Dr. Smith talk about Dr. Murray on Sabbath issues.

If we can't agree on these particulars, but agree on the principals, then we should fall back to a less strict position and allow the Holy Spirit to convince each other, as only He can do. We don't agree on things because our brains are in sync or because we are all around great guys. The only reason for likemindedness among the brethren (which is like oil flowing down from Aaron's beard) is because of the Holy Spirit and His work in our lives.

Therefore, we should teach what the Bible teaches, express our thoughts formed from those Scriptures, but be careful in what we permit or what we deny. The sin of the people is at stake. If we go too far, sins could multiply greatly, either because the people choose to disobey the positive command out of rebellion, or because they obey the doctrine of man, thereby not pleasing God in faith.

We may discuss the Sabbath all we want. But what I'm saying is that we should be careful in how we approach it. You didn't address it as a faith issue. Do you believe it is? If so, doesn't that lend to a special care in binding the conscience?

In Christ,

KC

Naphtali says:
as Bruce noted, our problem today is not too strict an approach to the Lord's day.

Honestly the approach of the day for most Christians is how much can I enjoy, work, or get done in the day between services which I believe calls for a hearty application of the 4th Commandment. I believe there are 10 Commandments right? We heartily apply each commandment when Preaching through the Commandments so why do some now want to have the 4th Commandment as a freebie than can be applied as they see fit in their own mind? (All rhetorical questions of course). :um:

This is a difficult commandment to apply. It helps us see our sinful tendency to not want God in a way few other things do so we must cry out for God's mercy and then His grace to try to keep it.

I can tell you there is great blessing in trying, by God's grace to obey this. The practical benefits (health, less fatigue, informed worship, helps one keep all the other commandments) are not the primary reason to keep it- the fact that God commands us to do so is. But God, in His gracious goodness has given the Christian a great blessing and rest that you can really come to enjoy and even to look forward to.

You may find helpful GI Williamson, "Westminster Confession of Faith for Study Classes" helpful in understand your Confession's summary of Scripture on this, p220-225. Also, take the time to careful read and medidate upon the Scripture proofs of the Westminster Confession to see the very solid basis for this in God's Word.

Naphtali says:

This is a difficult commandment to apply. It helps us see our sinful tendency to not want God in a way few other things do so we must cry out for God's mercy and then His grace to try to keep it.

I can tell you there is great blessing in trying, by God's grace to obey this. The practical benefits (health, less fatigue, informed worship, helps one keep all the other commandments) are not the primary reason to keep it- the fact that God commands us to do so is. But God, in His gracious goodness has given the Christian a great blessing and rest that you can really come to enjoy and even to look forward to.

You may find helpful GI Williamson, "Westminster Confession of Faith for Study Classes" helpful in understand your Confession's summary of Scripture on this, p220-225. Also, take the time to careful read and medidate upon the Scripture proofs of the Westminster Confession to see the very solid basis for this in God's Word.

Scott,

You just cost me $42 :lol: I went to Amazon to look for Williamson's Study of the Confession then read a review where a guy and his girlfriend both are going through the study together so I ordered 2 for my wife and I do the same thing and then I realized I wanted an ESV Bible as a companion for the Study and ordered one of those as well. :lol: Oh well all worth the finanical investment I'm sure of it. ;)

Kevin,
Okay; you have elaborated more now and I get it. I think you should own up to an exception to the Westminster Standards on the fourth commandment and also to LC 99. That's all I have time for.

Really? I want to respect your time, but I'd also humbly ask if you could enumerate this for me.

I have not said that we shouldn't obey the 4th commandment or that we shouldn't keep the positive aspects of the command or sin by ignoring the negative aspects either.

I'm simply against making lists. So is Dr. Pipa, if I'm not misunderstanding him.

In Christ,

KC

I guess I should clarify, there is absolutely nothing wrong with keeping one day in seven set apart to worship and think upon the Lord, if more people did this, even Christians, the country would absolutely be a better place. As long as when doing so the one doing it is not lording it over the ones who are not. If the one keeping the Sabbath holy is sort of bragging about all the things they do not do on Sunday then I don't think that is the attitude God has in mind when he instituted a day of rest. Like the person above stated the practice of strict Sabbatarianism can get to be sort of legalistic and lead to the same sort of attitude that Jesus was against. If one group goes out of there way to be strict on there Sabbath keeping it leads to others going to the other extreme and not keeping it at all, this is just the nature of humanity.

I guess my point is motive. What is the motive one has for obeying the Sabbath? If it is truly to honor God and do what pleases him this would not lead to a self-righteous attitude. (This is not directed at anyone in particular, it is just a general statement). If one is truly trying to have a mind like Christ then they will think on the Lord most or all days and not just on Sunday. It is not necessary to stop all work to think on the Lord or keep him in mind. Sometimes it is easier to think while working or partaking in an activity that would be considered to be work, that is, acts of physical exertion.

Kevin,
Here's a list:
Things not to do on Lord's days
Recreations.
Callings.

