NHL Hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poimen

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
A new season is upon us. Last night my Canucks played the Calgary Flames and burned them badly. 6-0. Ouch.

:flamingscot:

I think Vancouver will have a decent year with Captain Lou at the helm and many young ones trying to make a name for themselves.

So what are your teams and how do they stack up?

And by the way I am a moderator now and will therefore not tolerate any making fun of hockey, hockey fans or any other such nonsense. That's right - I'll drop the gloves and go Happy Gilmore on you.

I've always been a Leafs fan.

I've been wanting to say something about this year's team. They're starting all over, and have 11 young guys. Even the coach isn't expecting much from this team. But I think that if they even come close to matching last year's record it will say a lot about what really has been going on in the organization.

For the most part, since they last won the cup, they have played more to sell tickets than to place. Near the beginning of the season they try to make a reputation for themselves; and then late in the season they try to set themselves up for next season. It seems like that's all they're after. The rest of the time they're just a show that sells sold-out shows. Its not the players' faults, I think. Its the whole atmosphere, from top brass, management, and even the media. The players seem like they're not what the team is about. Its as if the top brass thinks its all about themselves and the business. The Ballard syndrome is still present.

I actually went to a game last year. After the game I looked at the ticket price again, and shook my head. I'll go to Blue Jay games instead. But I'm waiting to see what happens this year. All the stars are gone, and they might actually play like a real team; they've got nothing else to go on.

I like your analysis John. The Leafs may end up looking like many of the other Canadian teams this year: young and hungry.

With the money that players get they shouldn't be going hungry. :duh:

But yes, it has to be more than about the business aspect of the game. And with young guys on the team they'll really compete for excellence in the game, to hoist a trophy at the end of it all, to give their best go. It's going to be harder for Toronto than Vancouver or Calgary or Edmonton. Ottawa is half starting over, keeping most of their stars and going with a young support crew.

This is Montreal's year, I think. They always rise to the occasion, and this their 100'th anniversary. They're not the organization they used to be, but its hard to shed a hockey spirit that's been in the city of Montreal all this time.

Can you tell, Rev. Kok, that I watch hockey games when I should be doing my catechism? Don't tell Mom and Dad.

How 'bout them Atlanta Flames? Man that was a sad day for me when they left! I enjoyed the Blues when I lived in St. Louis a few years. Hockey is one of the few sports I can enjoy watching no matter who (or what level) is playing.

I could take Rich out but then the Puritanboard would cease to exist and my powers would also be dissolved, much like the ice that is left outside from the cleaning of the ice by a Zamboni.

I'm just joking. I just wanted to see what Daniel would really do.

Actually, Hockey is the only sport that my alma matter (RPI) is good at. We won the NCAA title in 1985.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back