We have to understand the standards first as to the original intent which in this case is strict sabbatarianism and they proscribe all recreation as well as work. You said you had a problem wrt recreation. That requires an exception in my opinion. On LC 99, with the commands to duty, the contrary sins are included, where a sin prohibited, the positive duties are included.

Kevin,

Really? I want to respect your time, but I'd also humbly ask if you could enumerate this for me.

I have not said that we shouldn't obey the 4th commandment or that we shouldn't keep the positive aspects of the command or sin by ignoring the negative aspects either.

I'm simply against making lists. So is Dr. Pipa, if I'm not misunderstanding him.

In Christ,

KC

The Necessity of Lists

From the Larger Catechism on the 4th Commandment:

Q. 115. Which is the fourth commandment?

A. The fourth commandment is, Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work; but the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy man-servant, nor thy maid-servant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates. For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested in the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath-day and hallowed it.[621].

Q. 116. What is required in the fourth commandment?

A. The fourth commandment requireth of all men the sanctifying or keeping holy to God such set times as he hath appointed in his Word, expressly one whole day in seven; which was the seventh from the beginning of the world to the resurrection of Christ, and the first day of the week ever since, and so to continue to the end of the world; which is the Christian sabbath,[622] and in the New Testament called The Lord’s day.[623]

Q. 117. How is the sabbath or the Lord’s day to be sanctified?

A. The sabbath or Lord’s day is to be sanctified by an holy resting all the day,[624] not only from such works as are at all times sinful, but even from such worldly employments and recreations as are on other days lawful;[625] and making it our delight to spend the whole time (except so much of it as is to be taken up in works of necessity and mercy[626]) in the public and private exercises of God’s worship:[627] and, to that end, we are to prepare our hearts, and with such foresight, diligence, and moderation, to dispose and seasonably dispatch our worldly business, that we may be the more free and fit for the duties of that day.[628]

Q. 118. Why is the charge of keeping the sabbath more specially directed to governors of families, and other superiors?

A. The charge of keeping the sabbath is more specially directed to governors of families, and other superiors, because they are bound not only to keep it themselves, but to see that it be observed by all those that are under their charge; and because they are prone ofttimes to hinder them by employments of their own.[629]

Q. 119. What are the sins forbidden in the fourth commandment?

A. The sins forbidden in the fourth commandment are, all omissions of the duties required,[630] all careless, negligent, and unprofitable performing of them, and being weary of them;[631] all profaning the day by idleness, and doing that which is in itself sinful;[632] and by all needless works, words, and thoughts, about our worldly employments and recreations.[633]

Q. 120. What are the reasons annexed to the fourth commandment, the more to enforce it?

A. The reasons annexed to the fourth commandment, the more to enforce it, are taken from the equity of it, God allowing us six days of seven for our own affairs, and reserving but one for himself in these words, Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:[634] from God’s challenging a special propriety in that day, The seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God:[635] from the example of God, who in six days made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: and from that blessing which God put upon that day, not only in sanctifying it to be a day for his service, but in ordaining it to be a means of blessing to us in our sanctifying it; Wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.[636]

Q. 121. Why is the word Remember set in the beginning of the fourth commandment?

A. The word Remember is set in the beginning of the fourth commandment,[637] partly, because of the great benefit of remembering it, we being thereby helped in our preparation to keep it,[638] and, in keeping it, better to keep all the rest of the commandments,[639] and to continue a thankful remembrance of the two great benefits of creation and redemption, which contain a short abridgment of religion;[640] and partly, because we are very ready to forget it,[641] for that there is less light of nature for it,[642] and yet it restraineth our natural liberty in things at other times lawful;[643] that it cometh but once in seven days, and many worldly businesses come between, and too often take off our minds from thinking of it, either to prepare for it, or to sanctify it;[644] and that Satan with his instruments labours much to blot out the glory, and even the memory of it, to bring in all irreligion and impiety.[645]

In order to obey, '(except so much of it as is to be taken up in works of necessity and mercy[626])' & 'but even from such worldly employments and recreations as are on other days lawful;[625]', we need to make a list of what things are 'works of necessity and mercy.' We would also need to make a list of 'worldly employments and recreations as are on other days lawful.' Without such lists we cannot determine whether or not we are being obedient to the commandment. Whether these lists are personal lists, or lists written by godly men, is immaterial. Lists are a necessity. My list breaks down into the twofold category outlined by the WLC.

Works of:

1. Necessity
    a. Starting my car to go to church
    b. Cooking breakfast or lunch
    c. If I break something, like a curly-q lightbulb which releases mercury vapor, I have it cleaned up
    d. If I hurt myself, I have it looked at
  2. Mercy
    a. If I own animals I feed them
    b. Look in on the elderly lady upstairs and find out if she needs anything

Acts that are lawful on other days:

1. Employment
    a. I work at the Post Office, so no problem for my job
    b. Housework and yard work I do not, unless it falls under works of necessity; I'm not going to dig some fence post holes and put up a fence, when I could have done it on Saturday or could do it on Monday. But if my horses are going to go running about, because the fence is broken, then it is a work of necessity.
  2. Recreation
    a. No video games
    b. No TV, which generally becomes idleness for me on regular days
    c. The internet is used for reading about or researching the things of God

Everything I do must be brought to these two categories and dealt with. If it cannot fit under the first category of 'necessity & mercy', then I don't do it. Worldly recreations don't fit under necessity and mercy. I see this as also falling under 2 Cor 10:4, 5 and showing my gratitude to God for His deliverance(HC Q/A 2).

WCF 20:2 "20:2 God alone is Lord of the conscience (Rom 14:4; James 4:12), and hath left it free from the doctrines and commandments of men, which are in any thing contrary to His Word; or beside it, if matters of faith or worship (Matt 15:9; 23:8-10; Acts 4:19; 5:29; 1 Cor 7:23). So that, to believe such doctrines, or to obey such commands, out of conscience, is to betray true liberty of conscience (Psa 5:1; Gal 1:10; 2:4, 5; 5:1; Col 2:20-23): and the requiring of an implicit faith, and an absolute and blind obedience is to destroy liberty of conscience, and reason also (Isa 8:20; Jer 8:9; Hos 5:11; John 4:22; Acts 17:11; Rom 10:17; 14:23; Rev 13:12, 16, 17)."

Colossians 2:8-19 "8See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits£ of the world, and not according to Christ. 9For in him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily, 10and you have been filled in him, who is the head of all rule and authority. 11In him also you were circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ, 12having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through faith in the powerful working of God, who raised him from the dead. 13And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses, 14by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross. 15He disarmed the rulers and authorities£ and put them to open shame, by triumphing over them in him.£

Let No One Disqualify You

16Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath. 17These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ. 18Let no one disqualify you, insisting on asceticism and worship of angels, going on in detail about visions,£ puffed up without reason by his sensuous mind, 19and not holding fast to the Head, from whom the whole body, nourished and knit together through its joints and ligaments, grows with a growth that is from God."

whitway
Puritanboard Freshman

You just cost me $42 I went to Amazon to look for Williamson's Study of the Confession then read a review where a guy and his girlfriend both are going through the study together so I ordered 2 for my wife and I do the same thing and then I realized I wanted an ESV Bible as a companion for the Study and ordered one of those as well. Oh well all worth the finanical investment I'm sure of it.

At the risk of further breaking your bank, you may also find the blue PCA notebook that contains the Confession helpful. It is easy to make notes in in this format.
The notebook includes:

1) An (excellent) historical summary of the Reformation and Presbyterianism
2) Westminster Confession of Faith with Scripture proofs at the bottom of each page
3) Westminster Larger Catechism with Scripture proofs at the bottom of each page
4) Westminster Shorter Catechism with Scripture proofs at the bottom of each page
5) PCA Book of Church Order
6) PCA Rules of Assembly Operations

This is a reference you can use to study Scripture and consider the Confession doctrine that will last many, many years.

Item Detail

Moved to Law of God forum. On the question of pitting WCF 20 against WCF 21, someone can start a new thread. As for this thread, get back to the specific question of the Opening Post.

WCF 20:2 "20:2 God alone is Lord of the conscience (Rom 14:4; James 4:12), and hath left it free from the doctrines and commandments of men, which are in any thing contrary to His Word; or beside it, if matters of faith or worship (Matt 15:9; 23:8-10; Acts 4:19; 5:29; 1 Cor 7:23).

Eric, I think you are misunderstanding the Confession. The Confession's teaching re the Sabbath itself did not think it was "doctrine and commandment of men, which are in any thing contrary to His Word."

We are a confessional board. Exceptions are allowed. But we don't want misrepresentation or mistakes spread regarding what the drafters of the Confession thought and taught.

BTW, I'm not a WCF guy, strictly speaking, but I think the drafters of the LBCF had the same point of view.

whitway
Puritanboard Freshman

You just cost me $42 I went to Amazon to look for Williamson's Study of the Confession then read a review where a guy and his girlfriend both are going through the study together so I ordered 2 for my wife and I do the same thing and then I realized I wanted an ESV Bible as a companion for the Study and ordered one of those as well. Oh well all worth the finanical investment I'm sure of it.

At the risk of further breaking your bank, you may also find the blue PCA notebook that contains the Confession helpful. It is easy to make notes in in this format.
The notebook includes:

1) An (excellent) historical summary of the Reformation and Presbyterianism
2) Westminster Confession of Faith with Scripture proofs at the bottom of each page
3) Westminster Larger Catechism with Scripture proofs at the bottom of each page
4) Westminster Shorter Catechism with Scripture proofs at the bottom of each page
5) PCA Book of Church Order
6) PCA Rules of Assembly Operations

This is a reference you can use to study Scripture and consider the Confession doctrine that will last many, many years.

Item Detail

The Bank is Broken but I made the purchase. Thanks Again Scott! You sure you don't get a Commission on these recommendations? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back